Watching recorded tv shows stop my timeshift (1 Viewer)

mserena

August 14, 2014
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi,
I'm very new to the htpc world and only this week I decided to try MP. Working well so far, but having a problem with how the Recorded TV set up works.
I want to watch a show that I have recorded from Live TV but when I do that, the TV feature is disabled.
When I press stop in the recorded program I have no time-shift buffer to go back to.
Normally when I'm watching Live-TV and I try press stop it asks if i want to turn off time-shift, but if I'm watching a recording i don't have that ability.
I find this a bit counter intuitive.

Any advice?
Thanks

Mark

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Mark :)

When I press stop in the recorded program I have no time-shift buffer to go back to.
    MediaPortal is not able to keep the buffer while you watch a recording. The buffer is lost whenever you stop live TV. That includes when you start a playing videos, music, or recorded TV... or simply stop live TV.

Regards,
    mm

mserena

August 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    thanks for the response and the welcome mm.

bugger. is there anyway around that? just been reading about the ramdisk briefly, just my previous pvr (topfield) had that functionality and am used to it have a storage kept for timeshift. would ramdisk be anything to consider?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    is there anyway around that?
    No, none that I'm aware of. At least not with standard MP1/TVE 3.

just been reading about the ramdisk briefly, just my previous pvr (topfield) had that functionality and am used to it have a storage kept for timeshift. would ramdisk be anything to consider?
    It is not an issue of storage. Rather, it is about MP's player limitations and tuner management.

By player limitations I mean that MP1 can only play one thing at once. That means if you start playing a recording, live TV has to stop. You can't pause one thing while you watch something else. MP will remember your place if you stop a recording or video... but that isn't the same as keeping it cued. This limitation is also the reason why there is no PiP (picture-in-picture) support.

As for tuner management: TV Server doesn't currently have the capability to keep timeshifting running if you stop live TV.

You might find the "placeshifting" feature in this custom build can sort of give you what you want:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/regeszters-mepo-local-development.121967/

No guarantees though.

mserena

August 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    ok. well that's cleared that up.
    If he has used branches from 1.9, is it possible that this feature will be intergrated some time in the future? I'll give that version a go. See how stable it is.

Thanks for the link and clarification. Also, where else can i read up about TVE3 + TVE3.5

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If he has used branches from 1.9, is it possible that this feature will be intergrated some time in the future?
    Possible, yes. However TVE 3.5 has a similar feature called "parking". In the end only "parking" or "placeshifting" will be included since they both do much the same thing.

Also, where else can i read up about TVE3 + TVE3.5
    At the moment there's no one-stop-shop for information about TVE 3.5 or the differences between TVE 3 and 3.5. TVE 3.5 is still very much a work in progress. As such a lot of things are subject to change (even on a daily basis) or not yet known. It doesn't make sense to expend a whole lot of effort documenting stuff until things settle down a bit more.

Best advice I can give...
    If you want to know about the current state of TVE 3.5, try it [with MP2]:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...mp2-tv-updated-for-10th-ae-2014-04-26.114068/

(MP2 "Native TV" = TVE 3.5 running as a plugin in MP2 Server)

The above can be installed alongside MP1/TVE 3, though you can only actively run/use either TVE 3 or TVE 3.5 at any given time (because tuners can only be controlled by one application at a time).

Beyond that I'd be happy to try to answer any specific questions you have, as long as it wouldn't require me to write a novel.

Clear as mud? :)

mserena

August 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    hehe. perfect. I guess I'll have a few things to play around with this weekend. I'll try MP2 first then see how the custom regeszters dev version goes.
    thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom