[Usability] Restart on resume (1 Viewer)

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Just as an additional information from me: with the 10secs delay I have no frozen MP anymore since 3 days.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    So, I'll have to slap the plugin devs witg a large trout, I guess :-P
    Yeps, spank 'em hard :D and TNX for confirming.
    Let's give it some more days to be sure the issue is plugin related (and which one it is). Let us know how it goes!

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No more resuming issues so far. I'll contact the plugin devs.
    Resuming speed is a bit slow, maybe there's room for future optimizations.

Another idea: I keep having a program that steals focus after resume (LightsOut CLient), I've also contacted the LO-Developer who'll look into it. But right now, I have the taskbar in the front after resume. I do not want to use the "MP always on top" option as I use MPSteam, browse on my TV etc. How about an option like "Regain MP-focus x seconds after resume"?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    No more resuming issues so far. I'll contact the plugin devs.
    I'm happy!!! You 2?? :D

Resuming speed is a bit slow, maybe there's room for future optimizations.
    Are you using S4 (Hibernate) or S3 (Suspend)?
    S3 takes 3/4 seconds here on my Win 8.1 HTPC.

How about an option like "Regain MP-focus x seconds after resume"?
    That's a workaround for the problem, which should be fixed at is source >> LightsOut.

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You bet I am happy! ;-)
    I am using S3. Resume of the HTPC itself is fast, but I need the delay to have the server wake up (it's not on 24/7) and MePo itself also takes a while after the restart delay, so I need to wait about half a minute before the HTPC is usable after resume.

About the initial problem anyway:
    Yes, you helped me with great enthusiasm and I really appreciate that, I don't know if I haver h ad found these issues.
    But I still don't get your point completely about not implementing workarounds (or whatever one might call it). My problem was with MePo and MePo pligins itself, other cases may well be hardware related or they may be to 3rd party software that is not gonna be fixed.
    Would it really be wrong to release some workaround functionalities ion a plugin? I think not, still I agree that a fixed bug is better than a bug worked around.

99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
    Take one down, fix it around,
    123 little bugs in the code ;-)

But anyway, great work again :)

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    One issue with MPSync which I have discovered today: On the TV server I also use TV MOvie EPG IMport ++, which has options (that were enabled) to also access the movingpictures and tv database. This mighht have led to errors with the databases being locked during syncs. Will see how it does whithout these options (and have posted in the plugins thread as well)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Would it really be wrong to release some workaround functionalities ion a plugin? I think not, still I agree that a fixed bug is better than a bug worked around.
    Well, you kinda gave the answer yourself in the last line ;)
    When someone wants to release a plugin with a (temp) solution/workaround for the problem, that can't hurt, since it won't touch our core. Our experiences with workarounds is that they tend to stay in the code, instead of being properly fixed, within a specific timeframe after the workaround was added.
    The risk with workarounds is, that when the manufacturer (let's take LightsOut in this example) makes some updates, the 'workaround' code can interfere and cause even more headache.

One issue with MPSync which I have discovered today: On the TV server I also use TV MOvie EPG IMport ++, which has options (that were enabled) to also access the movingpictures and tv database. This mighht have led to errors with the databases being locked during syncs. Will see how it does whithout these options (and have posted in the plugins thread as well)
    Nice find ;) Let's hope you are able to fix the issues with either (or maybe both) your plugins related. This might indeed be the cause of the corrupted databases.

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Okay, worked for some days, today I switched off during live TV, on resume at 17:48 I get an error with a black screen and nonresponsive MP (but could exit with Alt-F4). Logs attached, does anybody know what this might have caused this one?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Weird one....
    You put the system to sleep, trigger a resume...
    Code:
    [2014-06-19 17:47:26,732] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DEVICECHANGE (Event: DBT_DEVICEARRIVAL)

... which all seems to go fine.
    Code:
    [2014-06-19 17:48:35,697] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [INFO ] - Main: OnResumeSuspend - Done

And then this happens:
    Code:
    [2014-06-19 17:48:35,769] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [INFO ] - Main: Exiting
    [2014-06-19 17:48:35,769] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - PlugInManager: Stop()

Now why is the PlugInManager stopping on resume? That i can't figure out...

Last 3 loglines:
    Code:
    [2014-06-19 17:48:39,329] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - TextureManager: Dispose()
    [2014-06-19 17:48:39,329] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [INFO ] - TexturePacker:Dispose()
    [2014-06-19 17:48:39,329] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - GUIFontManager SetDeviceNull()
    And then it ends...

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, I had a black screen. Task manager showed Mediaportal as "not responding". I waited quite a while to give processes time to do what they eventually have to do, when nothing happened I tried the "back" button on the remote, heard no click, nothing happened. I pressed Alt-F4 and then I was sent back to the Desktop. Maybe this is when the Pluginmanager stops?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom