tomfrogger

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2006
    Trellech
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Hey folks.

I've run in to an issue with paytv hd channels, where by some channels are now only accessible via the official sat receiver and no longer through my dvb-s2 card and alternative decryption techniques. Not sure if its an extra level of encryption or a move to a stream/codec that is unrecognisable either by my dvb-s2 card or tv server & progdvb (some variant of h265?).

I want to continue paying my subs as I want the highest quality streams to live media (sports and local content) so I'm going to have to move the TV tuning back to a STB. However I really, really want tvserver to be able to accept a HDMI capture device like the following example:

http://www.dx.com/p/hdmi-1-3-pci-express-high-definition-video-capture-card-72046

This would bring tv functionality back in to MediaPortal in a way that was possible with s-video style capture days but with a hd stream instead of a fuzzy analogue one. IRSS blaster functionality already exists.

Does the device require bda drivers? Would it be possible to donate a device to Devs so that they can implement this sort of solution?

I can only see this becoming more of a problem with unique device/unique decryption key media delivery systems with the pc both windows and linux being locked out of them. So in order to continue using MP I would love a workaround

So my question is would there be any sort of interest in MediaPortal moving in this direction? We would have an extra option should a direct pci-e dvb-s/t/c card no longer offer the functionality to decrypt within the computer itself.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

MediaPortal already supports the Hauppauge Colossus and HD-PVR HD capture devices. For now they're the only cards supported. We are looking at more general capture card support for the future, but no promises.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom