the preview 1.7 is really slow for me. (1 Viewer)

jarsve

Portal Member
January 26, 2012
Home Country
Norway Norway
the preview 1.7 is really slow for me. when i cnange channel i almost every time have to restart the program. sometimes i have to restart the pc. but it is still slow. this is on my media portal pc With the server. but on mye Surface in the bedroom it is fast as always. so this cant be the tv server program. another thing that happends is that there is sound but no Picture. or sound but a Picture comes and go. the Picture isn't moving i have checked the cpu usage and its under 30 %. no high peak eather.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Try to disable MSE (Microsoft Essensial or windows defender) if it work then add exclusion :)

jarsve

Portal Member
    January 26, 2012
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi. The reason why I have not posted is that MP goes back to normal when I start and run test with media portal debug-mode. However, after a day or two, it start lag again.

jarsve

Portal Member
    January 26, 2012
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks. That helped for now. But why isn’t this done on installation of the program?

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks. That helped for now. But why isn’t this done on installation of the program?

For the very simple reason it's not down to MePo [or it's developers] to tinker with a end users security settings - it's a really bad idea.

The end user has to take risk view in turning off MSE [I have it OFF on my main machine as it is dedicated to MePo 100%] but have tuned exception on my play box as it's not dedicated [so it has MSE, routinely scanned with Stinger & Malware Byte............ ] but I chose the risk level, it would not be happy if MePo tried to do it for me:)

Cheers - JCMP

jarsve

Portal Member
    January 26, 2012
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

For the very simple reason it's not down to MePo [or it's developers] to tinker with a end users security settings - it's a really bad idea.

The end user has to take risk view in turning off MSE [I have it OFF on my main machine as it is dedicated to MePo 100%] but have tuned exception on my play box as it's not dedicated [so it has MSE, routinely scanned with Stinger & Malware Byte............ ] but I chose the risk level, it would not be happy if MePo tried to do it for me:)

Cheers - JCMP
    I understand what you are saying. But isn’t this a huge security risk all in all. That you can’t run MP without messing up security. Is there something that is bad in the program that does this? Something that can be fixed?

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    MP should handle firewall thingy (it does) but about but for MSE or other tool, user should add some exception (most of the time it's about Timeshift / Recording files) but with recent MSE version it lead to slowdown the startup. MP can't add exception for all kind of security tools.
    :)

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I understand what you are saying. But isn’t this a huge security risk all in all. That you can’t run MP without messing up security. Is there something that is bad in the program that does this? Something that can be fixed?

The issue is NOT with MePo but with MSE's interaction with MePo.

MSE's function is to protect the system so it looks at all running code, depending on code AND heuristics of the scan engine performance can suffer - the scan engine is updated regularly as are the definition files [daily], so there is nothing to 'fix' that could be considered stable, a specific operation set may be issue today and gone tomorrow:->

It's common [and accepted] practice to use whole range of exceptions covering directory, file types and/or processes in business settings, many vendors publish recommended exception lists for their products - is that 'messing up security' or 'tailoring security vs productivity'?

You say starts to lag after a day or two - can you check the SIZE of your log files when it starts to lag, if logs are file is being opened and read by MSE [or other AV tool], as they get bigger, the lag will increase, and MePo can be very verbose in logging. As a start [assuming MSE / MePo is the issue], apply an exception for the log dir in MePo datafiles directory [C:\Program Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\log if your using default - mine is softlink to D: so I have to put the real directory name into MSE]..

Cheers - JCMP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom