Schedules Direct US/Canadian/Mexico EPG Plugin (Updated August 2010) (3 Viewers)

benicehavefun

Portal Member
September 12, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Geoff -

Thanks for being willing to take a look at this issue.

OK, I can probably fix the error if you can help narrow down the file name that is causing the error:

When you say "file name" are you talking about the name of the show, or are you talking about the file created in the tvdblib_cache folder? The show that's causing me problems is "The Mysteries of Laura". As far as a tvdblib_cache folder goes, one is never created for that show, presumably because of the above referenced error. The primary issue in my mind is not that season and episode data isn't added for that show, it's that no show added after "The Mysteries of Laura" is enriched. Once I delete that show, the shows that are being skipped because of the error, are processed properly. So, if there's a way to keep the enrichment process going despite the "valid DateTime" problem that would be great. If you can figure out why this one particular show is erroring out that would be a bonus!

However, I don't think I can help with the MP-TVSeries import problems... I don't recall having those types of problems at all... once I match the series the first time, it remembers the "The Bridge" is the one I want, not the old one.

You're right that MP-TVSeries allows you to match shows that don't have the correct TVDB name manually -- so do Plex and XBMC. I guess my point is that it would be nice to not have to do that, particularly for people that use more than one "media center" and more than one computer. I'm avoiding that by manually renaming my recordings, Comskip files and parent folders once the recording is complete. It's easier than going to multiple computers to fix the scraping mis-matches. I'm just hoping to find a way, since the SD EPG to TVDB mapping data is being provided to your plugin, to have MP use that same TVDB name when recording folders and filenames are created. I wonder if another variable name could be created in the "Custom Paths and Filenames" tab of the "Recording" section of the TV Server Configuration. So instead of choosing %title%, one could choose %tvdb-title% (for example)? I know your interests are off in other directions, I'm just curious if you think something like that would be difficult to implement through the plugin?

Let me know if there's any other data that would be helpful...

Best,

Scott

Last edited:

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    My mistake, it's dying on the date somehow. The program guide object is supposed to have a valid date object, but seems not to for that show that fails. I've added a nested catch to allow the other shows to continue.

As for your other request, it's an interesting problem. I don't find the trouble that you describe... for a given series, I may have to tweak 1 in 10... once in its lifetime...

But if you wanted a true zero-touch system, you'd have to get into modifying the guide data based on what you found in tvdb.... it's possible in the plugin, but I'm afraid that it may cause issues somewhere else if you change the name of the program from "The Bridge" to "The Bridge (2012)"... but, conceptually, it could be done in the same place where I add the Season and Episode information provided Title is a writeable attribute. Unfortunately, I won't be able to look into it. But perhaps another adventurous coder could help you out :)

Anyway, I've built a version with the nested catch... give it a shot... if it works, I'll check it in.

g

Attachments

• SchedulesDirectPluginTVE3-nested-catch.zip
      78.5 KB

Nick1966

October 10, 2014
    Home Country
    Hello All,

I've been using MP and the SD plugin for guide data for several years and would first like to thank all those involved for all the work done in support of both these wonderful programs. I receive over the air broadcast only and just checked for new channels which found several and as a result, sent me to the SchedulesDirect website. I rarely visit the site as things tend to just work properly with no input from me beyond the initial setup. Thanks again to Geoff specifically for this and the continued support. Upon going to the SchedulesDirect website, I saw a warning about changes coming. I'm pasting the forum link as well as the post content. I'd kindly ask that anyone with the technical know how, take a look and offer any advice as to whether this change will actually impact the plugin as used with MP 1.8. Thanks for any advice.

Nick

http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2577

TMS dropping Data Direct!!! But no reason to panic.
    Postby rmeden » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:29 pm
    Greetings SD members.
    Schedules Direct has been operating since 2007 to provide a stable environment for non-commercial media applications to receive TV listings data, but that does not mean things never change! :)
    We have been informed that Gracenote (formerly Tribune Media Services) will be ending the guide data service currently used by most users of Schedules Direct. Their plan is to end support for this service on November 1, 2014.
    Thankfully there is no need to panic, as Schedules Direct was already hard at work implementing a more modern JSON-based service using newer/better data feeds from TMS. This service offers the following improvements:
    •More efficient "differential" transfer method. You only download the data that changes. Mid-day updates are fast and efficient.
    •The ability to combine multiple source feeds into one output product.
    •Additional data fields, including:
    ◦"season/episode" numbering!
    ◦Images for cast, episodes
    ◦NFL Sunday Ticket Details!!!!
    •Completely custom lineups, including "Free to Air” Satellite
    •ability to share QAM tuning info
    •Additional International Lineups
    This service is up and running now, and grabbers are available for MythTV and SageTV. We also encourage others to develop grabbers for their own applications.
    In addition to the JSON service, a separate service is being developed to mimic the DataDirect feed. It's not ready yet but should be able to provide basic functionality for those legacy applications that can't move to JSON. It is expected to have most, but not all of the data currently in the Data Direct feed and will be updated daily. More details will be available about this later.
    We can use this forum thread for the discussion.
    Robert Eden
    President, Schedules Direct

benicehavefun

Portal Member
    September 12, 2014
    Home Country
    Geoff -

A bit more info for you...

My mistake, it's dying on the date somehow. The program guide object is supposed to have a valid date object, but seems not to for that show that fails. I've added a nested catch to allow the other shows to continue.

Just for giggles I was taking a look at my TVSeriesDatabase4.db3 using the Database Browser for SQLite and I noticed that "The Mysteries of Laura" was the only show out of 69 in the db to have the "AirsTime" shown with periods after the p and m as in "8:00 p.m.". All other shows have the "AirsTime" in the form 8 PM or 8:00 PM. Looking at TheTVDB.com website, sure enough that's the only show out of a number I checked where their field "Airs At" had periods after p and m. Could it be that simple? I can edit TheTVDB.com data (I have an account there), but since it's crowd sourced, would it make sense to add handling for periods in addition to the trap? No doubt some other future show data will be input the same way.

But if you wanted a true zero-touch system, you'd have to get into modifying the guide data based on what you found in tvdb.... it's possible in the plugin, but I'm afraid that it may cause issues somewhere else if you change the name of the program from "The Bridge" to "The Bridge (2012)"... but, conceptually, it could be done in the same place where I add the Season and Episode information provided Title is a writeable attribute. Unfortunately, I won't be able to look into it. But perhaps another adventurous coder could help you out

I totally understand. I was noticing that there is an unused field in the database called "Alias". Perhaps the TVDB name could be written there and then made available as an optional variable in the "Custom Filenames and Paths" tab in the "Recordings" section of the TVServer. Anyway, I'll see if I can find some help on that one.

Anyway, I've built a version with the nested catch... give it a shot... if it works, I'll check it in.

I probably won't be able to give it a try until tomorrow or Sunday -- I won't have direct access to my MediaPortal setup until then.

Thanks again,

Scott

Last edited:

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I've taken a quick look at the new API. It looks much better than the original... the SxxExx info is included!!! So, no more "enriching" after the fact.

Instead of writing a plugin that is in the TV server config, I would follow the same model that the ArgusTV has adopted... they have a a GuideImporter app that you can arrange to have called using the OS scheduler. In that app, there are currently plugins to retrieve data from different sources. I propose we also implement different plugins for the output of the data... the existing plugin for the ArgusTV database, but a second could be written for the MP1.x DB... a third can be written for MP2 if required eventually, etc.

I'm not jumping in at this point because I'm way too busy with the gig that pays me :) But, it is interesting... we'll have to see.

Cheers.

Geoff

Hello All,

I've been using MP and the SD plugin for guide data for several years and would first like to thank all those involved for all the work done in support of both these wonderful programs. I receive over the air broadcast only and just checked for new channels which found several and as a result, sent me to the SchedulesDirect website. I rarely visit the site as things tend to just work properly with no input from me beyond the initial setup. Thanks again to Geoff specifically for this and the continued support. Upon going to the SchedulesDirect website, I saw a warning about changes coming. I'm pasting the forum link as well as the post content. I'd kindly ask that anyone with the technical know how, take a look and offer any advice as to whether this change will actually impact the plugin as used with MP 1.8. Thanks for any advice.

Nick

Nick1966

October 10, 2014
    Home Country
    Thank you Geoff for both looking at the situation and replying. Please forgive my total and complete lack of knowledge of anything remotely programming related. To say I'm clueless barely brushes the truth sadly. Having admitted that, after reading your response I'm still unsure if there is an easy, simple path forward as of the point the data stream from SD changes, to allow me to continue to use MP as I currently enjoy it? You mention ArgusTV of which I'm only minimally aware of as It looked far too complicated for an idiot such as myself to employ when I was first setting up MP. If data is no longer available to my setup as of the change and ArgusTV (or something else) would allow me to continue to enjoy MP, I'd obviously be willing to wade into it and hopefully find a way forward. Essentially my next question boils down to this, in layman's terms, am I screwed as things currently stand with MP and the SD plugin when the data stream changes? The programming data is absolutely essential to me. I guess I could ultimately fall back to Windows Media center and the guide provided there but I am hardly enthusiastic to go that route after having used MP for so many years with complete satisfaction. At any rate, again I thank you for your work toward this work and fully understand you need to focus on putting food on the table before tackling yet another wrinkle in the ever changing environment of this project. Yours, and others contributions are, I assure you, appreciated greatly.

Thanks much,

Nick

I've taken a quick look at the new API. It looks much better than the original... the SxxExx info is included!!! So, no more "enriching" after the fact.

Instead of writing a plugin that is in the TV server config, I would follow the same model that the ArgusTV has adopted... they have a a GuideImporter app that you can arrange to have called using the OS scheduler. In that app, there are currently plugins to retrieve data from different sources. I propose we also implement different plugins for the output of the data... the existing plugin for the ArgusTV database, but a second could be written for the MP1.x DB... a third can be written for MP2 if required eventually, etc.

I'm not jumping in at this point because I'm way too busy with the gig that pays me :) But, it is interesting... we'll have to see.

Cheers.

Geoff

benicehavefun

Portal Member
    September 12, 2014
    Home Country

As for your other request, it's an interesting problem. I don't find the trouble that you describe... for a given series, I may have to tweak 1 in 10... once in its lifetime...

But if you wanted a true zero-touch system, you'd have to get into modifying the guide data based on what you found in tvdb.... it's possible in the plugin, but I'm afraid that it may cause issues somewhere else if you change the name of the program from "The Bridge" to "The Bridge (2012)"... but, conceptually, it could be done in the same place where I add the Season and Episode information provided Title is a writeable attribute. Unfortunately, I won't be able to look into it. But perhaps another adventurous coder could help you out :)

g

Geoff -

I know this is probably pointless now, given what's happening with SchedulesDirect, but I just wanted to close the loop in case it's of any value to you.

I tested the new version of the SD plugin you created with the TVDB error trap, and it appears to be working. I did this on a test system, and here's a snippet of the relevant portion of the log. As you can see a series scheduled after the Mysteries of Laura, processed properly, and the offending show kicked out some error messages:

Code:
    [2014-10-12 10:38:44,248] [Log    ] [10       ] [INFO ] - SD-TvDb: Request update of tvdb.com information for scheduled recordings
    [2014-10-12 10:38:44,268] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [INFO ] - SD-TvDb: Start asynch update of tvdb.com info for all schedule recordings.  Total number: 5
    [2014-10-12 10:38:44,276] [Log    ] [10       ] [DEBUG] - TVServerXBMC: OnTvServerEvent: ScheduledAdded
    [2014-10-12 10:38:44,304] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [INFO ] - SD-TvDb: Update tvdb.com info for Madam Secretary
    [2014-10-12 10:38:45,613] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [INFO ] - SD-TvDb: Update tvdb.com info for Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    [2014-10-12 10:38:46,140] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [INFO ] - SD-TvDb: Update tvdb.com info for The Good Wife
    [2014-10-12 10:38:46,796] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [INFO ] - SD-TvDb: Update tvdb.com info for The Mysteries of Laura
    [2014-10-12 10:38:47,483] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [ERROR] - Error processing specific series: The Mysteries of Laura.  Message: The string was not recognized as a valid DateTime. There is an unknown word starting at index 5..  Stack:    at System.DateTimeParse.Parse(String s, DateTimeFormatInfo dtfi, DateTimeStyles styles)
       at System.DateTime.Parse(String s)
       at TvdbLib.Xml.TvdbXmlReader.ExtractSeriesFields(String _data)
       at TvdbLib.Xml.TvdbXmlReader.ExtractSeries(String _data)
       at TvdbLib.TvdbDownloader.DownloadSeries(Int32 _seriesId, TvdbLanguage _language, Boolean _loadEpisodes, Boolean _loadActors, Boolean _loadBanners)
       at TvdbLib.TvdbHandler.GetSeries(Int32 _seriesId, TvdbLanguage _language, Boolean _loadEpisodes, Boolean _loadActors, Boolean _loadBanners, Boolean _useZip)
       at TvdbLib.TvdbHandler.GetSeries(Int32 _seriesId, TvdbLanguage _language, Boolean _loadEpisodes, Boolean _loadActors, Boolean _loadBanners)
       at SchedulesDirect.TvDb.TvdbLibAccess.getSeasonEpisode(String seriesName, String seriesId, String episodeName, DateTime origAirDate, Boolean allowTailMatch, Boolean recurseCall)
       at SchedulesDirect.TvDb.TvdbLibAccess.getSeasonEpisode(String seriesName, String seriesId, String episodeName, DateTime origAirDate, Boolean allowTailMatch)
       at SchedulesDirect.Plugin.SchedulesDirectPluginTVE3.AsyncTvDbInfoUpdate()
    [2014-10-12 10:38:47,640] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [ERROR] - Error processing specific series: The Mysteries of Laura.  Message: The string was not recognized as a valid DateTime. There is an unknown word starting at index 5..  Stack:    at System.DateTimeParse.Parse(String s, DateTimeFormatInfo dtfi, DateTimeStyles styles)
       at TvdbLib.TvdbDownloader.DownloadSeries(Int32 _seriesId, TvdbLanguage _language, Boolean _loadEpisodes, Boolean _loadActors, Boolean _loadBanners)
       at TvdbLib.TvdbHandler.GetSeries(Int32 _seriesId, TvdbLanguage _language, Boolean _loadEpisodes, Boolean _loadActors, Boolean _loadBanners, Boolean _useZip)
       at TvdbLib.TvdbHandler.GetSeries(Int32 _seriesId, TvdbLanguage _language, Boolean _loadEpisodes, Boolean _loadActors, Boolean _loadBanners)
       at SchedulesDirect.TvDb.TvdbLibAccess.getSeasonEpisode(String seriesName, String seriesId, String episodeName, DateTime origAirDate, Boolean allowTailMatch, Boolean recurseCall)
       at SchedulesDirect.TvDb.TvdbLibAccess.getSeasonEpisode(String seriesName, String seriesId, String episodeName, DateTime origAirDate, Boolean allowTailMatch)
    [2014-10-12 10:38:47,780] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [ERROR] - Error processing specific series: The Mysteries of Laura.  Message: The string was not recognized as a valid DateTime. There is an unknown word starting at index 5..  Stack:    at System.DateTimeParse.Parse(String s, DateTimeFormatInfo dtfi, DateTimeStyles styles)
    [2014-10-12 10:38:47,937] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [ERROR] - Error processing specific series: The Mysteries of Laura.  Message: The string was not recognized as a valid DateTime. There is an unknown word starting at index 5..  Stack:    at System.DateTimeParse.Parse(String s, DateTimeFormatInfo dtfi, DateTimeStyles styles)
    [2014-10-12 10:38:47,952] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [INFO ] - SD-TvDb: Update tvdb.com info for Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
    [2014-10-12 10:39:02,592] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [DEBUG] - SD-TvDb: Finished asynch update of tvdb.com info for all schedule recordings.
    [2014-10-12 10:39:14,343] [Log    ] [16       ] [INFO ] - Controller: epg stop

I'm going to go ahead and fix the problem in TheTVDB which I believe caused this issue, the presence of periods in "PM". It'll probably take a while to propagate to the TVDB mirrors, but I'll let you know if that works.

Again, thanks a lot for doing this. Too bad about the discontinuation of the current version of the SD service and the lack of much notice this is happening. The only e-mails I've gotten from SD are asking for me to renew my subscription. You'd think they would have sent out a message about a change as significant as this!

Best,

Scott

benicehavefun

Portal Member
    September 12, 2014
    Home Country
    Geoff -

My mistake, it's dying on the date somehow.

For what it's worth, after editing the data at "TheTVDB.com" and removing the periods in "P.M." in the "AirsDate" field for "The Mysteries of Laura" the enrichment process completed correctly for all scheduled shows on my test setup. It didn't even take that long for the TVDB mirror to reflect the change.

Code:
    [2014-10-12 11:41:33,113] [Log    ] [TVService] [INFO ] - SD-TvDb: Kickoff initial lookup for all scheduled recordings
    [2014-10-12 11:41:33,129] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [INFO ] - SD-TvDb: Start asynch update of tvdb.com info for all schedule recordings.  Total number: 5
    [2014-10-12 11:41:33,176] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [INFO ] - SD-TvDb: Update tvdb.com info for Madam Secretary
    [2014-10-12 11:41:33,285] [Log    ] [TVService] [INFO ] - TV Service: Plugin: ServerBlaster disabled
    [2014-10-12 11:41:33,285] [Log    ] [TVService] [INFO ] - TV Service: Plugin: TV Movie EPG import disabled
    [2014-10-12 11:41:33,301] [Log    ] [TVService] [INFO ] - TV Service: Plugin: TVServerXBMC started
    [2014-10-12 11:41:33,316] [Log    ] [TVService] [INFO ] - TVServerXBMC: plugin started
    [2014-10-12 11:41:33,535] [Log    ] [TVService] [DEBUG] - TVServerXBMC: Registered OnTvServerEvent with TV Server
    [2014-10-12 11:41:33,551] [Log    ] [TVService] [INFO ] - TVServerXBMC: Start listening on port 9596
    [2014-10-12 11:41:33,598] [Log    ] [16       ] [DEBUG] - TVServerXBMC: Waiting for clients...
    [2014-10-12 11:41:33,598] [Log    ] [TVService] [INFO ] - TV Service: Plugin: WebEPG disabled
    [2014-10-12 11:41:33,613] [Log    ] [TVService] [INFO ] - TV Service: Plugin: XmlTv disabled
    [2014-10-12 11:41:33,613] [Log    ] [TVService] [INFO ] - TV Service: Plugins started
    [2014-10-12 11:41:33,629] [Log    ] [TVService] [INFO ] - TV Service: Started
    [2014-10-12 11:41:35,316] [Log    ] [17       ] [DEBUG] - Detecting BDA/WDM devices...
    [2014-10-12 11:41:35,332] [Log    ] [17       ] [DEBUG] - Detect legacy AM filter devices
    [2014-10-12 11:41:35,707] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [INFO ] - SD-TvDb: Update tvdb.com info for Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    [2014-10-12 11:41:36,285] [Log    ] [17       ] [DEBUG] - Detect AM KS crossbar devices
    [2014-10-12 11:41:36,301] [Log    ] [17       ] [DEBUG] - Detect AM KS TV tuner devices
    [2014-10-12 11:41:36,301] [Log    ] [17       ] [DEBUG] - Detect BDA source devices
    [2014-10-12 11:41:36,754] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [INFO ] - SD-TvDb: Update tvdb.com info for The Good Wife
    [2014-10-12 11:41:37,582] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [INFO ] - SD-TvDb: Update tvdb.com info for The Mysteries of Laura
    [2014-10-12 11:41:38,473] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [INFO ] - SD-TvDb: Update tvdb.com info for Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
    [2014-10-12 11:41:50,603] [Log    ] [TvDbThread] [DEBUG] - SD-TvDb: Finished asynch update of tvdb.com info for all schedule recordings.
    [2014-10-12 11:41:54,298] [Log    ] [18       ] [DEBUG] - Detecting BDA/WDM devices...
    [2014-10-12 11:41:54,360] [Log    ] [18       ] [DEBUG] - Detect legacy AM filter devices
    [2014-10-12 11:41:54,485] [Log    ] [18       ] [DEBUG] - Detect AM KS crossbar devices
    [2014-10-12 11:41:54,517] [Log    ] [18       ] [DEBUG] - Detect AM KS TV tuner devices
    [2014-10-12 11:41:54,626] [Log    ] [18       ] [DEBUG] - Detect BDA source devices
    [2014-10-12 11:50:12,812] [Log    ] [26       ] [INFO ] - Controller: epg stop

Many thanks for all your work on this plugin...

Scott

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    good to know... ya, the failure was in the parsing the date... outside of my code... glad you worked around it.

benicehavefun

Portal Member
    September 12, 2014
    Home Country
    Nick (and everyone else using the SchedulesDirect plugin!) -

Having admitted that, after reading your response I'm still unsure if there is an easy, simple path forward as of the point the data stream from SD changes, to allow me to continue to use MP as I currently enjoy it?

Thanks to @sjevtic for pointing out that SchedulesDirect is developing their own version of the DataDirect service they've been providing via Gracenote. It's apparently usable now for anyone who wants to (beta) test it out. According to the thread at SchedulesDirect, you can edit your etc/hosts file on your HTPC to redirect from the GraceNote website to the new SD replacement website.

In Windows this file is usually under C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts. Also, some routers have a known hosts table (or the like) which should accomplish the same thing. An updated version of the plugin with the new hostnames would obviously be even better.

Here's the relevant thread at SchedulesDirect:

http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2591

I'll be giving this a try myself next week, but anyone who gives it a shot first, let us know how (or if) it works!

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom