Using raspberry pi as a client (1 Viewer)

Klaus Bommelmaier

November 30, 2013
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
Hello everybody

Currently my tv is connected via hdmi to my computer (latest ml version), which works great so far. However I have to switch the display output to tv all the time I want to listen music, watch movies, etc.

So, i have a raspberry pi lying around and I am wondering if it's possible to use it as a client and my computer as a server. So I can connect the pi via HDMI to my TV and my local network and stream media to it from my computer (mp server).

And thoughts/suggestions on this? Can I use openelec on the raspberry in combination with mediaportal?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It can be done with XBMC on the Pi with the TV plugin installed, but it is pretty slow and doesn't (from my experience) give a great user experience.

Klaus Bommelmaier

November 30, 2013
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Thanks for replying. Well, I do not plan to watch TV on the Pi. I am not sure if this makes any difference regarding the performance. All I want is listen to music and watch videos from my harddisk.

mhoogenbosch

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 21, 2008
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It can be done with XBMC on the Pi with the TV plugin installed, but it is pretty slow and doesn't (from my experience) give a great user experience.
    I would agree to it not being very fast. but it gives a pretty good experience in my opinion. Since a while now i have a Rasp and use it to watch some series and movies upstairs (bedroom), for this it is working okay. I've overclocked the Rasp to 950mhz instead of the default 700.

It is not fit to watch TV. A channel change takes about 20 seconds, which is unacceptable in my opinion. For just watching movies and series it's fine.

But indeed, you only can use XBMC (i'm using the OpenElec release)

earthtorob

January 27, 2016
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    You can use your raspberry Pi. Install the OpenELEC and then point it to a share on your server. You don't need to go through MP to listen to the music. Just have your Music in a shared folder and make sure your ID3 info is correct. KODI will import the data and you can use your Cell phone to select your music.

Also through the tv user interface you can set up playlists and smart playlists to select the music you like. The speed on an original Raspberry Pi is more than fast enough to handle all of your music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom