Win 10 - MePo 1.15 - Config start Crash (1 Viewer)

xPETEZx

Portal Member
August 6, 2010
Home Country
England England
Hey Guys,

Been a long time user of Media Portal, and largely problem free.

Today I have been stumped by the simplest of things. I installed a new client-only install of MePo 1.15.
When I try and launch it, it tries to start the config. I get the prompt for Standard or Expert mode, and regardless of which I pick, the configuration then crashes at "adding filters"

Worse, the process cant be terminated fully. The app closes, but in Task manager I can still see configuration and cannot terminate it. (Access denied)

I then cant try again, as it still running. Cant remove/uninstall MP either. I have to reboot the system to get another go.

I first tried with MP 1.13, same problem. Then a fresh download of MP 1.15.

I am using the LAV filters as installed as part of the installation.

I have tried 2x re-installs of 1.15 after first selecting a complete removal of everything MP.

Same result.

There seems to be nothing in the logs. It just ends at :[Config ] [Config Main] [INFO ] - add Video codec section
In the error log there is nothing.

I have attached them anyway. Appreciate any help.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Could you please use the Watchdog (option 3) to collect logs? This will also create summaries of the Windows event manager, which will hopefully show more.

The way your describe things point to an access right issue. That should be visible in the event log.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Forgive me, but I am not comfortable exporting entire extracts of my event viewer to a public forum.
    There are many events in there which do disclose identifiable information.
    You do as you like - however, please understand that, speaking for myself, I am not willing to invest my personal time requesting information that is then supplied drop by drop.

xPETEZx

Portal Member
    August 6, 2010
    Home Country
    England England
    Appreciate that. But you must understand this is a public forum. Anybody can potentially download the logs placed here.
    When they are specific to a single application, I have no problem with that.
    When they pertain to my entire system, and therefore include information that is personally identifiable, I would sooner not post that in public.

To your earlier point about this potentially being about access, I imagine you mention that due to the error when trying to terminate the configuration.exe process?
    I am a local admin of the machine.

Even using something like process hacker or taskkill does not allow me to terminate the stuck process.
    It does end up in a suspended state for some reason.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The Windows event log contains no personal information.

You just disclosed your own full name in a much more public way by posting a full citation of the event log whereas the report generated by MP is an abbreviated Excel table. If you think that your event log contains confidential informaton, I recommend you stop using computers as this information is constantly transferred to Microsoft.

I know that the fact that one is paranoid does not mean that nobody would be after him. But seriously, if you ant help, you have to follow some rules, part of which is to provide a complete picture of the situation. Users often think they know where the problem is and provide selective information - something which in the end is only costing a lot of effort and time, both being valuable resources that I am not willing to waste.

In essence: Provide full logs and thre will always people willing to help you. Or don't.

That's my view and all the best for resolving your issue.

xPETEZx

Portal Member
    August 6, 2010
    Home Country
    England England
    I fully appreciate that this product is provided completely for free, and so is this forum and those who choose to help others like me.

However, that is no reason to respond as if nobody else has a clue.

There is a big difference with Microsoft having my information, and it being in the public domain.

Just a quick search for my e-mail address for example through the Excel sheet generated by Watchdog revealed countless entries for it.
    Due to an error with a .pst file Outlook tried to open.
    So please don't state that the Windows event log contains no personal information. It absolutely can. You have no idea what applications people can run on there machines, or what they write to the event log.

Like I said at the top, I fully understand this product and those who help is provided entirely for free.
    As a constructive criticism, dont assume every poster is a fool who has no knowledge of computers past double clicking. Appreciate you probably deal with countless topics of this nature and have found that asking for information is not worth your time. Users don't know / lie / misunderstand so the quickest way for you has been to request all logs.

The event log entries I posted did reveal my name. That information alone is not uniquely identifiable or contactable like an E-mail address or other information.
    Never the less, as it is deemed to be of no use I have edited and removed the information from my previous post.

Anyway, all this has gone way past the purpose of this topic, and is not entirely useful.

I will leave the topic in-place while I attempt to resolve this issue. If I do, I will be sure to update this topic should anybody else run into the same problem.
    If I dont, it can be deleted.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

xPETEZx

Portal Member
    August 6, 2010
    Home Country
    England England
    @xPETEZx
    Considering the circumstances but without access to log files, I can only guess that the issue is related to DirectShow codecs or renderers. Perhaps some broken registrations. You might try running FilMerit or similar to check for errors. A forum search may also be instructive. For example, this thread came up near the top of the results:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/adding-filter-section-configuration-freeze.134568/

...so do you use DisplayLink?

THANK YOU!

I think you have probably helped me fix every one of my 'problems'.

I didnt search the forum directly, but did google the issue and found various topics on this forum with similar problems, but never the same.
    How I missed that topic I dont know. :(

Anyway, yes. I do have a displayLink device attached. I didnt have much time to test yesterday, but It was on my list. This thing causes more problems than its worth.

I can confirm that disabling just the audio portion of it has resolved my issue.

Once again. Thank you. Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom