Windows 10 - rare directx startup issues (1 Viewer)

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks, didn't know that as I normally stick with the pro versions which don't have any limited functionality :)

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @mm1352000 issue has resurfaced with the same error in log, seems to be SLI related as that was turned back on yesterday because during driver updates Nvidia apparently had reset that.
    Maybe it's trying to attach to the wrong graphics card now and again, even tried setting it to single GPU for the Mediaportal.exe process in the Nvidia control panel settings but didn't fix it :(

// UPDATE

And now it keeps on working...damn Windows 10 is the most weird / buggy Windows release I've ever seen.

Even suspend has a mind of its own when it comes to turning on USB devices back on (90% of the time it works) so will just punch thru and hope Microsoft gets their shit together :p

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Honestly I have no idea. I'm not a D3D/DirectX expert. All I can see is what the logs say:
    [collapse]
    [2015-08-30 12:37:35,699] [Log ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - Exception: Error in the application.
    -2005530516 (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.Reset(PresentParameters[] presentationParameters)
    at MediaPortal.D3D.CreateDirectX9ExDevice()
    at MediaPortal.D3D.InitializeDevice()
    at MediaPortal.D3D.Init()
    at MediaPortalApp.Main(String[] args) Message: Error in the application. Site : Void Reset(Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.PresentParameters[]) Source : Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D Stack Trace: at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.Reset(PresentParameters[] presentationParameters)
    at MediaPortalApp.Main(String[] args)
    [2015-08-30 12:37:35,710] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - MediaPortal stopped due to an exception Error in the application. Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.Reset(PresentParameters[] presentationParameters)
    at MediaPortalApp.Main(String[] args)[/collapse]

In my experience, such errors are mostly seen in relation to GPU driver issues and with hardware that does not support MediaPortal minimum DirectX requirements.

Maybe it's trying to attach to the wrong graphics card now and again...
    I don't know if that is even possible.

You can see from the log that MP selected:
    [2015-08-30 12:37:31,028] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - D3D: GPU 'NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970' is using driver version '10.18.13.5560'

If your cards are identical then there's no way to know if this is the wrong card... but again, I don't know if it is even possible to select the wrong card.

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    SLI can give issues for certain games at least but yeah it would have been consistent as its always card #1 or #2 where #1 has the HDMI connection in this case (both identical GTX970s), not sure why its random but it did return after enabling SLI again however after restarting Mediaportal a few times for testing today it remained functional every time.

Think this one is gonna hard to troubleshoot as it's probably happening in something low-level, Windows 8.1 did consistently run fine with SLI at least so can add this to the list of things that is wrong with Windows 10 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom