TV Setup (1 Viewer)

Palmerhouse

February 26, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm having trouble setting up MP for TV. I have a Hauppauge WintV-DCR-2650 attached to a Windows 10 computer that satisfies all the specification requirements. When I scan for channels, I get the message "signal locked, no channels found." I've seen this in various postings but haven't been able to pinpoint the problem. It may be that I'm making a dumb mistake. I've been assuming that I have to first find the channels and then activate my cablecard - my thinking being that I need to have the setup complete before I activate, so that I can see that the activation is successful. Is this wrong? Should I activate first and then scan?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

Is this wrong? Should I activate first and then scan?
    Yes. According to my understanding you need to activate the CableCARD with your cable provider before it can be used for anything, including scanning.

Beyond that, it's very difficult to help you without knowing which version of MediaPortal you're using and access to log files.

Regards,
    mm

Palmerhouse

February 26, 2016
    Home Country
    I attempted to activate and got the same result. I'm using MediaPortal 1 (latest version). I am uploading two log files relating to my attempt - I don't know which are important. Thank you.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I attempted to activate and got the same result.
    Was the attempt successful? I mean, obviously the same result would be expected if it was not.

I'm using MediaPortal 1 (latest version).
    Okay.
    Did you configure as per the wiki (manual) or the instructions here?
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/cablecard-tuner-support-for-mediaportal-1.112585/

I am uploading two log files relating to my attempt - I don't know which are important.
    Thanks. Unfortunately those log files aren't particularly helpful. The most important varies from problem to problem, but it's often the TVService.log.
    Please could you zip all the log files, and attach the zip file.

Palmerhouse

February 26, 2016
    Home Country
    Thank you again for your help. My attempt to activate failed. The instructions you referred me to point to some dll files that are earlier than the ones I have now. Does it make sense to do this? Log files are attached.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    My attempt to activate failed.
    Hmmm, okay - that's really not a good sign.

The instructions you referred me to point to some dll files that are earlier than the ones I have now. Does it make sense to do this?
    Do you mean this patch...?
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...for-mediaportal-1.112585/page-63#post-1056643

If yes, my answer would be yes.
    If no, please specify which DLLs you're asking about.

Log files are attached.
    Thanks.
    Most of the time (48 out of 54 attempts) this is what's happening:
    [2016-02-27 14:39:17,606] [Log ] [33 ] [DEBUG] - DRI CC: check OOB tuner lock...
    [2016-02-27 14:39:17,606] [Log ] [33 ] [DEBUG] - carrier lock = False
    [2016-02-27 14:39:17,606] [Log ] [33 ] [DEBUG] - frequency = 72750 kHz
    [2016-02-27 14:39:17,606] [Log ] [33 ] [INFO ] - DRI CC: scan initialisation failed, removing subchannel

...and so scanning fails immediately.
    "OOB" stands for "out-of-band". The OOB tuner/channel is the source of lineup/channel information which TV Server uses to build your channel list. When the OOB tuner cannot lock on signal as above, it means that TV Server cannot receive lineup/channel information. In other words: scanning will not work.

I assume you've connected cable to the tuner?

Who is your cable provider? (Comcast, Time-Warner, Cox, Charter, Verizon FIOS...?)

Do you have a tuning adaptor/resolver (TA / TR) for receiving switched digital video (SDV)?
    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadgethd.com/media/2008/05/mtr70017lg.jpg
    http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/faqs/faqs-tv/switcheddi/what-is-a-tuning-adapter.html
    http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/s...witcheddi/what-is-switched-digital-video.html

Does the tuner work at all with other software such as Hauppauge WinTV 8?

Do you know that the tuner works? (For example, have you used it with Windows 7 or 8 in the past?)

Palmerhouse

February 26, 2016
    Home Country
    The patch is supposed to fix a problem of "slow cablecard detection." MP sees my cablecard tuner and identifies it as Atsc. I know that Time Warner requires a tuning adapter but my cable provider is Comcast, and it is my understanding that I do not need a tuning adapter/resolver with Comcast. Is that wrong? The tuner is brand new. I have not been able to get it to work with WinTV-8, but it is my understanding that WinTV-8 doesn't work with Windows 10.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The patch is supposed to fix a problem of "slow cablecard detection." MP sees my cablecard tuner and identifies it as Atsc.
    I was the person who added CableCARD tuner support to MediaPortal, and I also created the patch. My advice would be to install it, but at the end of the day it's completely up to you.

I know that Time Warner requires a tuning adapter but my cable provider is Comcast, and it is my understanding that I do not need a tuning adapter/resolver with Comcast. Is that wrong?
    No, I think you're right. TW does use TA/TR in at least some areas, and as far as I know Comcast does not at present.

The tuner is brand new. I have not been able to get it to work with WinTV-8, but it is my understanding that WinTV-8 doesn't work with Windows 10.
    Okay.
    Hauppauge's website clearly indicates that WinTV 8 should be compatible with Windows 7, 8, and 10. So, you should be able to get the tuner working with WinTV 8. If you can't, there's clearly something wrong with either the CableCARD, the tuner, or the process you've followed to install, connect and configure/activate the tuner and/or CableCARD. Unfortunately I'm unable to help with any of these.

At this point I would probably recommend that you install WinTV 8 and contact Hauppauge support if you can't get it working. Hauppauge should be able to give you more targeted support with your tuner. Assuming you get the tuner working with WinTV 8, you should also be able to get it working in MediaPortal after that if you still want to.

Palmerhouse

February 26, 2016
    Home Country
    Guess what - it now works! Something you said made me think that there must be something wrong with the connections, and I discovered that the tip of a coaxial connection was very loose - as soon as I touched it, it came off! Once I tightened that, I got everything to work. Thank you very much for your help.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ahhh, that makes sense. I'm glad you managed to figure it out. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom