TvServer cannot Write to network share since upgrade to Win10 (1 Viewer)

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for the reply mm1352000. :)

An export and adjusted import with paths (\\NAS\SHARE) was also not working, each time it would go back to the old, not working, recording path (X:\).
    It's not a case of "going back". Tuner settings simply aren't imported. So, you can't set the recording folder that way.

That's strange, as this is implicated on import page that it exports and imports settings. If you check after import the new settings are there. Obviously they aren't saved as i found out.

Please fix this issue MP Devteam by making it possible to enter a path manualy by text instead of a selection box.
    Can you please explain exactly what you consider "this issue" to be?
    Obviously I understand what you're asking for. However I want to understand your perspective better:
    • why you think the change is necessary
    • why your NAS/share(s) is not visible in the "network" section of Windows Explorer (which is not TV Server's fault)
    • etc.
    Currently I respectfully object to your proposal for the reason that entering a path manually is error prone (typos etc.). In this context errors are serious because they directly lead to failed recordings. Failing to record is one of the worst things TV Server can do from a user perspective.

I also keep in the back of my mind that recording (or time-shifting) directly to network shares is not recommended in the first place. The increased file access latency can cause hard-to-debug problems such as glitches in recordings and/or live TV. Seeking (and channel changes) will be slower. So I ask myself: do we really want to make it easier to record to NAS?

In Windows 10 there is an issue with NAS not visible onder network section. You can find a lot about it on the net. Sure this is not TV Servers fault, but i did not said it was.
    I like to have an other option than going deep into the database.
    I used the NAS option because my TV Server is going to hibernation when it's not used and it keeps it playable for clients. But most recent technology makes this maybe less important as energy usage by HTPC's are decreasing, i have to think about that.
    On 41 Watt usage i can maybe add a recording disk in the HTPC. OS is on SSD.

B.t.w. i never had, for >8 years an issue with latency. Timeshifting was always on SSD and Recording on the NAS. I have Gigabit ethernet cable network and Qnap NAS.

Last edited:

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    maybe try this tips
    Can't see NAS drives in your network on Windows 10? Here is the solution:
    1/ run cmd as admin
    2/ sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
    3/ sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled
    Restart and you are done!

https://it.awroblew.biz/windows-10-and-problems-accessing-smb-shares/

From Microsoft page
    How to enable or disable SMB protocols on the SMB client
    Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012
    Note When you enable or disable SMBv2 in Windows 8 or in Windows Server 2012, SMBv3 is also enabled or disabled. This behavior occurs because these protocols share the same stack.
    • To disable SMBv1 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
      sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb20/nsi
      sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= disabled
    • To enable SMBv1 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
      sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= auto
    • To disable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
      sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled
    • To enable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
      sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

Notes
    • You must run these commands at an elevated command prompt.
    • You must restart the computer after you make these changes.

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    maybe try this tips
    Can't see NAS drives in your network on Windows 10? Here is the solution:
    1/ run cmd as admin
    2/ sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
    3/ sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled
    Restart and you are done!

https://it.awroblew.biz/windows-10-and-problems-accessing-smb-shares/

From Microsoft page
    How to enable or disable SMB protocols on the SMB client
    Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012
    Note When you enable or disable SMBv2 in Windows 8 or in Windows Server 2012, SMBv3 is also enabled or disabled. This behavior occurs because these protocols share the same stack.
    • To disable SMBv1 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
      sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb20/nsi
      sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= disabled
    • To enable SMBv1 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
      sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= auto
    • To disable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
      sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled
    • To enable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
      sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto
    Notes
    • You must run these commands at an elevated command prompt.
    • You must restart the computer after you make these changes.

Thanks azzuro, i found those commands to but it didn't work for me. Many users are reporting this. I shall check again if any work. I now have a working solution so more easy testing now. :)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    i have this problem too,
    i have synology 1512+, and my nas is not available in explorer, i must force the name in explorer, for have acces.
    Code:
    //NAS-NAME/

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    i have this problem too,
    i have synology 1512+, and my nas is not available in explorer, i must force the name in explorer, for have acces.
    Code:
    //NAS-NAME/

Same issue. Did those commands work for you?
    I cannot record to the network share too if i add a drive letter to it. i.e. X:\

GuiltyNL

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I still have issues.

When using the default account for the TV Service, Mediaportal can read recordings (I moved manually) from the NAS, but it can't be deleted.

I tried every registry settings in this topic.

When I change the credentials to an local admin user, I'm able to remove the recordings. But I'm not able to view live TV, because with a local admin account TV Service has a high CPU usage, ffmpeg is spiking in CPU, also when not watching a channel.

I'm a bit out of options. Ofcourse my NAS has enable anonymous / guest acces with full permissions on my recordings share.

On Windows 7 it always worked. There is something strange in Windows 10. :(

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    But I'm not able to view live TV, because with a local admin account TV Service has a high CPU usage, ffmpeg is spiking in CPU, also when not watching a channel.
    ffmpeg is used to create thumbnails. Thumbnail creation happens only once, so... yes you will see high CPU usage while TV service creates thumbnails for your whole recording library... but after that it should settle down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom