Version 1.11 and Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

Adam86

Portal Pro
April 19, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi guys,

So I thought I would upgrade my main machine to Windows 10 latest build.

This evening I thought everything was all fine until we tried watching some TV and got absolutely no sound. If i try playing some things it works but other things don't.

Does anyone know if this is a known issue with Windows 10? is it just simply a case of waiting for proper compatibility?

I've attached the logs if this helps?

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

I'll get straight to the point: try using a DirectSound audio renderer for TV. A lot of people report similar problems when using the MediaPortal Audio Renderer for TV. As the wiki says:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/9_Codecs_and_Renderer/1_TV_Codecs
    MediaPortal Audio Renderer is often recommended for smooth video playback. However, it may not work with your TV provider(s). If you have TV playback problems (pauses, unsynchronised video/audio, no audio at all) when using the MediaPortal Audio Renderer, try another option (eg. DirectSound).

Regards,
    mm

Adam86

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Hello,

I can try changing it to DirectSound on the TV side and see if it works but it was always spot on for me on Windows 8.1 - I know what you mean about it could cause issues for the TV side because on my Dad's setup he had nothing but problems so I had to change that to DirectShow.

This also wasn't right when I tried playing local content on the device, i.e a video which had AAC audio, it would play for a minute or two and then the sound would just disappear.

Cheers

Adam86

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Just a little update, this morning before going to work I have unticked "use exclusive mode" in MPAR and audio now seems to be working again now on the TV and on the video file I tried watching last night.

Don't know what the consequences of not using exclusive mode are though!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Don't know what the consequences of not using exclusive mode are though!

'Not exclusive' means other sources can share the audio device, so the sound has to go via the Windows sound mixer so the quality might get degraded a small amount. Since digital TV sound is heavily compressed anyway using MPEG/AAC/AC3 I wouldn't worry about any possible quality loss....;)

Adam86

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi Owlsroost,

Thanks for confirming that. I'll monitor over the next couple of days how I get on and worst case scenario I will have to restore my backup of Windows 8.1 as I can't live without MediaPortal :)

Adam86

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Unfortunately my wife just text me to say the TV had frozen up so doesn't look too promising :-(

Adam86

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Kept having to fight the thing last night and today - TV kept freezing and going to grey screens. Tried configuring TV to use FFDShow and SPDIF wouldn't work at all. So for now I have restored my Windows 8.1 backup for now. I suspect the issues are down to the Intel HD Graphics 4600 drivers not been ready for the RTM release yet as it is unusual how SPDIF didn't work.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom