mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

The Windows application event log says:
    [collapse]"14/11/2015 5:44:15 AM";"TV Server";"(0)";"Error";"Service cannot be started. Error: DatabaseUnavailableUnclassified Gentle.Common.GentleException: The database backend (provider SQLServer) could not be reached. Check the connection string: Password=***;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Initial Catalog=MpTvDb;Data Source=Mediaserver\SQLEXPRESS;Connection Timeout=30; ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connec...";"0"[/collapse]

Translation: TV Server failed to start because it couldn't communicate with the database server you've configured it to use (SQL Server Express).

TV Server can't run unless it can use its database. If you try to start TV Server when its database is not available (as you appear to be doing) then it is normal to get this error.

It is strange that the database would not be available. MediaPortal's installer tells Windows that it must start the database server before it attempts to start TV Server. However in your case it appears that Windows isn't aware of that rule, and is attempting to start TV Server before attempting to start SQL Server.

Please check the Windows service configuration for the "TVService" (TV Server) service. The dependencies tab should include SQL Server. If it does not, that is the problem.

P.S. I suggest you investigate the following message which I found in your Windows system event log:
    "13/11/2015 1:37:20 AM";"Microsoft-Windows-HAL";"(0)";"Error";"The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system.";"12"

There are more than 90 instances of that error in the log. Doesn't seem very healthy!

Arno31

Portal Member
    March 16, 2008
    Hello, I installed MediaPortal 1 version 1.12.0 and it crashed sometimes, mostly when watching TV. Therefore I re-installed completely Windows 7, updated it to the latest updates and installed MediaPortal 1.13.0. I use the default skin "wide" (not titan), and xmltv extension. But crashes stared again when watching TV.

More specifically, the image suddenly freezes, sometimes the sound continues to work but neither the remote nor the keyboard respond.

Could someone help ?

I attach the bug report

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Arno31

Portal Member
    March 16, 2008
    Thank you, I'll try tonight. Could you be a bit more specific for the patch : should I download the file "Core_1.13_removed_lock.v3.zip" anf if yes, what should I do with the "Core.dll" inside ?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    should I download the file "Core_1.13_removed_lock.v3.zip"
    Yes.

what should I do with the "Core.dll" inside ?
    Use it to replace the Core.dll in your MediaPortal install folder:
    1. Close MP and MP Configuration.
    2. Open Windows Explorer
    3. Navigate to your MediaPortal install directory (typically c:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal).
    4. Make a backup of Core.dll in case anything goes wrong.
    5. Download and extract the patched Core.dll to replace the standard one.

Arno31

Portal Member
    March 16, 2008
    Thank you. I tested yesterday evening and it seems to work. Let's cross fingers ! Thank you again for the nice support !

Users who are viewing this thread