TV-Server installed on Windows Server 2012 R2 (1 Viewer)

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    TV-Server installed on Windows Server 2012 R2
    Yes it works, running just fine.
    And no need to do the hacks of getting files from Windows 8 or 8.1 go get BDA support.

Here is what I did.
    Install Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard edition.
    Enable Server Essentials Experience role and do the basic configuration, that will take you some time...
    Download and install Windows Server Essentials Media Pack.
    Download and install the driver for your tv tuner, in my case HDHomeRun HDHR3-EU.
    Download and install Mediaportal 1.6, I only installed TV-Server part.
    (disabled windows firewall, this is probably not needed)
    Scan for channels and test a client connection, worked perfectly and not a problem in sight.
    Download and install Mpextended, Install IIS Express 7.5 and then webmediaportal, works like a charm.

No this is not a thorough test, it's probably never gonna be officially supported.
    Before you say "wohoo, I'm gonna toss my Windows 7/8 whatever version there are many more things to consider.
    Like are all your other hardware supported, is there even drivers for it? What do you do and who do you ask of not...
    Are all your other software supported, if not supported can I even install it?
    And what about MePo plugins... (if not just tv-server)
    And blah blah blah...
    This was just a test and I just wanted to share with you what I did and what I used to test it.
    My TV-Server is still running on Windows 8.1 and doing just fine there :)

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi 4Fred,
    the "Server 2012 R" has no IIS-Webserver on board?

It does, but webmediaportal wanted IIS Express 7.5 so I installed it. If Windows Server 2012 R2 ever will be considered as a supported platform things like that probably need to be considered and or changed.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    My TV & File Server has been running on Windows Server 2008 R2 / Server 2012 for years.

It does, but webmediaportal wanted IIS Express 7.5 so I installed it.
    Then you must have missed this: http://www.**************/download-webmediaportaliis.html
    For as long as i remember, MPExtended also supports the standard IIS ;)

irelandp

Portal Member
    September 25, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for this mega tip - worked perfectly. Windows Server 2013 with a Hauppauge HVR4000 card. Initially tested with WinTV - was OK, then with Mediaportal (my preferred media centre). Again all OK.

Thanks again

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Would be good if one of you experts could try a tv server install on windows embedded to see what additional things need to be done to get it running!?! ;-)

I use windows embedded 'set top box' profile with mediaportal for my client PC...works a treat. Loads straight up into MP like a set top box. Always wanted to run embedded as a 'thin client' or another 'set top box' style for my tv server, but after everything installs and I try to open the tv server configuration nothin happens! Tried a few things but after hours of not really knowing what the problem is I just recent back to installing windows 7 64 bit on my tv server machine!

Matthew Houston

Portal Member
    March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Dude how did you manage the install, I get the message that it's not supported and then blergh nothing happens.

I'm running Server 2012 Essentials. The installation seems to fail but it closes to quickly for me to see![DOUBLEPOST=1401096513][/DOUBLEPOST]Errr NV I think I fixed it... its amazing that simply writing a message can trigger your mind ha ha

For any who are also struggling, I set the installer to Windows 8 compatibility mode and run as administrator, that seemed to do the trick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom