Why are some live TV plugins located on the client and not on the TVserver? (1 Viewer)

lodale

Portal Pro
April 9, 2009
Home Country
Norway Norway
Hi a question, why are plugins like TV/radio logos made for clients and not for server?

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Are you talking about LogoManager plugin or what?
    Since Logo files are stored on client in Mediaportal TV Engine This plugin is operating on client.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Logos could be delivered from the server and cached on the client. Personally I would prefer this architecture.

In my opinion a better reason to have the logo plugin on the client side is that the client's "style" (skin etc.) may vary. Different style logos are needed for different style skins. This is something that is more difficult to handle for a server-side plugin. It isn't impossible to handle... but I did not design/create the logo manager plugin.

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    My opinion is that a server delivers information of what is accessible, not what could be accessible. Therefor logos (both TV and radio) belong to the server not the client.
    Not a big thing, but the architecture should be correct

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    My opinion is that downloading logos from server is unnessesary use of bandwith that could interfere tv vieving

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    My opinion is that downloading logos from server is unnessesary use of bandwith that could interfere tv vieving
    There are design trade-offs with both approaches. This consequence seems very unlikely, especially if the download is handled properly (ie. in an asynchronous background thread with lowest possible priority). On the other hand, a certain consequence of having the plugin on the client side is that it must be installed and configured for each client installation. :(

You are one of the plugin developers, so you get to make the choices. Hopefully you consider the opinions of other people such as lodale... :)

[edit: I would also add that recording thumbnails are stored on the server and cached on each client. The same approach could be applied for logos... if you wanted it.]

Users who are viewing this thread