TV Setup (1 Viewer)

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
December 8, 2004
North America
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi, I have time warner cable and was thinking about getting a cable card for use with MP1. Am I right in understanding that in addition to the WinTV-DCR-2650 I may also need a TA/TR device as well? If so, how would I determine if one was needed or not, and which one to get?
Thanks!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi CodeMonkey

I have time warner cable and was thinking about getting a cable card for use with MP1.
    Unfortunately with Time Warner you may not be able to view/record much more than your local channels due to their copy protection policy, but that varies from area to area so you may get lucky.

Am I right in understanding that in addition to the WinTV-DCR-2650 I may also need a TA/TR device as well?
    Again, my understanding is that depends on the area you're in, and whether TW has implemented switched digital video (SDV) in your area. If TW still has analog cable in your area then there's a good chance you'll need one.

If so, how would I determine if one was needed or not...?
    As above. I think TW may be the only "person" who can give a definitive answer.

...and which one to get?
    My understanding is that TW would need to supply it, same as if you had one of their set top boxes.

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    Thanks for the info. I can plug the cable into an older TV and get the basic channels, so it would seem to have analog as well as digital channels so I suspect at best I will need the TA/TR device. Plus I would like access to the non basic channels I subscribe too if possible.
    But I remember back when you were implementing this, I called TW tech support about the whole "copy once", "copy freely" copy control information thing and the people (multiple) that I spoke to had no clue. That was a while ago, maybe I will ask again. If I ask about the TA/TR device maybe that will help this time.

Otherwise do you know of any way I can check, or a website maybe, that would let me know what is possible with TW in my area?

Thanks again!

[EDIT] I found a online list for for my area shows that a tuner is required, and that that channels are "Locals Copy Freely, Expanded Copy Once". Can MP display copy once channels? I think I found the answer in another older thread. Copy Once, really isn't and all I would get is basic channels. Not worth the expense, but I will call just in case TW suddenly felt generous and changed all to copy freely ;)

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Otherwise do you know of any way I can check, or a website maybe, that would let me know what is possible with TW in my area?
    No, sorry.

I found a online list for for my area shows that a tuner is required, and that that channels are "Locals Copy Freely, Expanded Copy Once".
    That's sounds consistent with what other people have reported for TW.

Can MP display copy once channels?
    No, sorry again. No viewing and no recording for copy once channels/content. Currently WMC is the only PC-based solution for accessing copy once protected content, and obviously it will enforce all the associated restrictions (can't copy recordings to another PC etc.).

...just in case TW suddenly felt generous and changed all to copy freely ;)
    From what I've heard of TW, the day they change all to copy freely will be the same day pigs fly and money starts to grow on trees. :(

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    ...just in case TW suddenly felt generous and changed all to copy freely ;)
    From what I've heard of TW, the day they change all to copy freely will be the same day pigs fly and money starts to grow on trees. :(
    That's pretty much the answer I got from TW tech support as well. At least he was honest :)

TW has apparently merged with Charter. Does anyone know Charters CCI policy? I found a informative page on the charter website that explains it pretty well, but no mention of how they have their channels set. http://www.charter.net/support/general/digital-copy-control-tv-programming/

Wow Charter looks really good from a list I found! Ranges from everything copy freely to everything but premiums like HBO. Maybe there is hope yet :)

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah, maybe. It will be really interesting to see how quickly and how deeply Charter integrates TW, which systems get kept and which get thrown out etc. as I think things like that would determine whether Charter's CCI policy gets carried over to formerly TW areas. Unfortunately there's probably a lot of inertia to overcome, so it will probably take some time before any changes are seen... if they're ever going to be seen, that is. We won't even consider the alternative possibility that TW's policy invades Charter. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom