TV Server - TV Card detection issue (1 Viewer)

axlt2002

Portal Pro
September 20, 2012
Home Country
Italy Italy
Hi guys,

Yesterday I was setting up the TV Server for the first time. No issues in initially detecting my dual TV tuner PCI card (seen as two separated/indipendent cards) as well as in founding services and associate them to the cards.

After some restarts of the PC, one of the two cards originally dected become "Unknown" and a "new third card" has been detected.

DuWB1GF.jpg

After another restart, the "Unknown" card has been put at the end of the list, while the "new one" replaced it in the second position (I have no picture for this).

Any idea about which could be the issue?

Thanks in advance for any help!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

This sort of behaviour has been reported before for various USB tuners. For example:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/usb-tuners-changes-periodically-device-path.133473/
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/two-peak-22-dual-tuner-issue.109046/

Although your tuner is a PCI card, it's actually built using 2 x Realtek RTL283x chips (DVB-T/DAB/DAB+/FM => USB) plus a USB to PCI bridge chipset. In other words, it's like a USB tuner on a PCI card. Therefore it can suffer the same problems as regular USB tuners.

From a TV Server perspective there's nothing we can do about the situation. TV Server only creates new tuners when Windows tells TV Server that there are new tuners available. So, the fault is either with Windows... or more likely, the tuner driver.

At your own risk, you could try the suggestion to disable the shell hardware detection service from the first thread linked above.
    Disclaimer: I have no idea what the effects of doing that could be, so I do not recommend it and I take no responsibility for the consequences if you decide to try it.

Regards,
    mm

axlt2002

Portal Pro
    September 20, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Thanks a lot for your answer and pointing out the other threads related to this issue.

I will try to find a new version of the drivers first...as a second chance, to stop the mentioned service and see if this will imply some side-effects...

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom