[Installation] TV Capture - Device-oriented Configuration (1 Viewer)

ChairmanMao

January 21, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm evaluating MP1.6 as a replacement for SageTV. My TV capture is done from an HDHomeRun Prime.

While I found the MP configuration reasonably straightforward (except that I can't preview channels, but that's a different thread :)), tweaking the necessary options (e.g., CAM) wasn't intuitive. It struck me that a device-oriented configuration approach would've been easier to get at the necessary settings.

Can the configuration subsystem be accessed through a custom, hardware-specific interface that way?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Are you able to elaborate a little? I don't really understand what you mean. Especially with the last question.

ChairmanMao

January 21, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Sure. One way of looking at the configuration is to select a device, and have the relevant configuration options show up on a single dialog page, or a single dialog. To me that would be more intuitive -- when I'm trying to get an HDHR Prime to work, it's convenient to have all the options which affect it's behavior accessible from the same "point" in the configuration system.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, understood.

This is difficult because the settings that affect a tuner's behaviour can be global (ie. affect all tuners) or tuner-specific (ie. affect only one tuner).

You may notice that all the "random" or "non-bulk" tuner-specific settings are already configured in one place:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/02_TV_Servers#Edit_Tuner_Settings

There are two exceptions depending on your point of view: the timeshift and record folder settings. We put these in the timeshifting and recording sections with the other global settings because it seemed to make more sense.

In my opinion everything else is already divided pretty cleanly depending on whether it is tuner-specific or global.

For example, the SDT/VCT timeout setting that you've hopefully come across as part of your CableCARD tuner configuration is a global setting. We don't think it is necessary to make it tuner specific, so we put it with the global scan settings. Showing it with other tuner-specific settings (like the "CAM" settings) would be confusing. Imagine: editing a setting for one tuner then going to view/edit another only to find that it had been updated by the previous change.

I'm not saying the current way is perfect and right. This balance between tuner-specific and global settings is tricky. If you have comments about moving specific settings then I'd be all ears. :)

In answer to your previous question about a custom hardware-specific interface...
    Aside from the database level (which isn't really usable for most people), no such interface exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom