Solution for ALL/most Software-encoder based TV-Cards (1 Viewer)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

Hobby

Portal Member
    November 28, 2010
    Wichita, Ks N. America, Earth, Sector 001
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The tuner manufacturers often (but not always) provide encoders with the tuner, however performance (CPU required), video/audio quality and compatibility of these encoders varies quite widely.

OK, then here's my question... What is it about compatibility that could cause a "capture card" to not be recognized at all by TV Server? What is MP looking for when it searches for a source device? The device in question is an AVerMedia C027 HDPVR

Thanks! :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi there

Nice find - I think I can guess what you want to do :)
    Device detection isn't really my specialty, however I can say that software encoders have nothing whatsoever to do with it. I'm guessing that the device in question isn't recognised because it isn't a tuner device. So far as I am aware, TV Server does not handle "general" video capture cards. If it was designed for that then it wouldn't be called "TV Server". Of course it does support the composite/s-video/component inputs of some tuners, which is probably somewhat confusing.

I advise you to re-post your question in a new thread where it can get more attention. I think you're going to be out of luck, though I could be wrong...

Hobby

Portal Member
    November 28, 2010
    Wichita, Ks N. America, Earth, Sector 001
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks you for the rapid reply!

No need to guess it's purpose... I've been working towards tying my Direct TV into my PC along with all other media I have to consolidate my HT setup. I didn't want to rely on the TV to change source inputs and hopefully, when I'm done, the PC will have it's own on board 8 ch amp so the receiver that changes source inputs wont exist either. The bonus is that... yes, I will be able to record 1080 from the satellite but that was not the priority.

I'm guessing that the device in question isn't recognised because it isn't a tuner device.

I suspected that was the case but since I didn't know "how" the TV Server worked, I wasn't sure.

however I can say that software encoders have nothing whatsoever to do with it.

If that's accurate, that saves me some frustration and time in knowing this. :)

I advise you to re-post your question in a new thread where it can get more attention.

Thanks... I think I will... after I look at a few other things. I read a great deal on the Hauppauge PVR thread but did not completely understand it at the time. Knew nothing about Graphedit, Media Encoder, VirtualDub, or any of the other "steps" that were taken. Now, I am starting to understand some of it and how to work with some of it.

I know it may seem a little juvenile for a 40 something guy like me to not want to have his hand held in figuring this out but lets just say I will save someone as much grief as possible when I do ask the question. ;)

:D

naibaf7

Portal Member
    December 4, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    AW: Solution for ALL/most Software-encoder based TV-Cards

erezbit

look at page 2! There's a HowTo how you can get the encoders (direct link to the whole package would be illegal)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    hi
    i need those encoders

doas it works with videomate vista m1f to?
    Hi there

Over the past week or so I've helped a couple of users who own Avermedia cards. I recommend you use the ATI AVIVO encoders. The Intervideo ones didn't work for one of them, and the AVIVO ones are the best alternative...

cripellegrini

February 5, 2010
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    sorry, i don't understand if it's possible to reach the zip file mentioned below...
    Could someone help me? I have a lot of trouble with my capture card without hw encoder...
    :(

Pastill

Portal Pro
    September 2, 2007
    I've a Hauppauge HVR-1300 with hardware encoder.
    But I think the analoge picture is really bad.

So I tested a Pinnacle PCTV 310i without HW encoder.
    And now I can't get analoge to work in MP.

I have installed Mainconcept MPEG encoder and there I can see a picture.
    Not in full resolution on my HD TV so I don't know yet if it's better quality . But it looked promising.
    I still have MP 1.1.2. I want to wait until official release of MP 1.2, not alpha.
    I have Windows 7 Home premium. Encoder should then be included.
    I have a Radeon HD 5450 and have installed AVIVO.

So I have three encoders installed but still TV-server say "No SW encoder installed".

Should I give up on Pinnacle and reverse to HVR-1300 cause I will not get a better picture
    Or should I solve this problem with SW encoder. How ?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Pastill

What makes you think that picture could possibly be better with software encoders?
    I'd *always* recommend hardware encoders over software encoders. Having said that, I guess there is no harm in comparison since you already have the tuners to test with...

...So I tested a Pinnacle PCTV 310i without HW encoder.
    And now I can't get analoge to work in MP.
    Did you take out the HVR1300?
    My cards are a little similar to the 310i - I have two PCTV 7010ix cards (2 x DVB-T/analog/FM hybrid + 2 x DVB-S). They work well, but you *must* set them up as hybrid tuners. See the wiki for instructions...

I have installed Mainconcept MPEG encoder and there I can see a picture.
    Not in full resolution on my HD TV so I don't know yet if it's better quality . But it looked promising.
    Mainconcept Encoder doesn't do timeshifting like MP so it is *much* easier to set up. The down side is that you can't use the encoder from that software in MediaPortal. The reason is that the package doesn't install a Directshow filter version of the encoder.

I still have MP 1.1.2. I want to wait until official release of MP 1.2, not alpha.
    I have Windows 7 Home premium. Encoder should then be included.
    Are you talking about the Microsoft encoders? They are definitely not supported in 1.1.2 and I don't know if they work with TV Server at all. You'd be able to try them if you had MP 1.2...

I have a Radeon HD 5450 and have installed AVIVO.
    The AVIVO encoders are not supported in 1.1.2. Again, you need 1.2.0...

So I have three encoders installed but still TV-server say "No SW encoder installed".
    TV Server is telling the truth - you have no *supported* encoders installed.

Should I give up on Pinnacle and reverse to HVR-1300 cause I will not get a better picture
    Or should I solve this problem with SW encoder. How ?
    You usually solve analog picture quality problems by improving signal quality (or upgrading to digital if that is available):
    - tune (reposition) the aerial
    - try a signal amplifier
    - replace aerial cabling

At best, the picture quality with a software encoder will probably be the same as with a hardware encoder; most of the time it will probably be worse. There are other negatives for software encoders too:
    - recordings more likely to fail without error
    - live TV freezes
    - audio/video synchronisation (lip sync) problems
    - higher CPU usage

If you have read all of my advice and you're still ***very*** desperate to try the software encoders then I might be able to give you custom versions of 1.1.2 that support the Microsoft and AVIVO encoders. It would be much better if you upgraded to 1.2.0a or 1.2.0b (which will be released in one month or so)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom