Storage (3 Viewers)

Discussions about HDD, SSD, DVD, BluRay, etc., go in here
MP1 MP2 To NAS or not? (1 Viewer) DE
What would the best alternative be if this doesn't work fluidly?
What would the best alternative be if this doesn't work fluidly?
Recently my main SSD on my HTPC died, taking away the main OS and MP along with it. How I was using it was to store the media...
Replies
Views
You're right it's a lot of space, and it's more than I ever actually use. This is a dedicated HTPC with an SSD for the OS, MePo and plugins, and a few utilities, so it starts up, and resumes from S3 standby as quickly as possible. It also has a mechanical HDD for recordings and media files because I can't afford a 2GB SSD. This left...
You're right it's a lot of space, and it's more than I ever actually use. This is a dedicated HTPC with an SSD for the OS, MePo and...
Hello, currently I use a RAM Drive for TV Cache. Now I have an "old" SSD for which I have no use anylonger (and on eBay it does...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the input. I'll look into getting some higher quality power supplies, these seem pretty cheap. In fact, I bought the disks in the US and now live in Kazakhstan, so I wonder if the different power coming in might have an impact on these. Maybe if I can find some Euro/Asian standard supplies that will work with these...
Thanks for the input. I'll look into getting some higher quality power supplies, these seem pretty cheap. In fact, I bought the...
I recently moved my MP setup to a new laptop. As with my previous setup, media is stored on two external HDDs. Unlike with my...
Replies
Views
Still doing the same thing with the new drivers. Turns out it works in the rear USB3 ports, so presumably it's just the Intel controller that doesn't get on with that drive caddy, whereas the rear ASMedia-driven ports are OK. Another USB3 caddy I borrowed works on those ports, so it seems like it's just bad luck with that particular...
Still doing the same thing with the new drivers. Turns out it works in the rear USB3 ports, so presumably it's just the Intel...
Nothing to do with MediaPortal, but I've had no luck with googling so thought there's no harm in asking the folk here... My new...
Replies
Views
Yes, up to the maximum number of bays that the NAS has. To increase space further, you then have to replace smaller disks with bigger disks, or buy another NAS. With a drive pool, you simply need a free USB socket, and no disks have to be replaced. Example: if you purchased a two-bay NAS to contain your two 2TB disks, and you later...
Yes, up to the maximum number of bays that the NAS has. To increase space further, you then have to replace smaller disks with...
Can anyone give me any pointers on a new server i want to build. I recently networked our house with Cat5e cable as i want to build...
Replies
Views
Saw this zdnet.com article on facebook study of SSD reliability. This is for server class PCIe SSDs. Article gives info on failure modes seen on facebook server based systems. I've never tried flash/ssd based drives, don't have any hand's on experience/comments. Facebook's SSD findings: Failure, fatigue and the data center: SSDs...
Saw this zdnet.com article on facebook study of SSD reliability. This is for server class PCIe SSDs. Article gives info on failure...
Saw this zdnet.com article on facebook study of SSD reliability. This is for server class PCIe SSDs. Article gives info on failure...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
1Gbit/sec == 125MByte/sec. But the useful throughput will be less, because of the "house-keeping" that has to be done to manage the flow of data along the cable. Also, I don't know whether networking follows the disk convention (1G == 1000*1000*1000), or the RAM convention (1G == 1024*1024*1024). -- from CyberSimian in the UK
1Gbit/sec == 125MByte/sec. But the useful throughput will be less, because of the "house-keeping" that has to be done to manage...
Hello, i must buy 5 Disk for my NAS. This one is an Synology DS1512+, buy 2years ago, but never Powered ON. My first Model was...
Replies
Views
Hi. I like to introduce you the next step in the evolution of my PC- infrastructure. Maybe you remember the first step: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/my-powerful-htpc-in-a-drawer.127432/ You may noticed that I like and prefer unusual computer cases there already. This project takes this to the next level. More about it...
Hi. I like to introduce you the next step in the evolution of my PC- infrastructure. Maybe you remember the first step...
Hi. I like to introduce you the next step in the evolution of my PC- infrastructure. Maybe you remember the first step...
Replies
Views
The latter, due to spinning up and down. During spin up/down access to other drives seems to be blocked. So, if you are timeshifting with the recording HDD spun down, then a recording starts (which causes the recording HDD to spin up)... you might expect to see a pause and/or glitch while timeshifting. The former - different...
The latter, due to spinning up and down. During spin up/down access to other drives seems to be blocked. So, if you are...
Hi folks, i would like to hear your recommendations for a new HDD for my MP Server. Im running a multi-seat environment. The...
Replies
Views
Thanks @azzuro but that is exactly how I shared the drive, and as you can see in the article, Windows sees it as a 'network folder' and not an 'optical drive' when you access the share.
Thanks @azzuro but that is exactly how I shared the drive, and as you can see in the article, Windows sees it as a 'network folder'...
Hey everyone, I'm currently running a Gigabyte Brix as my HTPC with MP happily, and the only thing it's missing is a bluray player...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 New 4tb Hard disk DE
I need some help with this upgrade. I'mlooking to buy this Hard disk: http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/348717/wd-green-wd40ezrx-4tb.html Will it work on my : System Type:confused:ingleseat without TV-Server Windows Version:7 (32 bit) CPU:Intel E5200 Mainboard:MSI P7 NGM Digital RAM:4 GB HDD:Western Digital: 1TB+2TB+2TB GFX-Card:ASUS...
I need some help with this upgrade. I'mlooking to buy this Hard disk...
I need some help with this upgrade. I'mlooking to buy this Hard disk...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have had a couple of bad experiences with my Thecus N5500 NAS (10TB on Raid 5) over the last year and before I either spend more money on it or replace it I am looking for a bit of advice. A year ago I had a drive fail and thought, no problems will just put in the spare and all will be fine. Except a second drive failed...
Hi, I have had a couple of bad experiences with my Thecus N5500 NAS (10TB on Raid 5) over the last year and before I either spend...
Hi, I have had a couple of bad experiences with my Thecus N5500 NAS (10TB on Raid 5) over the last year and before I either spend...
Replies
Views
As the title says my 3TB USB HDD doesn't work after MePo went to sleep and stayed this way for a while. It's connected to a USB 2.0 port and has only one partition. It is recognized and files play fine after a restart, but when i send the PC to sleep for a while (doesn't happen when the time is to short), the disk is still there and...
As the title says my 3TB USB HDD doesn't work after MePo went to sleep and stayed this way for a while. It's connected to a USB...
As the title says my 3TB USB HDD doesn't work after MePo went to sleep and stayed this way for a while. It's connected to a USB...
Replies
Views
cool.... great news Thanks heaps
cool.... great news Thanks heaps
I have a small quandary I have my main machine with a sandybridge Z68 MB running win7x64 I have 2x SATA 6Gb/s both with SSD's...
Replies
Views
Hi Greta2013 lee - hmm i am not sure if the Hardware -> Storage subforum is the right choice for your request. So i'll have an eye on it. I just deleted/changed the URL in your first post here in the forum - to our adress here - couse the delivery HP/ the vendor is not really important for your request/question about correct...
Hi Greta2013 lee - hmm i am not sure if the Hardware -> Storage subforum is the right choice for your request. So i'll have an...
hello, guys and girls: Because i always use my laptop in my room (which is most of the time anyways) with the ac adapter plugged...
Replies
Views
I have just bought a samsung 840 120 GB and i am also setting up regular backup routines so its alll automated and i wont forget or never get around to it!
I have just bought a samsung 840 120 GB and i am also setting up regular backup routines so its alll automated and i wont forget or...
great, turned over to my htpc yesterday to find the machine sat at a `choose proper boot device` screen. Red light on the back of...
Replies
Views
Yeah, I am having no problem with this. If hdds sleep and are beeing accessed for a media playing, the wait time is ok for me. What bugs me is the delay on MP-startup. Yes, will do that! Mine two are parallel too, but I see huge hdd access after resume. But maybe you are right and its doing something else. Will investigate further...
Yeah, I am having no problem with this. If hdds sleep and are beeing accessed for a media playing, the wait time is ok for me. What...
As the title says, I am looking for a good NAS in the 8TB usable space range. I'd love to use 3TB WD Red HDDS, in a 4 disk NAS that...
Replies
Views
I've got a tv and file server that I bought a new disk for today. I've been thinking of trying raid for the first time to make sure that my photos, docs and old mp3 collection are safe in case of a hdd failure. Current disks are: 2x1tb wd green, 1x2tb wd green and 1x3tb wd red. I have ~200gb (and growing) of data that I don't want...
I've got a tv and file server that I bought a new disk for today. I've been thinking of trying raid for the first time to make sure...
I've got a tv and file server that I bought a new disk for today. I've been thinking of trying raid for the first time to make sure...
Replies
Views
Yeah actually the i3-3225 is fine, it's worth it over the i3-3220... for some reason I thought the CPU you listed wasn't the cheapest 3rd gen i3. You can also consider AMD Trinity A4-5300 A6-5400 both are also good HTPC CPUs (Don't get the AMD Llano eg. A4-3XXX or A6-3XXX) The AMD CPUs generally have slightly faster graphics and...
Yeah actually the i3-3225 is fine, it's worth it over the i3-3220... for some reason I thought the CPU you listed wasn't the...
My current HTPC uses a 2tb WD green drive for everything. I plan to keep this drive for the new rig. I'm about to order parts for...
Replies
Views
I use 3 x 2tb drives, 1st has a 40gb partition for OS\MP, 2nd partition for recordings\timeshift, I do not think it matters which drive you use. Media just fills up the other 2, so they can sleep.
I use 3 x 2tb drives, 1st has a 40gb partition for OS\MP, 2nd partition for recordings\timeshift, I do not think it matters which...
I have just been sent a new 2TB Hard Drive (WesternDigital WD20EARS-00MVWB0) which is the newest version with three platters rather...
Replies
Views
Great, looking forward to it...
Great, looking forward to it...
Hey guys, don't ask me why but I thought I would check my ssds performance. just to clarify: theres nothing wrong, everything is...
Replies
Views
Hi Karmi, yes I did this. The thing to remember is Microsoft tools typically only allow you to migrate a drive to another of equal or greater size regardless of wether the actual amount of data on the HDD would fit on the SSD or not. What I did was download a trial version of Acronis True Image...
Hi Karmi, yes I did this. The thing to remember is Microsoft tools typically only allow you to migrate a drive to another of equal...
As the title says.
Replies
Views
I am making a 50 GB partition on a 500GB 7200 RPM sata II drive NSTF file system for Time shifting. The drive is only used for storage of backups so is not in use frequently. I was wondering if there is any advantage to having a large cluster size or if the standard cluster size works just as well, the time shifting file size is set...
I am making a 50 GB partition on a 500GB 7200 RPM sata II drive NSTF file system for Time shifting. The drive is only used for...
I am making a 50 GB partition on a 500GB 7200 RPM sata II drive NSTF file system for Time shifting. The drive is only used for...
Replies
Views
Mine's not fixed unfortunately (or I have a different problem as well). I might try flashing again to see if that helps -some people report that the problem goes away after flashing twice...
Mine's not fixed unfortunately (or I have a different problem as well). I might try flashing again to see if that helps -some...
In case this is happening to anyone else, if you have a Crucial M4 and have found your system freezing recently at random (usually...
Replies
Views
Hi, I stand corrected - I tried to record three progammes last night and watch a fourth recorded one, but for some reason the laptop hard drive could not handle it - I got lots of jumps in the recorded files. I tried recording to my F4 for the first time and it worked flawlessly - even better than the AV-GP drive that I was using...
Hi, I stand corrected - I tried to record three progammes last night and watch a fourth recorded one, but for some reason the...
HI there, Speedfan has just told me that there is a problem with Hard Drive and is on its way out (this is the drive that I use...
Replies
Views
I have just bought a hp microserver to host a few 3tb drives across my MP clients (I have a client/server with 4 hd sat tuners and 2 other clients) I am considering installing either WHS 2011, or a linux distro with smb sharing to my MediaPortal machines. Anyone got any experience on what works best?
I have just bought a hp microserver to host a few 3tb drives across my MP clients (I have a client/server with 4 hd sat tuners and...
I have just bought a hp microserver to host a few 3tb drives across my MP clients (I have a client/server with 4 hd sat tuners and...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 SSD Advices for MP DE
I ordered an hour ago my first corsair force 3 120gb ssd. I make a fresh clean for my system and I'm not sure if some settings must be set to ensure the health of the ssd. As I know it's not the best for the ssd if I save the cache/timeshift on it or am I wrong? Some advice for me from a ssd guru which settings must be chosen? :)...
I ordered an hour ago my first corsair force 3 120gb ssd. I make a fresh clean for my system and I'm not sure if some settings...
I ordered an hour ago my first corsair force 3 120gb ssd. I make a fresh clean for my system and I'm not sure if some settings...
Replies
Views
For a client I'd recommend one if the Gigabyte AMD boards with built-in CPU and graphics, dead easy to put together a system, just clip in some RAM, plug in a hard disk and screw it into a little case with a brick-type PSU. Lots of choice on the mini-itx.com site, for instance.
For a client I'd recommend one if the Gigabyte AMD boards with built-in CPU and graphics, dead easy to put together a system, just...
Ok, so I know that Hamlet was not concerned with Hard Drives, but I am. I have currently got my operating system running off a...
Replies
Views
Me too, nice easy software to use and of course free, their Partition Master beats the M$ utility hands down as well :D
Me too, nice easy software to use and of course free, their Partition Master beats the M$ utility hands down as well :D
As per topic.. whats the best way to convert from HDD to SSD without reinstalling. Are there downsides to doing this over a fresh...
Replies
Views
Remember that recorded digital TV is only in megabits, whereas your hard drive should be able to read and write many megabytes a second. I can easily record 10+ channels at once and play back at the same time.
Remember that recorded digital TV is only in megabits, whereas your hard drive should be able to read and write many megabytes a...
Hey everybody. I am planning to by a new Hard Drive for my recordings and would like to know if a Hard Drive with 5400 U/Min is...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom