Win 8.1 not waking up for recordings/epg grab (1 Viewer)

matjam

Portal Member
September 11, 2009
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can help me with a really infuriating problem.

I've moved over to Windows 8.1 (from xp) and am running MP 1.7.

My MP PC just won't wake up for recordings or to grap the EPG.
I've enabled and configured the PowerScheduler plug-in to wake the PC at 4am every day to grab the epg.
If I schedule a future recording I can see it appears in the the database, but the PC just never wakes up for it.

The exact same hardware worked fine with Win XP.

I'm sure it's some simple configuration I've not done, either in Windows or MP but I can't see where!

Please help as I mainly use MP for recording TV!

Cheers,
Matt

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

Clean your log -> go to standby etc. and post your log to try to see what happen :)

matjam

Portal Member
    September 11, 2009
    Hi,
    Hopefully the attached logs will show something.

Here's the timeline of what I did when gathering these logs:

10:20 - Cleared out the log directory. Did a complete shutdown and power-off. Disconnected PC from mains.
    Powered up the PC
    10:26 - Started MediaPortal
    10:28 - Viewed the channel 'BBC One HD' to check that TV service etc was all working ok. It was. Stopped TV picture.
    Scheduled a future recording of 'Wanted Down Under' on 'BBC One HD'. Programme is 11:00 - 11:45.
    Checked Scheduled Recordings and it's in the list.
    10:30 - Exit MP and leave PC at the Desktop. Settings are to go to sleep after 3 minutes.
    10:33 - PC enters sleep as per settings.
    Programme pre- and post-record times are set to 3 minutes each.
    Also the pre-wakeup time is set to 60 seconds.

PC didn't wake up.

22:08 - Manually woke PC by moving mouse
    22:08 - Started MP
    22:10 - Checked Scheduled Recordings and Recorded TV. Programme is not in either.
    22:11 - Close MP and zip up logs.

Any help would be massively appreciated as, at the moment, the only way I have of recording future programmes is to leave the PC on.

In case I've not mentioned it, or it's not in my specs, this is a single seat configuration.

Cheers,
    Matt

Attachments

• matjam.zip
      32 KB

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Try to set log to debug in config :)

I'm not an expert and also because on my side i have a server running 24/7 where my TV card are.

But in your log, it seems that nothing are related to TVService / TV Server.

Maybe @michael_t can help and also you can try to look at PS++ wiki and maybe also on TVServer wiki for help.

But enable debug log and retry again thanks :)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Log for TVServer is located here : "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\log"

upload_2014-8-18_18-19-32.png

upload_2014-8-18_18-19-55.png

matjam

Portal Member
    September 11, 2009
    Thanks for your help Sebastiii.
    The more I think about this, the more I think it's a Windows 8/Hardware/bios problem.
    If I run 'powercfg /waketimers' from an elevated command prompt I can see that the TV service is scheduled at the correct time.

I also created a test scheduled task, simply to run notepad at a specific time, with wake the pc set.
    This also appeared in the waketimers list.
    However the PC didn't wake for this task either.

I tried disabling hybrid sleep, but then my PC didn't enter sleep mode properly - it just seemed to hang on the way down.

I'll do some more googling, but if anyone has any other ideas for me to check I'm all ears!

Cheers,
    Matt

doogle

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Hey Matt. Your issue sounds identical to mine. I ran MP & XP for many years with no wake issues. I've tried lots of things and I tend to agree it is a windows / hardware / bios issue. I updated my chipset drivers as recommended by MSI Live Update, which also says my bios is fine, although I wonder about this as I've pretty much exhausted everything else. Did you ever find a solution?

PS: just to add, sometimes I get a [DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller which stops the PC from going to standby, but I get around this by having Powerscheduler control sleep/wake.

matjam

Portal Member
    September 11, 2009
    Hi doogle
    No, I never did find a solution. Well the solution I have executed is to go back to XP!

I have also tried a different, newer motherboard running an AMD cpu.
    The only similarities were my graphics card (ATI), and my satellite tuner (TBS).

I have no idea what's causing the issue but have reverted back to xp as it's been rock solid for me.

Let me know if you ever find a solution.

doogle

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Thanks for your reply. As a matter of interest, did you get the [DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller issue. This is my only lead at the moment, but it could be a red herring, as it only seems to appear after a couple of sleep/wake cycles (where the wake is caused by mouse/keyboard/power button). Or else a setting in the BIOS, although my power management options in BIOS are limited - in this area I was wondering if the sleep mode could be changed to S1 or S2, instead of S3 but I'm not seeing any useful options in BIOS

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom