TBS MOI+ with MediaPortal? (1 Viewer)

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I did look and found an old post (it had whiskers) from 2013 about supporting the TBS MOI+.

I wondered if it worked with MediaPortal (of COURSE I'd keep MediaPortal - don't be silly) and how/what was required.

Basically for background I've got a server (which runs HomeSeer [home automation], MediaPortal [ think you know what that is <grin>] and iSpy Connect [CCTV])

All on Win7 32 bit.

So would it work, would it be useful (less pain for the half dozen MP clients?).

Thoughts, raspberries, and just comments all welcome.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello :)

So would it work, would it be useful (less pain for the half dozen MP clients?).
    I honestly have no idea. If it did work, the only way I can imagine it working is if TV Server's IPTV tuner is able to pull in its streams. In other words, the chain would be: signal from aerial/dish/cable whatever => MOI => TV Server => compatible clients (MediaPortal, Kodi etc.).

Unfortunately direct support is out of the question [for the foreseeable future] because the native OS is Linux-based... which means you can't install TV Server on it.

Regards,
    mm

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    Seems more like a comment/opinion than hard fact, but obviously there seems to be little interest.

As for what it is based on, that would be irrelevant surely - it is a box (like a set top box or even my NAS with the music).

Send some sort of control to it and it will respond (and presumably send the stream).

This is the way iSpyConnect works, sending http commands and getting streams (I know I mangled the plugin to make video intercoms out of it) - that is working to IP and USB cameras in client PCs!

It was a thought, avoid some of the CPU loading on the server, make a box that does a specific task (after all have a router, NAS etc. which are dedicated to their specific tasks and all the better for it than a general purpose PC)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Seems more like a comment/opinion than hard fact...
    Yes, it's a comment/opinion. You did say comments were welcome. ;)

I'm not saying that it's a "hard fact" that the MOI+ can't ever work with MediaPortal or TV Server. I'm just saying that I think it's 99% likely that the MOI+ won't work with MediaPortal and TV Server straight out of the box. If you're willing and able to invest the time to write a plugin for MediaPortal or TV Server, find and configure a package that you can install on the MOI+... or something like that... well, all power to you. You may get it working. Most people either aren't willing or aren't able to do that.

...but obviously there seems to be little interest.
    Do you mean from me, or...?

As for what it is based on, that would be irrelevant surely - it is a box (like a set top box or even my NAS with the music).
    Well, yes MOI+ is a box... but like any other box, it will only talk to another box if the 2 boxes support a common communication protocol. I've already said that I don't think { MP + MOI } or { TV Server + MOI } support a common communication protocol, and therefore you would have to modify either MediaPortal, TV Server, or "the box" to make them communicate. In this scenario, the fact that the box runs Linux becomes relevant as a constraint on the modification options.

In other words: the challenge of connecting { MP + MOI } or { TV Server + MOI } is very similar to the challenge of connecting MP or TV Server with any other Linux-based device or software (eg. MythTV, TVHeadend, DVBLast etc.).

Send some sort of control to it and it will respond (and presumably send the stream).
    Sure. The problem is that MediaPortal and TV Server currently don't know how to "send some sort of control" that the MOI+ will understand.
    Like I said, if a developer invested enough time and effort then I'm sure they could make it work.

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As far as I remember the MOI runs TvHeadend :)

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    No insult or slight implied or meant - just no interest from MP in general.

It was just that the previous thread seemed to imply it might be usable (and I thought I'd found something somewhere about these).

No, that's fine - it was a thought just to make a box that does one job well just like the router.

Thanks for the thoughts and I WILL check out that link too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom