Ongoing Whole house technology solution (1 Viewer)

MikeKulls

Portal Member
December 26, 2011
Home Country
You are absolutely right this is not a power saver. With the RAID controller and ESXi set to maximum power saving it takes around 80watt in low / idle load scenarios. With high load on the RAID it goes up to ~140watt.

However, I already had the ESX server running in addition to the TV Server. So moving the TV Server to my ESXi server did reduce my power consumption :D

That could be a good solution in your scenario. However I chose Media Portal due to the Server / frontend function. This way all PCs / media centres in the house can access it, I can access it remote on my iPAD and phone via VPN

Have you tried shutting down all other VMs? Or you could try playing around with Resource Pools.

I completely agree. For me the ESX was a way of reducing the amount of hardware. Initially I came from a NAS, a firewall, a TV Server, a Domain Controller, a SSL VPN box and a test PC, all that is now running on the ESX. On this hardware I currently run 8 computers and I have spare capacity.
An added bonus is the snapshot functionality. Whenever a MS Windows or Media Portal updated comes out, I can just take a snapshot before the update is applied. And should something go wrong I have an easy way back:)
[/Quote]

80 to 140W isn't as bad as I expected, I'd rate you at 2 freezers :). Currently I use 105 to 140watts for my server but this includes the switch, modem, micro server and a rather inefficient UPS. With regards the UPS I just worked out today via google that a big UPS with a small load will be inefficent. I am looking at getting a smaller UPS. I'm interested to know about the power saving features of ESXI. Can you save power without putting it to sleep?

With regards the HDHomeRun I really don't want to run just that, the reason I got it is because I don't have VT-d and USB passthrough didn't work so the only option is network. Basically I want to run it the way yours is running.

I will try a few other things with ESXi to see what I can achieve. It might very well be possible although there have been a few people in this thread who haven't been able to get it to work with better hardware than mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom