Setup help - USA EPG (1 Viewer)

Cambridge

November 28, 2014
Home Country
Uzbekistan Uzbekistan
Help in setting up the EPG in MediaPortal 1. Everything else is working perfectly except for the EPG. Could you please let me know what I'm not doing correctly?

Cambridge

November 28, 2014
Home Country
Uzbekistan Uzbekistan
Yes I have tried all of the plugin options as well as using the standard DVB EPG feature. TV shows up fine, recording is great, it's just the EPG doesn't populate or show up. All the channels have been imported and tagged / mapped. Everything has been set up as shown in examples with all the plugins and still nothing.

Cambridge

November 28, 2014
Home Country
Uzbekistan Uzbekistan
I would love to do that. But since I am new to forums, I will need a little assistance in trying to figure out how to make this a separate thread. In the meantime here is the log file for MediaPortal TV Server and I'm located in Southern California and run and over-the-air antenna for my reception which includes a EPG in the transmission. Please let me know if you need anything further to help. Thank you.[DOUBLEPOST=1417230364][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, thank you...standing by for your review and advice.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I will need a little assistance in trying to figure out how to make this a separate thread.
    Done. :)

In the meantime here is the log file for MediaPortal TV Server...
    Thanks. :)
    I'll come back to this in a moment.

...and I'm located in Southern California and run and over-the-air antenna for my reception which includes a EPG in the transmission.
    Ahhh, okay. Your forum profile says your home country is Uzbekistan. That was a bit confusing. ;)

Yes I have tried all of the plugin options as well as using the standard DVB EPG feature.
    Okay, so first: the DVB EPG feature is for DVB broadcasts only. OTA broadcasts in the US and Canada are ATSC rather than DVB. Therefore the DVB EPG grabber can't help you get EPG. In fact I'd recommend to disable that grabber (untick the two "enabled" checkboxes in the DVB EPG section of TV Server configuration). If you leave it enabled it will be constantly trying to use your tuner, which is unnecessary power use plus wear and tear on the tuner... all for nothing, because it can't get the EPG.

As for plugins...
    The TV Movie plugin is mainly used in Germany. It almost certainly can't help you.
    The WebEPG and XMLTV plugins can help you... but at least with the XMLTV plugin, you need to have an XMLTV file (which contains the EPG data) to import. In other words, enabling them isn't enough. More work is required.

Here are the options that I've previously recommended for EPG in the US and Canada:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/setup-help.124506/#post-1061869

I've been told that the data that is available from the OTA broadcast stream is pretty poor, and only covers a few hours. However, if the data in your area is alright and you're intent on sourcing your EPG that way then it is possible as follows:
    • use the EPG Collector program to grab the EPG
    • output from EPG Collector will be an XMLTV file
    • the XMLTV file can be imported into TV Server with TV Server's XMLTV plugin (standard instructions/tutorials in the wiki apply)
    EPG Collector can be downloaded for free -->here<--.

Please let me know if you need anything further to help. Thank you.
    No problem. :)
    Nothing further required at this stage.
    Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about the information above. :)

Cambridge

November 28, 2014
    Home Country
    Uzbekistan Uzbekistan
    Ok, I have chosen the mc2xml + xmltv plugin option. All is well until I got to the part where I needed to configure the SmlTv plugin. In the mappings all the channels appear however all of the colored column is red and the drop down does not give me an option to choose the channel. See the image provided.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_334 Nov. 28 19.59.jpg
      ScreenHunter_334 Nov. 28 19.59.jpg
      144.6 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    In the mappings all the channels appear however all of the colored column is red...
    That just means there is no existing or new mapping. Normal.

...and the drop down does not give me an option to choose the channel.
    The drop down will be empty until you import an XMLTV file on the first XMLTV plugin tab. On the first tab should be a status section down the bottom. What does it say there after selecting the location of the XMLTV tvguide.xml file, ensuring xmltv.dtd is in the same folder, and finally clicking "import now" (all of these sorts of instructions/processes should be covered in the wiki).

Cambridge

November 28, 2014
    Home Country
    Uzbekistan Uzbekistan
    ScreenHunter_336 Nov. 28 20.15.jpg
    ScreenHunter_335 Nov. 28 20.14.jpg
    ScreenHunter_336 Nov. 28 20.15.jpg ScreenHunter_335 Nov. 28 20.14.jpg
    when I click on the "Import" button on the General XmlTv tab it does not import anything. Also you can see in the directory I have all of the listed files.

Attachments

• xmltv.dtd.txt
      24.2 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The data file needs to just be "tvguide.xml", not "tvguide.xml.xml". My guess is that is the problem.

Cambridge

November 28, 2014
    Home Country
    Uzbekistan Uzbekistan
    ok...made the change...and still no import on the first general tab

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_337 Nov. 28 20.29.jpg
      ScreenHunter_337 Nov. 28 20.29.jpg
      24.7 KB

Users who are viewing this thread