Windows 8: Does your installation have an MS DVD Navigator? (1 Viewer)

Do you have the MS DVD Navigator (qdvd.dll) on your Windows 8 PC

• Yes - Windows 8 install not mentioned here (please reply with details)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - Please reply with the details of your installation

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The DVD Navigator exists in ALL Win8 Versions.

Doesn't matter if you installed Media Center Add On or not. There is just no DVD Player Software included using these components. But all the stuff is present on the system as it was in Win7.

Might be that some of the filters are not automatically registered though (haven't checked that). But even the mpeg filters are present on the system itself on any of my MSDN versions.

Rule of thumb: It works on Enterprise = It works everywhere. As the Enterprise version isn't officially capable of adding the Media Center (at least last time I checked).

This was already discussed in various threads as soon as the MSDN release came out... Win8 just doesn't come with a DVD Player Application out of the box. That's all. The required components are still on the system.

This is because MS doesn't want to break other software as it seems - especially after the unfounded huge press shit-storm.

So the included everything minus the application (that is officially discontinued as the project team was dismantled) which they then offerred as a free add on for sometime before it costs money. Uuntil then everybody should have figured it out that the thing is a no issue.

If something is broken in MP on Win8 in regards to DVD playback it's not because of missing some"system components" compared to Win7.

Hi Scythe - that was exactly what I thought and I wanted to prove using this thread: all Win 8 Version do have everything MP needs to play DVDs, no matter if upgrade or not. There are so many people constantly quoting MS press releases (also from the team) and I wanted to finish this discussion.

rogerdpack

November 9, 2016
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    FWIW on windows 10 I have qdvd.dll, and after installing MPC-HC and using directshow spy, it seemed to show it using what I believe to be a "normal" dvd navigator graph (but with its own video decoder for the mpeg2video decoding however, i.e. windows 10 has no built-in decoding filter for that). I also have other things installed though so not sure how much is needed for a working player, and I haven't looked into it further. But surprised me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom