TV Service Failed to Start (1 Viewer)

Luke Hendo

February 26, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi there,

My TV Service is failing to start after restarting my computer (it had been working fine). I am running mySQL in wamp (for owncloud). I get the attached message. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Luke

Attachments

• tvservice.png
    tvservice.png
    29 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Luke

Please zip and post all the TV Server log files from c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\log. Note that ProgramData is a hidden folder, so you may need to copy + paste the above path into the address bar in Windows Explorer in order to get there.

Luke Hendo

February 26, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    so sorry about delay - had family staying over weekend. Please find attached the zipped log. I really appreciate your help.

Attachments

• log_zip.zip
      104.7 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the log files Luke :)

The only error I can see is this one:
    [2015-03-02 13:12:22,386] [Log ] [SetupTv ] [ERROR] - ServiceHelper: Starting TvService failed. Please check your installation.
    Error: System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service TVService on computer '.'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The dependency service or group failed to start
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
    at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start()
    at SetupTv.ServiceHelper.Start(String aServiceName)

It is strange, because the TV service seems to have been running fine only 2 minutes prior to that.

I wonder whether the dependency referred to in the error is something to do with the database. Normally the TV service (ie. the Windows service "TVService" that TV Server installs) is configured to depend on:
    1. The RPC service, to ensure networking is up and working before Windows tries to start the TV service... because TV Server needs network access to run successfully.
    2. The database service (which will either be MySQL or SQL Server)... because TV Server needs database access to run successfully.
    The log files are telling me that when you set up your database connection (-->this screen<--), you said the MySQL service name was "MySQL":
    [2015-03-01 22:01:13,581] [Log ] [SetupTv ] [INFO ] - SetupDatabaseForm: Added dependency for TvService - MySQL

Is that really the correct name of the MySQL service associated with WAMP?

Off the top of my head, I thought the MySQL service name was usually MySQL51, MySQL56 etc...

Regards,
    mm

Luke Hendo

February 26, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yes, it was started 2 mins prior because it happens after i restart my computer. As a work around, I have just been reinstalling the TV Server every time I restart the computer (not ideal).

How do I check what the MySQL service name is?

Thanks again

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    How do I check what the MySQL service name is?
    Press the "Windows" key + x.
    Select "computer management".
    Expand "services and applications".
    Select "services".
    The MySQL service should be in that list, starting with M...
    Right click on the service entry and select "properties".
    The service and display names should be shown.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay.
    While you're there can you check the TV service properties and see which services it is marked as dependant on.
    Also, can you please check the application and system event logs for errors. They're up under system tools > event viewer > Windows logs.

Luke Hendo

February 26, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    TV service is dependent on MySQL and network connections (it wouldn't have anything to do with running a static ip would it?)

Getting following system errors:
    The TVService service depends on the MySQL service which failed to start because of the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.
    The MySQL service failed to start due to the following error:
    The TVService service depends on the MySQL service which failed to start because of the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.[DOUBLEPOST=1425429402][/DOUBLEPOST]just wanted to reiterate that by reinstalling the tvservice, everything works fine. Then after a restart, it fails to start again until I reinstall it.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    TV service is dependent on MySQL and network connections
    Okay.

it wouldn't have anything to do with running a static ip would it?
    No, definitely not. In fact my first recommendation for somebody installing TV Server is to use a static IP address.

Getting following system errors:
    Right, so you have an answer as to the cause.
    TV Server (TV service) depends on the database [service]. If the database - in your case MySQL - can't start or can't be accessed then TV Server also won't be able to start. Windows won't even attempt to start the TV service unless it is able to start the database and RPC services.

So again, it seems from the above messages that the MySQL service is not starting and running successfully on (re)boot.
    Can you confirm that?
    What is the name of the file that the message refers to?

just wanted to reiterate that by reinstalling the tvservice, everything works fine. Then after a restart, it fails to start again until I reinstall it.
    Do you start the MySQL service manually? ...or why would Windows say that it wasn't able to start the MySQL service at boot up, and yet TV Server is obviously able to access it when you reinstall?
    Are you running the installer with admin privileges?
    Do you use any security software (firewall, anti-virus etc.)?

Users who are viewing this thread