[Usability] Restart on resume (1 Viewer)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Right... i forgot about your Alt-F4 for a bit there...

Can you recall if you had LiveTV running on ALL the previous suspends?
    I know there have been changes/improvements on the process order for OnSuspend this year, so maybe it's not 100% perfect yet...

** EDIT **
    Maybe you can try both Suspends a few times. One were you leave LiveTV running, and 1 were you stop LiveTV before suspending the system.
    That is, only when you have suspended the system with TV off and on. ;)

Last edited:

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have suspended the system in different states and was able to wake in either state correctly: Live TV on/off, Radio (Webstream/Satellite), Movies, Series, from main menu.
    I have seen the error "running on wrong stack" before from time to time, but i can't find the cause or circumstances triggering this.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Does the threading exception in the error log give any clues? The timing of that exception seems to match...
    Unfortunately not. The LoadSkin error simply indicates we have a threading issue with the plugin, which needs attention. But some are still incorrect (like the ones from AtmoLight and EventGhostPlus, since those plugins definitely open new threads for their message system). Mostly you won't notice these errors in the UI, untill you check the logs.

I've been testing my resume issues for months and also thought that either LatestMediaHandler or FanartHandler were causing issues (and maybe freezes in Requiem's case), but i was never able to actually point the finger towards either 1 of those.

Off course, to be really sure, this needs to be tested (over and over again...) till you find the culprit that causes this. Best way (but that's gonna take time) would be to be sure that it's plugin related (which we kinda already figures out), start MP without plugins enabled and enable 1 plugin at a time, test a few resumes and enable the next.

@Requiem Do you have the Screensaver option enabled?

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Requiem Do you have the Screensaver option enabled?

No, I have disabled screensaver options both in Windows and in MP Config.
    Todays resume (standby also triggered during Live TV) ws without a problem again.
    LMH and FH seem to cause some kind of ... behaviour. Hope that someone will be able to get hands on the original source by @cul8er or recode those from scratch, they are so essential and are unmaintained except for @Sebastiii 's inofficial rerelease....

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    except for @Sebastiii 's inofficial rerelease....
    I"m afraid it might stay that way... Unless cul8er has some more spare time to maintain the plugins again. :/

So... it can't be the screensaver that shows your black screen on resume. Somehow the logging seems to run fine, even with no visible UI for you after resume...
    Something is going wrong somewhere... But i've got a feeling it's gonna take a long time to figure out which plugin is really causing the issues (at random so it seems).

Maybe it's related to the fact that you 'force' the system into S3 while LiveTV is running, although logs show a nice stop of the playback before the OnSuspend is done.

Nasty stuff!!

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I"m afraid it might stay that way... Unless cul8er has some more spare time to maintain the plugins again. :/
    I had hoped that he'd hand over the code to someone else with more time. If not, this really is functionality which should be redeveloped by the MP Team, Fanart scraping is not something which existence and functionality should depend on a single person, IMO. Sooner or later some change might break the functionality completely, and then ist not 'just' a recompile...

So... it can't be the screensaver that shows your black screen on resume. Somehow the logging seems to run fine, even with no visible UI for you after resume...
    Something is going wrong somewhere... But i've got a feeling it's gonna take a long time to figure out which plugin is really causing the issues (at random so it seems).

Maybe it's related to the fact that you 'force' the system into S3 while LiveTV is running, although logs show a nice stop of the playback before the OnSuspend is done.

Nasty stuff!!
    Hit me, but stuff like this is why I initially started this topic again about restart on resume....workaround, but working at least... (nonetheless you already helped me a LOT, i just hope that I get reactions from the plugin devs, nothing heard there yet...)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Fanart scraping is not something which existence and functionality should depend on a single person, IMO. Sooner or later some change might break the functionality completely, and then ist not 'just' a recompile...
    I agree, but who could have thought that single plugin would be THAT popular?? I don't think Cul8er expected that ;)
    Some goes for MovingPictures, MP-TVSeries, OnlineVideos, etc.

Hit me, but stuff like this is why I initially started this topic again about restart on resume....workaround, but working at least... (nonetheless you already helped me a LOT, i just hope that I get reactions from the plugin devs, nothing heard there yet...)
    Yeah, we definitely understand your point of view. But as mm also stated, we prefer to try to fix the source of the problem, not the effects. And if it was a whole bunch of users that had the same problem, then i'm sure we would consider re-adding such an option sooner, but if only a handful of people experience this...
    I know... it might sound harsh (not intended!!) but some issues are so damn hard to tackle...

But, i'm not giving up yet! ;)

I think that if you would test without any plugin (WathcDog option #1) for about a week, then we could, with a LOT of certainty say it has to be a plugin problem (that is if you don't run into issues).
    Once we're there, it's enabling every plugin (or a few of them) 1 by 1, and test again for a couple of days, untill you find the problem.

It took me 7 months until i figured out that my resume issues were caused by my TV database. When i scanned it for errors, it showed up 100% OK!
    But in the end it seems to be a SQL query issue that corrupts some data in the tables, which results in a 30 seconds delay after resume, when entering TVHome.
    Not something you'll easily figure out ;)

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am sure you are right about that, but while I've had a 2 months off from work to care for my kids, it's back to business from next week on. I don't know how much time I can really spend on a structured testing. And my wife will not be happy when I put MP into a test that takes so long.... I'll gladly report back with logs and hope issues can be pinned down, but if they cannot, I have to live with occasional crashes. If I had more time I'd do more, but I am afraid that I will not have in the near future.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, i'm extremely busy next week also, so let me give you another hint / workaround ;)

You asked to re-implement the 'restart on resume' option, but i'm sure you can let Windows handle that with a simple batch file, which is attached. Put that on your system(s) in (for example) C:\Scripts

1. Open up the Task Scheduler (Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools)
    2. Click 'Create Task'
    3. On the 'General' tab you fill in the Name
    4. On the 'Triggers' tab, click on 'New'
      Begin the task: On an event
      Leave settings @ 'Basic'
      Log: System
      Source: Power-Troubleshooter
      Event ID: 1
      If you want, you can delay the task a bit with the Advanced settings on the bottom.
    5. On the 'Actions' tab, click on 'New'
      Action: Start a program
      Browse to the script (C:\Scripts\MediaPortal_Restart.bat)
    6. Hit 'OK' on the bottom.

This should now restart MediaPortal on every resume.
    Have fun testing and let me know how it goes :)

Attachments

• MediaPortal_Restart.zip
      277 bytes

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom