[Usability] WatchDog improvements (1 Viewer)

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I do not remember what was the last state when I stopped working on this. Is there any bug or missing feature?

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    I do not remember what was the last state when I stopped working on this. Is there any bug or missing feature?
    let me try to help you for restore your memory :p

1. Rename the ZIP file
    my patch
    0001-rename-the-zip-name.patch

From the post n° 162 https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/watchdog-improvements.118979/page-17#post-1116262
    2. Add more Power Management

0001-Add-Shutdown-Power-Off-action-to-TVserver.patch

3. Add option for select from where we want collect logs. ( only design change )
    0001-Collecting-logs-source.patch

4. Use WOL if we run Watchdog on client, and we want TV logs ( if the server is offline)
    no patch from me.. too hard for me :(
    WOL is send during the collect of logs ( if server is offline, with an timeout, who can be set manually and saved )

i hope i don't forget nothing ...

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    1. Rename the ZIP file
    Can somebody please explain the purpose of this change?

2. Add more Power Management
    1. What is the difference between "shutdown" and "power off"?
    2. Please use proper product names. "TvServer" should be replaced with "TV Server".

3. Add option for select from where we want collect logs. ( only design change )
    Why is this option needed?

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Why is this option needed?
    this one is more, for when you have multi seat, and don't neek to take logs from TV server if not needed. like MP plugin or MP GUI itself.

What is the difference between "shutdown" and "power off"?
    Power Off - Shuts down the computer and turns off the power (if supported by the computer in question).

Shutdown - Shuts down the computer to a point where it is safe to turn off the power. (All file buffers are flushed to disk, and all running processes are stopped.) Users see the message, It is now safe to turn off your computer.

During shutdown the system sends a message to each running application. The applications perform any cleanup while processing the message and return True to indicate that they can be terminated.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    @regeszter : i have upload an installer on 1st post, with MP1.12 merge ( error onmy side to build, dDshow was always VS2010)

only one clonflict on Mediaportal.sln about minidisplay branch. but nothing else.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    this one is more, for when you have multi seat, and don't neek to take logs from TV server if not needed. like MP plugin or MP GUI itself.
    Okay, in my opinion this is not a good idea. People already get confused about which option to use. Another choice will be even more confusing. Is it possible to always grab all log files?

Power Off - Shuts down the computer and turns off the power (if supported by the computer in question).
    Shutdown - Shuts down the computer to a point where it is safe to turn off the power. (All file buffers are flushed to disk, and all running processes are stopped.) Users see the message, It is now safe to turn off your computer.
    I can guarantee this will be confusing. It also seems like a security concern to be providing a service that enables remote reboot/shutdown without user interaction. For this reason I am not in favour of including any of the power options.

better sort by windows. based on name of file, for easy sort by date.
    That's fine, but why use "MP" and "TVE"? New users will not know what they are. Please use full product names for clarity.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Okay, in my opinion this is not a good idea. People already get confused about which option to use. Another choice will be even more confusing. Is it possible to always grab all log files?
    for now, it's set like this, the option, is not implemented yet.

That's fine, but why use "MP" and "TVE"? New users will not know what they are. Please use full product names for clarity.
    in my opinion, i dislike because the name too long.

I can guarantee this will be confusing. It also seems like a security concern to be providing a service that enables remote reboot/shutdown without user interaction. For this reason I am not in favour of including any of the power options.
    i'm not sure, if both of this function is good to keep, maybe only one can be really use.

but this idea, is more for my use :
    i do'nt have screen/keyboard/mouse on my TVE server. so, i need to connect to him with RDP. with this no need, when i test, i can send the computer to sleep ( ah, @regeszter : i have forget to add the sleep function, can you ? )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom