SVN checkout downloads many obsolete files and folders (1 Viewer)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Maybe I'm just "doing it wrong" but when I check out MP2 sources with SVN, it downloads A LOT. So far 600 MB...can I skip all the "Obsolete tags" files and folders?

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: SVN checkout downloads many obsolete files and folders

Maybe I'm just "doing it wrong" but when I check out MP2 sources with SVN, it downloads A LOT. So far 600 MB...can I skip all the "Obsolete tags" files and folders?
    I assume that you checked out the root svn directory, which contains
    • branches
    • tags
    • trunk
    You could do a checkout out for trunk only, then all obsolete tags and branches won't be included.

I personally also made a checkout for root, but I am only updating trunk "full recursive". tags and branches are updated with the option "immediate children, including folders". This way I can see all available branches and if I want to test a special branch I can do a full recursive update only for this branch.

You can change the way a folder is updated by clicking with the right mouse button on the folder, TortoiseSVN > Update to revision... . And there you can change the "Update depth".

Hopefully this helps a bit,
    cheers

Tommy

EDIT:
    Checking out svn the first time you also could do the following:
    For svn root, you choose the UpdateDepth "Immediate children, including folders".
    For branches and tags you choose again "Immediate children, including folders".
    For trunk you choose "full recursive".

EDIT2:
    Did not noticed that it was already answered :oops:

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I have only checked-out the trunk, multiple times. I have about 5 working copies of the trunk, for client/server development and for parallel work. When checking in work from one of them, I do an update at the others.

I don't check out the branches directly. To see which branches we have, I use the Tortoise SVN "repository browser". If there is an interesting branch which I want to take a look at, I switch one of my working directories to that branch (using the SVN "switch" command). The advantage of doing it this way is, VS can re-use its local settings files in the working copies.

matejdro

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    So if i understand correctly, main development is going on in branches and when branch it's finished it will move to trunk.

To merge branches (to test it), i need just to replace files from branch to trunk or there are code incompatibilities?

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Normal (stable) development is done in the trunk. Only the development of bigger features, which might break the trunk, go into branches. Each one or two weeks, I merge branches into the trunk.

For non-team-members, the trunk is the best place to start. It should always be more or less stable. Branches are only for hardcore development.

Users who are viewing this thread