Mainboards / CPU / RAM (7 Viewers)

Discussions about Mainboards, CPU, RAM and their drivers in here
A
MP1 MP2 RAM Usage DE
dualchannel 1-2% ? i think 10-20%
dualchannel 1-2% ? i think 10-20%
Hi there, what do you think, how much MB of RAM do I need for Mediaportal and a constantly running Emule or Bittorrent...
Replies
Views
Anonymous
A
A
innersky I was very unhappy with the poor TV-out on my graphics card Sapphire Atlantis 9200SE. High contrasts (i.e. white on black etc.) resulted in colourful artefacts at the edges like a pearly necklace. Because of the obviously different results with homemade solutions, as I read here, I bought this device...
innersky I was very unhappy with the poor TV-out on my graphics card Sapphire Atlantis 9200SE. High contrasts (i.e. white on black...
Hi there, I was looking for a motherboard which support either the Athlon 64 chips or P4 chips.. I haven't bought my chip yet so...
Replies
Views
K
MP1 MP2 CPU DE
WishyWashy's suggestion to go for a Thunderbird 1.4Ghz is not such a good choice, since that is one of the most heat producing AMD cores. :o 1.4 Ghz should suffice though
WishyWashy's suggestion to go for a Thunderbird 1.4Ghz is not such a good choice, since that is one of the most heat producing AMD...
Which CPU is recommend for MP? I am thinking about a Athlon 64. Or is the performance of a AMD Semperon god enough for MP?
Replies
Views
One more question: From the AMD technical paper: ALL the Athlon 64 with the same core do have the same lowest state power consumption (22W) and the same highest state consumption of 89W. So that means that my 2800+ uses 89W @ 1800Mhz. If I look at a 3200+ which has a higher max state and in addition has several...
One more question: From the AMD technical paper: ALL the Athlon 64 with the same core do have the same lowest state power...
What CPU fits best with a HTPC (specially Media Portal)?! I am going to buy a new AMD board and struggling between the many...
Replies
Views
Marcus, I saw your post above about your Albatron motherboard. I was thinking of getting this exact MB because of it's onboard TV Out to keep initial costs down. My HTPC would only be used for watching/recording and playback to SD digital tv using just the TV Out port. For DVD movie playback I'd just stick to using my regular...
Marcus, I saw your post above about your Albatron motherboard. I was thinking of getting this exact MB because of it's onboard TV...
Hi I am going to build an new htpc. I already have samsung hd hauppauge 150 saphire radeon 256 mb samsung dvd player...
Replies
Views
scottb721
S
Just remember guys, if you get the A8N-VM CSM you have to get the optional PCI riser card. The case is provided with an AGP/PCI riser, but the motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot!!!!
Just remember guys, if you get the A8N-VM CSM you have to get the optional PCI riser card. The case is provided with an AGP/PCI...
Can this mobo do in a HTPC? I'm thinking about graphics/audio Case:Silverstone LC04. Any sugest for speed of CPU, it must run...
Replies
Views
I got the video bracket with the package and the S-Video is fine S/P-dif bracket wasn't included so I'm building my own /BigAl
I got the video bracket with the package and the S-Video is fine S/P-dif bracket wasn't included so I'm building my own /BigAl
I live in sweden and it hasn't arrived any cards yet!! do someone know a seller in europe that shipps to sweden, has it in stock...
Replies
Views
ECS do a socket 754 version of the RS482 chipset, that could well be a good choice for you. Its has the features you require + the onboard DX9 capable graphics, would be more than enough for your media portal needs. :wink...
ECS do a socket 754 version of the RS482 chipset, that could well be a good choice for you. Its has the features you require + the...
Hi I am looking for a good m-atx board. The following is important Spdif good standby function socket a or 754 (AMDbased)...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 What CPU? DE
Well, I'm running a Tul socket 754 board with a Sempron 2600+ CPU, 64 bit support and high def audio. It works just fine. Cost for both was about $110 US with shipping. These semprons overclock really well too. What I saved on the board and CPU I used to buy an X1300 card for graphics. I bought it refurbished for $66 with...
Well, I'm running a Tul socket 754 board with a Sempron 2600+ CPU, 64 bit support and high def audio. It works just fine. Cost...
I have no idea where to begin looking for a CPU for my HTPC. I want to use the HTPC mainly for watching and recording TV and...
Replies
Views
AMD Thanks this gone slve everything Cheers
AMD Thanks this gone slve everything Cheers
I have always used Intel cpu and gone build a new test computer and want to try AMD this time.. Need help to select the right...
Replies
Views
I'm thinking the new DFI board isn't shipping yet. At least none of the sources I checked have it yet. I've been buying DFI boards for at least 10 years. Long before they added the flashy stuff and became so expensive. They have always been very reliable and stable. Only one died and that's because the power supply killed it...
I'm thinking the new DFI board isn't shipping yet. At least none of the sources I checked have it yet. I've been buying DFI...
Hi, I've been doing a lot of research on a motherboard to use for a HTPC, and I really like the nForce430 motherboards with...
Replies
Views
Do you mean the MSI RS482M-IL? Where are you located? In North America there are a couple models available: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130526 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130520
Do you mean the MSI RS482M-IL? Where are you located? In North America there are a couple models available...
Been reading for a couple weeks and wanted to get your thoughts on selecting a motherboard for a HTPC. The role of the HTPC will...
Replies
Views
I also use the Enlight case with a Asus A8n-vm-csm (AMD) motherboard and think it's ok for the price. The included p/s is pretty quiet but the fans was a bit noisy so I added a Zalman Fanmate 2 to lower the speed. There is a review here: http://www.caseclosed.co.uk/review_enlight_7473.htm
I also use the Enlight case with a Asus A8n-vm-csm (AMD) motherboard and think it's ok for the price. The included p/s is pretty...
Hello, I have now oficially chunked my Shuttle ST62k, because it would not wake up from hibernate/standby when a recording was...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 CPU choice DE
Remember that Intel CPU in general uses more power than AMD (hence develpo more heat -> more noise), and that AMD has Cool 'n Quiet functions. My rec.: Budget: Sempron w/CnQ (s754) Main: AMD64 3000+/3200+ (s939) perf. on a nForce 430 mobo (w/6150GFX) To much money: PentiumM My main rec. in bold text.
Remember that Intel CPU in general uses more power than AMD (hence develpo more heat -> more noise), and that AMD has Cool 'n Quiet...
well I am currently running media portal on a AMD sempron 2400 (pretty old). I am only using it for eveything but live tv so...
Replies
Views
I use geeks for their occasionally good sale items, I bought a USB to IDE adapter there for 10 dollars a couple of months ago, included a psu too. But for major items I prefer Newegg. They also have an extensive review system for most of their items and after reading a few of them you can quickly get the drift of other users...
I use geeks for their occasionally good sale items, I bought a USB to IDE adapter there for 10 dollars a couple of months ago...
This is the first HTPC i've ever built, It's gonna be a full sized computer. I need to know what motherboard/cpu I should get for...
Replies
Views
Try using RMClock. There are different profiles used by the program. Performance on Demand is Cool 'n' Quiet. Then you can select a Performance/Power Saving Preference. Setting this to Power Saving Level 4 could perhaps help to avoid your spiking problem. Current official version of RMClock is 2.05. In the Forum you will find...
Try using RMClock. There are different profiles used by the program. Performance on Demand is Cool 'n' Quiet. Then you can...
I saw 0.2RC4 spiking.. at least when recording a movie. When I tried to setup CrystalCPU to benefit from Cool and Quite I have...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 Choice of CPU... DE
Hmmm, not being rude, but the mobo (being cheap as in inexpensive) has proven itself to be quite reliable and stable with a decent overclock.
Hmmm, not being rude, but the mobo (being cheap as in inexpensive) has proven itself to be quite reliable and stable with a decent...
Hey guys, I got lucky and bought an opteron 150 (2.4ghz, 1mb cache) for a fraction of its price (85$ US). Now, I started...
Replies
Views
I think that only applies if the disk uses the Image Constraint Token, which down samples the picture to 480i (or Standard Definition). At the moment the studios have backed away from ICT because of the number of people, especially in the US that have non-HDCP HiDef TVs.
I think that only applies if the disk uses the Image Constraint Token, which down samples the picture to 480i (or Standard...
I am about to start my second HTPC project, and was almost complete with chosing witch parts to use. The original conf. where a...
Replies
Views
As I said before, most probably Vista uses a different method. Something like a Level 2 page file. As I said before, these things have limited R/W times, so R/Wing ita few thousands times per day probably means they just have a few months to live. As I said before USB sticks are terribly slow. As I haven't said before (be I thought...
As I said before, most probably Vista uses a different method. Something like a Level 2 page file. As I said before, these things...
I'm considering upgrading my system (see specs on left side) from 512MB to 1GB, while there stillis DDR(1) on the marked (even if...
Replies
Views
Have you heard any news? I am done with a huge project now, so I'm at home and my fingers are itching. Gonna look at projectors tomorrow. :-)
Have you heard any news? I am done with a huge project now, so I'm at home and my fingers are itching. Gonna look at projectors...
Hi! Now when everyone recommends Intel (E6300) I wonder if you can give me a hint of a good motherboard with built-in graphics? I...
Replies
Views
The best thing to do is try putting in another graphics card, if the problem continues then its the mobo, if not its the graphics card. To me it does sound like a graphical issue, because if the mobo was at fault, it prolly wouldn't start up into windows. Trial and error my friend :)
The best thing to do is try putting in another graphics card, if the problem continues then its the mobo, if not its the graphics...
Hi Everyone, Busting my cherry with this one. I just got home from holsto discover a problem with my dedicated HTPC and i'm...
Replies
Views
I've had pretty good success with a DFI RS482 Infinity motherboard. It has pretty much everything onboard, but it also uses the ATI200 northbridge. My only complaints were that I had to up the voltage on memory to get it to be stable, and there is no hadware DXVA support so CPU is about 20%when decoding TV/DVD.
I've had pretty good success with a DFI RS482 Infinity motherboard. It has pretty much everything onboard, but it also uses the...
Hi there, I've been working on a htpc with MP since christmas... So far I have - an Antex Fusion cabinet - wich supports...
Replies
Views
I'm hopefully soon to upgrade my TV. Gonna go for a 32" LCD with HDMI input. Which seems to me to be a good excuse to upgrade the graphics on my HTPC. :D Currently running the onboard graphics of my MS-7093 motherboard. I've got my eye on a passive GeForce 7600 GS. Seems to tick all the boxes... until I looked at the...
I'm hopefully soon to upgrade my TV. Gonna go for a 32" LCD with HDMI input. Which seems to me to be a good excuse to upgrade the...
I'm hopefully soon to upgrade my TV. Gonna go for a 32" LCD with HDMI input. Which seems to me to be a good excuse to upgrade the...
Replies
Views
I'm using ABIT NF8 (nForce3) with AMD Sempron 3100 The cool'n'quiet is useful. I use rmclock. <http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml> and speedfan <http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php> On idle the cpu bumbles along at 1.2MHz and the CPU fan is reduced to something inaudible. Works for me. YMMV :) BigJ.
I'm using ABIT NF8 (nForce3) with AMD Sempron 3100 The cool'n'quiet is useful. I use rmclock...
can anyone recommend a good motherboard and processor combo that will provide a smooth and QUIET running HTPC? not too bothered...
Replies
Views
There is a multithreaded version of the xvid codec around, which uses all 4 cores on my Q6600 as does rmvb encoding.
There is a multithreaded version of the xvid codec around, which uses all 4 cores on my Q6600 as does rmvb encoding.
As the title says - dual core, or a faster single core? i.e. is MP or the any of the common codecs multithreaded, do they take...
Replies
Views
Its a wee bit old now but i built my HTPC with this board. Was running Windows Vista, and am Currently running Win7 with no issues. The Graphics chipset is plenty powerful enough to handle any HTPC work thrown at it, however it is let down by Ati Drivers which seem to be finicky with HDMI setup (once its going its fine, but getting...
Its a wee bit old now but i built my HTPC with this board. Was running Windows Vista, and am Currently running Win7 with no...
Albatron KI960-AM2
Replies
Views
What are you going to do for input? You'll need an encoder card to pull in at least one video signal. And with a lower end CPU like that you will need something with hardware encoding like a PVR-150. I started out like you with an older P4 2.4GHz machine. I knew I needed to spend the money on the encoder card($90). But once I...
What are you going to do for input? You'll need an encoder card to pull in at least one video signal. And with a lower end CPU...
I'm trying to build a media center with the old computer parts that I have, but I still need a decent CPU, and I don't know if my...
Replies
Views
Asus M2A-VM (HDMI) has a module that will output HD video and audio. For composite it uses an svideo to composite adapter. For audio it uses an S/PDIF connection. I'm sure that there are others out there that will be similar
Asus M2A-VM (HDMI) has a module that will output HD video and audio. For composite it uses an svideo to composite adapter. For...
I currently have a HTPC up and running for about a year now, but its build from old parts and feeling its age. I'm looking to...
Replies
Views
RGsB -> Sync On Green YUV / YPbPr -> Component or use S-video ->Y-C All of the above can be connected to Scart and are beter quality than Composite Video (Yellow Cinch) I'd go with S-Video or stay on DataLevel with VGA (RGBHV)
RGsB -> Sync On Green YUV / YPbPr -> Component or use S-video ->Y-C All of the above can be connected to Scart and are beter...
Hello, I'm in the process of building a 2U Media Server. Does anyone have a recommendation for a motherboard that supports...
Replies
Views
Anyone know anything about this board, company.... Thanks
Anyone know anything about this board, company.... Thanks
Not sure if this is in the right place or not.... Any thoughts on this mb/cpu combo? Phylon 7F2WE-1G2 Mini-ITX Mainboard...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom