Operating System Windows 7 & half fullscreen (2 Viewers)

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    There is a solution to this that doesn't require any hardware modifications.

1) Install VNC server on your HTPC.
    2) Turn off receiver, this should drop resolution when computer detects it.
    3) VNC into server from second computer with receiver still off.
    4) Change resolution to match Primary monitor/TV resolution.

This should keep the computer from changing resolutions (and thus shrinking the MP window) when you get power on/off cycles.

This didn't work for me. When you say:
    2) Turn off receiver, this should drop resolution when computer detects it.
    Do you mean turn off the attached TV or monitor?
    When I do that and VNC in, the monitor and it's screen resolution still appear (see screenshot).
    What else can I try (other than HW mods)?

Attachments

• ScreenRes.png
      ScreenRes.png
      107.8 KB

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    All,

I managed to fix this problem using this solution: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/722763-post222.html

However, since many are still having problems, I was wondering if another approach might work. I have been having problems with my AMD HD Audio not working after revocering from standby, so I have been playing about with the devcon.exe (commandline control of the Device Manager). Basically I have used devcon to disable the audio device and then enable the device, which works nicely to clear the fault. I was wondering if this technique could be used to disable and re-enable the display device upon resume to force the graphic adaptor to pick up the display config a couple of seconds after resume? I haven't tried it, but I was wondering if it might be worth others trying to see if it helps.

If you download devcon.exe and put it on the root of C:

From command prompt at C:\ you type
    Code:
    devcon find *>list.txt
    it will create a list of all your devices in the file list.txt on the root of c:. You can find your graphics hardware in this list. You then need to make reference to that device, which can be done by finding a unique of the device ID string and then testing to make sure it is unique by typing:

Code:
    devcon find*VEN_2A43
    (where VIA_2A43 is part of the string). If it returns only one device (the one you want), then you have found a unique string to work with.

You then need to write a batch file that simply contains:

Code:
    devcon *VEN_2A43 disable
    devcon *VEN_2A43 enable

This will effectively restart the device. See this guide if my instructions aren't clear: Enable/Disable a device from command line using Devcon in Windows 7

I then use a little utility to run this batch file upon recovery from standby, however, I am at work at the moment and can't remember what it is called. If you are running a server or single seat system, you should be able to get powerscheduler to do this. I will post the link tonight.

Let me know if it helps

Praz

Portal Member
    October 18, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    When I do that and VNC in, the monitor and it's screen resolution still appear (see screenshot).
    Hi rsbrux

Your problem seems the same as what I faced. With my system I found the resolution changed incorrectly when the display was powered back up not when it was shut down/disconnected. I tried every posted solution I could find plus a couple that I had never seen posted. The results were always the same. They didn't work at all, they worked inconsistently or other issues would appear because of the attempted fix.

The only solution I found that was a complete fix on my system without spending money was to let the system go to sleep. The display can be powered down/disconnected before or after the system enters the sleep state. As long as the display is made active again before the system is woke up from sleep I never saw a resolution switching problem.

This was not the complete fix I was looking for though so I bought the HDMI Detective Plus. Now that it is all said and done I wish I would have went this route in the very beginning. Everything works perfect and there has not been a single issue because of the Detective Plus being installed.

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    This was not the complete fix I was looking for though so I bought the HDMI Detective Plus. Now that it is all said and done I wish I would have went this route in the very beginning. Everything works perfect and there has not been a single issue because of the Detective Plus being installed.

Thanks for the tip, Praz. Since I was planning to buy a new video card anyway, and the HDMI Detective Plus seems to be more expensive than the video card, I want to first see if the symptom persists with the new video card. I plan to replace my ATI Radeon HD3450 with an nVidia GT430, and I noticed that those reporting problems seem to have ATIs.

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Thanks for the tip, Praz. Since I was planning to buy a new video card anyway, and the HDMI Detective Plus seems to be more expensive than the video card, I want to first see if the symptom persists with the new video card. I plan to replace my ATI Radeon HD3450 with an nVidia GT430, and I noticed that those reporting problems seem to have ATIs.

I can confirm that it is also a nvidia problem. But I also have a hdmi detective, and this works great with my ati card. It gave some small issues with my nvidia card so I am glad I got rid of it and got me an ati card.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    This is where the above solution was a problem for me too (I am using the latest version of Catalyst). To get round it, I modified the procedure to the following:

1. Install RealVNC or TightVNC and establish a remote connection to your HTPC.
    2. Remove your HDMI cable from your display.
    3. Your resolution should now change to 800x600 (you might drop VNC connection, but if you do then it should re-connect).
    4. Using VNC, right click on the desktop and select the Screen Resolution option (not in CCC), then configure the screen to the maximum available (1600x...).
    5. Start your CCC (Catalyst Control Center).
    6. Go to the resolution settings in CCC and the option to set higher than 1600x... should now be available.
    7. Set the required resolution and then apply and close CCC (note, for some reason 1080i 30 hz was the max available refresh in this config, but since I don't care if it is 1080 interlaced or progressive, or what the refresh rate is (for this transient never-used case) I just select anything reasonable)
    8. Reinsert the HDMI cable and test the system.
    Since I don't have CCC installed, I modified this as follows:
    5. Click on "Advanced Settings".
    6. Go to the "Monitor" tab in the resulting dialog box.
    7. Remove the checkmark from "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" and click "Apply".
    8. Go back to the "Adapter" tab and click "List all modes".
    9. Select the desired mode and click OK to close the modes list.
    10. Click "OK" to close the "Advanced Settings" dialog, then click "Yes" in the pop-up dialog to keep the new settings.
    11. Reinsert the HDMI cable and test the system.

Thanks, robbo100!

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I am glad that worked,

It seems that the option to unhide incompatible modes may be the step I missed from my instruction!

Has anyone tried the suggestion of disabling the driver and then re-enabling it?

Rob

bighick

Portal Pro
    July 6, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    My fix seems easier and has been working FLAWLESSLY and should work for everyone...have tested on 3 machines.
    This is for people with receivers
    Run HDMI from HTPC -> Receiver
    Run HDMI (with DVI to HDMI) to TV
    Set scaling on both displays, set clone mode.
    I can turn off the tv or receiver or both and have had 0 issues in about 2 weeks. It is basically the same thing people with 3D do until they buy a receiver with HDMI 1.4 on it.
    I also disable every audio output except for HDMI...don't know if it matters but I have been doing it on every machine since I have been using HDMI.

xvffx

Portal Pro
    August 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    OK, I have not read all 26 pages of this thread, but I did spend some SERIOUS time on this today and found a solution that worked for me. It is a regedit!!!!

in the reg, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

Under there, I had three subtrees. this is where the control of what to do in certain instances are set. I found that I needed to change ALL entries under all subtrees to match what I wanted my hard coded resoultion to be set to.

under all the subtrees you will keep digging to find the following...
    PrimSurfSize.cx
    PrimSurfSize.cy
    ActiveSize.cx
    ActiveSize.cy

I set the .cx to 1920 and the .cy to 1080. Problem solved for me for now. The PrinSurfSize entries are under a "00" subtree, and the ActiveSize is under a "00" subtree UNDER the 00 subtree.

so you need to look in..
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\xxx\00\00
    ("xxx" gets replaced by what ever entries are under the Configuration tree)

I hope this helps and is not a repost of info someone else put up. like I said, I didn't read the entire 26 pages, but did read a lot of it and did not see this yet.

It has worked for me. going to go to my in-laws house and set his settings tomorrow. keeping my fingers crossed.

I didn't read all 70? pages but this worked great. (this is only day one and see how it go later on)

thanks Mlburgoon

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom