Slow startup (splashscreen showing loading plugins) (1 Viewer)

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There may be systems where a slow start is normal but it isn't for my clients.
    What really baffels me is that it came out of nothing (I didn't update anything or similar) and that it won't go away even after restoring backups.
    (ok maybe I restored a backup which was not early enough but I am pretty certain that it should have been)
    And it seems to be sporadically since I had one occasion (after having seen this for the first time) where the start seemed to be normal again.
    Unfortunately I am out of town till Tuesday but when I am back what else can I check?
    Which loggs would help?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    what else can I check?
    Did you check DNS and IPv6 as suggested? DNS may be the more likely problem; especially since you called your server "server". ;)

Which loggs would help?
    The logs I looked at didn't really show anything useful, so I'm not convinced that new/additional logs would be helpful either. Perhaps the only thing they can do is confirm that the delay is consistently occurring at the same point.

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I couldn't check what you suggested because I won't be at home before next Tuesday.
    What exactly do I have to look for then? Concerning the dns I mean.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What exactly do I have to look for then? Concerning the dns I mean.
    Slow conversion from "server" to IP address on the client when you attempt to tracert and/or ping the server.
    Another way of testing would be to use the server's IP address instead of hostname in MP configuration and see if it works better.

Another separate thing to check would be whether disabling security software (firewalls etc.) helps.

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Allright thanks so far, I will check that as soon as I come home.
    But could these things cause my problems when the system was fine before with the same settings?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    But could these things cause my problems when the system was fine before with the same settings?
    I don't believe that problems start without changes. Either the problem existed already and you just didn't notice, or something (settings or other) must have changed to cause the problem to start. In this case the second option seems most likely. It may not be something that you did intentionally (for example, maybe an automatic update)... but still, there must be a change that explains why the problem started.

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    i had reported a similar issue some month ago ->Link<-

Another way of testing would be to use the server's IP address instead of hostname in MP configuration and see if it works better.

Using the IP adress solves the issue for me.

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Alright here I am again.
    I changed the servers name in the client tv setup to its ip adress which seems to do the trick.
    At least for now. So far I am happy and grateful for the hint.
    Besides that - has anything been changed recently concerning the handling of such adresses?
    Because it had just worked all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom