thekiwi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi all

Have got TVe3 installed on Win2K and it will be standalone server (possibly using it for other in house services as well). Everything is installed OK.

What are the downsides of using Win2K as opposed to WinXP or Windows 2003 server for the TVe3?

Im guessing that since it will just have hard drives and TV Cards (PVR 150 MCE and Skystar2) it should perform OK?

What would the advantages be of upgrading to Windows 2003 server?

Rhys.Goodwin

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't know but I doubt there would be any advantages in going with 2k3 xp or Windows 2000 server (As aposed to Windows 2000 PRO) I Think TV2 relies on windows XP (somthing to do with the file writer or something??) But TV3 should sould be ok with win 2k, somone correct me if I'm wrong?
    Mind you xp is nicer and is more supported :)

thekiwi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Rhys
    SOrry, should have been a little more exact in my post. Currently got TVe3 on Windows 200 Advanced Server, along with SQL 2000.

Will have WinXp for the client, but since Ive already got SBS2000 running already, I might shift some things off that (eg might place VMWare on the media box so that I can have Linux running my Mail server... this is currently happening on the SBS2000 box)

On an aside, Got a Hauppauge PVR150MCR. From what I can tell, even tho' Hauppauge say its only for MCE or Widows XP, it should work OK under Windows2000 Adv Server:
    http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1931
    All about the "MCE" models:

* MCE models add an FM tuner, and direct Right/Left RCA audio inputs (for input from a set-top box). The cards remove the Hauppuage remote input as it is assumed to be used in a Media Center PC which has its' own remote design.
    * The MCE models of the PVR-x50 cards are identical to the standard retail versions as far as PVR applications are concerned.
    * MCE models are compatible with any OS the retail boxed versions are.
    * The MCE certified drivers also work in any version of Windows XP or 2000, and support all PVR-x50 models, Retail and MCE versions.
    * The MCE certified drivers are typically more often then the retail style drivers.
    * Hauppauge also usually updates their general drivers to support MCE varients under the same driver as the retail boxed.

Be adding in teh SkyStar2 soon as well. Cool :)

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    I run server2003 but I don't think there is any great compatibility advantage over 2000. by the way, I had tve2 running and now i have tve3 running both on win2k3, so it can work with either. The only reason I think you should upgrade is if it does something else useful better, I like that i can remote desktop in while somebody is still watching TV and I couldn't do that on xp (I think 2000 is the same as 2003 in that aspect but there may be something else)

thekiwi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I run server2003 but I don't think there is any great compatibility advantage over 2000. by the way, I had tve2 running and now i have tve3 running both on win2k3, so it can work with either. The only reason I think you should upgrade is if it does something else useful better, I like that i can remote desktop in while somebody is still watching TV and I couldn't do that on xp (I think 2000 is the same as 2003 in that aspect but there may be something else)
    Excellant thanks fir that.
    Yea, under Win2K Server I can remote desktop in and maintain he box. Handy when its going to be stuck away in a Server room :p

thekiwi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi.

How do I get the MCE remote and keyboard to work in Win 2003 ?

You dont have any further information? Presume you are running TVe3 and the client? What version(s)?
    What have you tried so far?

Rhys.Goodwin

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    In most cases Windows 2003 Server is much moore like XP Pro that it is like Winodws 2000. I can't see any reason why you'd run Windows 2003 as a front end MP client. Do you need active directory? how about a DNS or DHCP server? Either way if you are going to use the MCE keyboard and remote you need to get this update
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=912024
    it says it's for Media Center Edition 2005 but it installs fine on Xp, don't know about 2k3. Probably will work other wise you can probably just extract the files and copy them to the correct locations anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom