Sometimes channel change doesn't work (1 Viewer)

hirscho

Portal Pro
December 24, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
TV-Server Version: TVEngine3 Snapshot: 01-05-2008 01-08h Revision 16891
MediaPortal Version: MediaPortal SVN-Snapshot: 01-05-2008 01-04
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
Windows Version: Windows XP, SP2
CPU Type: Intel Core 2, 2.4GHz
HDD: Samsung HD403LJ, 400G
Memory: 2 G
Motherboard: Asus P5L-1394
Video Card: MSI NX7600GT, passiv
Video Card Driver: 163.71
Sound Card: Realtek ALC883
Sound Card AC3: AC3 coaxial
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: KNC1 DVB-S
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card: Hauppauge
2. TV Card Type: WinTV Nova-S
2. TV Card Driver: DVB-S
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow Audio
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 19.2°E
HTPC Case: Silverstone GD-01S-MX
TV - HTPC Connection: VGA->Scart

Sporadically the channel change doesn't work. After pressing "F8" I can see the OSD of the new channel but the old channel stays active. It only happens if I use the channel switch with "F7 - F8". Changing the channel via the EPG always works fast and reliable. I am using a single instant installation and the issue is codec and channel independent.

hirscho

hirscho

Portal Pro
December 24, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
Well, I did some more testing and I have to correct myself. The issue is codec related. It only appears if the hardware acceleration (for deinterlacing) is turned on in the nvidia or cyberlink codec.

hirscho

hirscho

Portal Pro
December 24, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
I found out the reason for the slow channel change and it makes me feel a kind of stupid. As an control freak I surely have installed a firewall and an antivirus scanner on my HTPC. I like to have outbound control for all the apps sending information to the internet and an antivirus scanner is not a bad idea, if you also play external files from cds or usb sticks.

Therefor I used the Kaspersky Internet Security and it was its file virus scanner that sometimes slowed down the channel change to more than one minute! Without the security suite installed MPs channel switch with TV3 is lightning fast (1-2 second).

No I use a combination of Avira Antivir and Comodo Firewall and there is no significant influence on the performance. Both are free for private use and show excellent results in various security tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom