Sort on resume time? (1 Viewer)

styrsven

Portal Pro
January 6, 2013
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi,
I'm in the process of converting from Moving Pictures to MyFilms, and I very much like the new possibilities that opens with this plugin.
One little detail that I haven't been able to find though, is that in Moving Pictures you could sort on resume time. Is that at all possible in MyFilms?
I don't really care about the time, I'm just looking for a way to have a list of films that I'm currently watching. Is this possible?

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    How many films are you wathcing at once? I'm asking because I wonder if you are aware that MyFilms supports multiple users and multiple databases. So if you are talking about different users watching different movies, MyFilms can keep track of that separately.

I think it is difficult for users to switch from MovingPictures to MyFilms. You have to change your thinking, a lot, because MyFilms doesn't require you to live within the MP box. It supports multiple database, multiple configs (like user profiles), multiple users, filtered configs, filtered views, etc. etc. That means the options are almost limitless, which means you will benefit if you think about and plan your databases/users etc. You don't have to, but you can get a lot more out of MyFilms if you forget everything you had to do before, and instead just think about what you want MyFilms to do.

For example:
    1. If you have a network setup - do you want different clients to access different databases, such as a kids db, a pin protected adults db etc.? You don't need duplicate copies of the films stored on each client, you just create a new config using a new 'database' and scan the movie folders you want to include. So you could organize 'common' films in one movies subfolder, adult films in another, family videos in another and have a separate database for each (you can switch configs/databases in MyFilms easily, or choose to display a menu of them on startup).Of course you do have to update each database separately in this case, although the movies and artwork can be stored centrally if you prefer (though each db could actually display a different cover/fanart for the same database)..
    2. You can use a central database, and create multiple configs for each user. In this case each config is more like a user profile. It can be filtered to display only the movies you want for that config/user profile, password protected so your kids never get access to adult films. And you can even select a different default view, layout, sort, etc. per user.
    3. You can use a common/central database AND config - but add users to track watch status/count, user ratings, and favorites per user.

That's just a few of the main use cases MyFilms supports. All outlined in gory detail in the MyFilms wiki ;). So start thinking about what you would do when you are not limited to a single database, setup or user per client. It can be a bit intimidating at first, and Setup can seem overwhelming as a result (though you can keep it simple to start if you want) but it's worth it!.

Last edited:

styrsven

Portal Pro
    January 6, 2013
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ok.
    The use case is this:
    The setup is one server and one client in the same machine. Possibly one future expansion, but that would probably be a raspberry pi an xbmc.
    I use tinymediamanager to maintain *.nfo files, and scrape the .nfo files.
    My wife and I are watching a film late in the evening. About in the middle of the film we both feel that we are really too tired to watch the whole film, and shuts down. The next day we want to continue to watch the film "whats the name" with the "whats his/her name" famous actor that we were watching last night. I do have an unusually good memory for details, but with rising age, I feel that it is not as good as it used to be. With Moving Pictures, it was easy to keep track of the films not yet entiredly watched. I'm just wondering if it is possible to do something similar with MiFilms?
    Now, this is not really important, I think the benefits of being able to explore the film collection with regards to actors, producers etc. is far more interesting, I just wonder if this is possible to do., if not, it doesn't really matter.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Gotcha ;) - I can't think of anything that does that exactly.
    A possible workaround might be to set watched status handling to 'update when movie is launched' in Setup > Update Tab. Then in GUI you could simply sort your movies by 'Last Seen" descending. Not exactly what you want I know, @Guzzi might be able to think of a better way.

I usually do it the other way around, I just turn on the global filter (from main menu) > 'show unwatched films'. The list is usually not that long so I can easily spot which film I fell asleep in last time :p

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Indeed, that use case is not really supported. Reason is probably, that when I fall asleep I am never able to stop the film, so when I am 'alive' again it is fully watched anyway - lol. Dadeo described some possible workarounds, if that does not fit it well enough, I'd suggest to add a feature request to the tracker, so it could be added to one of the next feature releases...
    Edit: Technical reason behind the scene: The resume time is currently NOT part of the MF database, thus we cannot easily provide a "view" for it. To support it, we'd need add it as DB field (probably also for MUS (multi user field) - which will allow to simply browse to a respective view or creat one for the menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom