Sleep/Resume Problems (1 Viewer)

PeeBee

Portal Member
June 30, 2006
UK
Recently fixed up an AV Receiver (Pioneer VSX-930) with a previously fine working MP box (MP1.10, Windows8.1; now MP1.14 and all extensions updated). I am using Power Scheduler.
The setup works fine except:
  • When the MP box is put to sleep, it resumes again after a few minutes.
  • There is no video or sound after resume (the VSX-930 isn't registering an input signal). Pulling the HDMI cable and plugging it back in seems to put this right.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    When the MP box is put to sleep, it resumes again after a few minutes.
    Are you assuming that this is an MP problem?
    Have you tried to see if the problem occurs when all MP plugins are disabled (ie. MP Watchdog tool, mode 1)?
    Have you used the Windows powercfg utility to debug the situation (check next scheduled wake time etc.)?

There is no video or sound after resume (the VSX-930 isn't registering an input signal). Pulling the HDMI cable and plugging it back in seems to put this right.
    Sorry, I won't be able to help with this unless you can provide full debug log files. Please use the Watchdog tool in mode 1.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/Forum/How_to_post_logs

PeeBee

Portal Member
    June 30, 2006
    UK
    Are you assuming that this is an MP problem?

Well I might of been. But then the MP machine still wakes up even with the HDMI cable pulled. I had made assumptions based on the HDMI connection being the only thing to change (originally, before I updated all the software).

Sorry, I won't be able to help with this unless you can provide full debug log files

Working on them...

Thanks

PeeBee

Portal Member
    June 30, 2006
    UK
    Powercfg reports only the scheduled EPG grabbing (at 04:40) and one other MS scheduled wakeup on a particular date. Problem happens (<5mins) in Watchdog tool mode 1, hence I can get the logs as suggested. A look through the captured System Log suggested a possible error in the USB 3.0 driver but I could see no update for it.

I'll just reaffirm: The only change before the errors was switching the HDMI cable from the TV to the Pioneer VSX-930, plus I also removed the Creative Labs USB sound card previously responsible for outputting sound. Since then I did attempt to update MP software (MP1.10 -> MP1.14) and plugins, but I've since undone the changes to Latest Media Handler (back to 3.0.7.0), Fanart Handler (->1.6.2.0) and Trakt... (->5.1.3.0) because they would not play nice.

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the log files.

So we have suspend:
    [2016-04-23 10:41:16,562] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: WM_POWERBROADCAST (PBT_APMSUSPEND)

...and resume:
    [2016-04-23 10:44:30,809] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: WM_POWERBROADCAST (PBT_APMRESUMESUSPEND)

The fact that the resume event is PBT_APMRESUMESUSPEND rather than PBT_APMRESUMEAUTOMATIC means that Windows thinks that the resume was triggered by user interaction.

I'll just reaffirm: The only change before the errors was switching the HDMI cable from the TV to the Pioneer VSX-930...
    So could you try temporarily switching it back?
    (The only semi-plausible reason I could imagine that this change would cause the PC to wake-up would be if the VSX-930 were sending an HDMI-CEC command telling the PC to wake-up.)

...plus I also removed the Creative Labs USB sound card previously responsible for outputting sound.
    No comment. I can't imagine how this would cause the problem... but then, we're talking about a PC. Stranger things have happened.

Since then I did attempt to update MP software (MP1.10 -> MP1.14) and plugins, but I've since undone the changes to Latest Media Handler (back to 3.0.7.0), Fanart Handler (->1.6.2.0) and Trakt... (->5.1.3.0) because they would not play nice.
    None of this is relevant. The plugins were all disabled when you reproduced the problem, and like I said above, Windows thinks that you're triggering the wake-up somehow.

Keyboard, mouse, remote control, USB devices... those are the things that I'd be looking at.

PeeBee

Portal Member
    June 30, 2006
    UK
    Thanks. I mentioned the USB soundcard as "USB" was popping up so thought it might be relevant (ignoring the "stranger things").

From what you've said so far I dug this out:

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg/lastwake
    Wake History Count - 1
    Wake History [0]
    Wake Source Count - 1
    Wake Source [0]
    Type: Device
    Instance Path: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C31&SUBSYS_20548086&REV_04\3&11583659&0&A0
    Friendly Name: Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)
    Description: Intel(R) 8 Series xHCI HC - 9C31
    Manufacturer: Generic USB xHCI Host Controller

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /devicequery wake_from_any
    HID Keyboard Device (001)
    Intel(R) 8 Series USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 - 9C26
    USB Root Hub (xHCI)
    HID-compliant mouse (002)
    Generic USB Hub
    HID-compliant system controller (002)
    USB Composite Device (004)
    Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)
    HID-compliant consumer control device
    Intel(R) Management Engine Interface
    Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I218-V
    USB Input Device (004)
    HID-compliant vendor-defined device (001)
    USB Root Hub
    AVerMedia H831 USB Custom IR Receiver
    ACPI Power Button
    HID-compliant vendor-defined device (002)
    AVerMedia H831 USB Hybrid DVB-T/T2

Can I use this to try powercfg -devicedisablewake 'Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)', or am I heading for a fall?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Can I use this to try powercfg -devicedisablewake 'Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)', or am I heading for a fall?
    The only reason I could imagine why you shouldn't do that would be if it would affect the ability of devices connected to that controller (eg. keyboard, mouse, tuner with IR receiver) to wake the PC. However it would always be reversible via deviceenablewake. So...

What's actually connected to that USB controller?
    Was the USB soundcard previously connected to it?
    If yes, did you uninstall the driver in addition to disconnecting it?

PeeBee

Portal Member
    June 30, 2006
    UK
    Thanks MM,
    All on hold now because Microsoft in its wisdom (or is it "decent in to oblivion"?) decided I needed Windows 10 which is what I woke up to. Mediaportal is hanging on in there but Windows can't paint the screen properly so is trashed. Such arrogant contempt (by Microsoft) is well beyond my comprehension. Hopefully I can get back to this soon?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    All on hold now because Microsoft in its wisdom (or is it "decent in to oblivion"?) decided I needed Windows 10 which is what I woke up to.
    Hah, well that's unfortunate. Let me know once you're back to trouble-shooting suspend/resume. With any luck, you may find that the combination of new OS and new drivers has chased the problem away.

PeeBee

Portal Member
    June 30, 2006
    UK
    I seem to have recovered from display problems following the fascist inspired "Windows 10 upgrade". Strange Windows couldn't deal with HDMI screens yet Mediaportal showed no problems. Anyway, while trying to get things stable (still on-going?) I did notice lots of Creative Labs software and drivers lurking around for the now un-needed USB Sound Blaster. Got rid of them. And with it the repetitive resumes. Hooray!
    Started on the lack of video/sound after a resume and that appears to be fixable by ordering things in certain way: The screen must be on and the input for MP selected on the AV receiver before resuming the MP machine. I think...
    Thanks MM, for all the assistance getting this far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom