Start MP1-Client without DirectX in windowed mode (1 Viewer)

MichaelZ

Portal Member
March 5, 2016
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi there,
I'm using MP1-Client (and TV-Server on the same computer). Since I access my computer quite often using remote desktop I would like to be able to access the client via RDP. Is it possible to launch the client using a parameter so that it starts in windowed mode? When I start the client on the 'console' and switch to windowed mode I can overtake the session (and MP1-Client) using rdp, but I haven't found out yet how to start the client in that mode.
Many Greetings
MichaelZ

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Michael.

In MePo configuration Select "General -> Startup/Resume Settings". Until "Start Mediaortal in fullscreen mode", would suggest also deselect "Keep MediaPortal always on top.

Hope that covers the question.

TTFN - JCMP.

MichaelZ

Portal Member
    March 5, 2016
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I don't know how I could have overseen that option. But it doesn't help.
    When I launch MP1 client locally it starts in windowed mode. When I launch using remote desktop it hangs on splash screen with 'Initializing DirectX...' Below the splash screen is a message box 'Direct3D device could not be created.' After clicking OK the client closes. So the behaviour doesn't change. So It could be that DirectX detection is hardcoded at startup unconditionally and exit is forced when no DirectX.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Michael

Does your remote client support DirectX?
    If not, that would explain why you're running into the 'Direct3D...' message. DirectX is a fundamental requirement for MP. MP cannot run without it. Your only option in this case would be to try another remote connection solution like TeamViewer instead of RDP.

MichaelZ

Portal Member
    March 5, 2016
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry for the late response but I was a few days on business trip.
    I can understand that DirectX is necessary for video and audio output. But for the GUI in general that should not be necessary, e.g. to do configurations or view the EPG and program recordings.
    The very funny stuff is that when I start MP client in the console session in window mode then I can overtake the session with the Microsoft Windows Remote Desktop Client on Windows 7 and then the MP client not only still can be controlled but I also can start to watch TV and the window can be rescaled.
    Many Greetings
    MichaelZ

P.S. just for the records, dxdiag says in Remote Desktop session
    video device name RDPDD-Chained DD
    DirectDraw acceleration: not available
    Direct3D acceleration: activated
    AGP surface acceleration: not available

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I can understand that DirectX is necessary for video and audio output. But for the GUI in general that should not be necessary
    Everything that you see in the MP1 GUI uses DirectX.

e.g. to do configurations or view the EPG and program recordings.
    You can use MP1 Configuration and TV Server Configuration without DirectX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom