TvServer cannot Write to network share since upgrade to Win10 (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    How do you sign in on the Win 10 machine? Domain user, local account or Microsoft account?

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sign in is local account. Sure i can set creds for the share. Do you have any idea how to tell a service like the tvserver to use them?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hhm, strange, under local account there should be no issue. If you set credentials for the share, it will probably work out of the box, once you have accessed it, e.g. via Explorer, and provided credentials.

But I don' have any personal experience, running a Win Server 2012 system here.

From a security concept perspective it might be better to not use any completely open shares.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sure but it's home ;-) can you tell me how to assign creds to a service? Are you sure if I enter creds with my account it works for a service? This won't make sense for a security concept ;-)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sure but it's home ;-)
    Of course, but Microsoft doesn't make a distinction anymore.

can you tell me how to assign creds to a service? Are you sure if I enter creds with my account it works for a service?
    The service is running under the user account's security context. See screenshot. You can change the credentials, but I don't recommend doing this. It is not ncessary and will create a potential source of connection issue if you ever change your accounts on the Samba server.

Unbenannt.JPG

This won't make sense for a security concept ;-)
    Why would it not? The security is bound to the local user and defined at this level.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Mhm but local system account isn't the user account isn't it? I've added user and pw to the Windows password tresure but still no change. ;-( luckily this is a VM and I've rolled back to win7 and everything I find again.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Mhm but local system account isn't the user account isn't it?
    The accounts are of course different but the security context is the same. Yet system is of course an independent account.

Mhm but local system account isn't the user account isn't it?
    I've added user and pw to the Windows password tresure but still no change.
    The problem is not an unknown password at Windows level but the anonymous login, which is not directly supported anymore.

One more registry hack - if you haven't done that yet: check out the follwing settings and set both values to 0.

Unbenannt.JPG

Last edited:

Nervesagent

Portal Pro
    February 26, 2014
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I had something similar.Just delete your shares and recreate them.
    Are you using Freenas? Why should deleting them on the server help? Do you use WIn 10?

Is the share running on a Windows OS? If yes, you can disable the need to use credentials for it.

If connecting to a Samba NAS you normally need an account on the server, hence it depends on which user/account is trying to connect. Check out the Windows event log for details about the user context of the attempted connection to the share.

No it's a Samba share. And i use the guest access. So no need for an account. It also works fine with WIn 10 for my normal user account. It just does not for the local service account all services are running with.
    No I use Win10 as server and client. After upgrading both from Win7 I could not get access to my shares on the server.
    I did use credentials on my shares (I think), but just to get it fixed I removed and reshared them.

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I was struggling with this issue too. Activating SMB 1.0 support under Windows Features made it possible to see the shares in an explorer window on \\NAME and \\NAME\SHARE
    But recording to this path was impossible because the NAS is not visible in the network in the selectionbox for the recording path. A network share as X:\ did not work either.
    An export and adjusted import with paths (\\NAS\SHARE) was also not working, each time it would go back to the old, not working, recording path (X:\). Restart of tvserver was done offcouse.
    I fixed this issue by going into the TV database into the cards table and updated the cells of the recording paths with \\\\NAS\\SHARE
    Now it's working as expected.
    Please fix this issue MP Devteam by making it possible to enter a path manualy by text instead of a selection box.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    An export and adjusted import with paths (\\NAS\SHARE) was also not working, each time it would go back to the old, not working, recording path (X:\).
    It's not a case of "going back". Tuner settings simply aren't imported. So, you can't set the recording folder that way.

Please fix this issue MP Devteam by making it possible to enter a path manualy by text instead of a selection box.
    Can you please explain exactly what you consider "this issue" to be?
    Obviously I understand what you're asking for. However I want to understand your perspective better:
    • why you think the change is necessary
    • why your NAS/share(s) is not visible in the "network" section of Windows Explorer (which is not TV Server's fault)
    • etc.

Currently I respectfully object to your proposal for the reason that entering a path manually is error prone (typos etc.). In this context errors are serious because they directly lead to failed recordings. Failing to record is one of the worst things TV Server can do from a user perspective.

I also keep in the back of my mind that recording (or time-shifting) directly to network shares is not recommended in the first place. The increased file access latency can cause hard-to-debug problems such as glitches in recordings and/or live TV. Seeking (and channel changes) will be slower. So I ask myself: do we really want to make it easier to record to NAS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom