Storage (5 Viewers)

Discussions about HDD, SSD, DVD, BluRay, etc., go in here
You might as well buy iRAMs :D
You might as well buy iRAMs :D
<snipp> "The IDE (model I25FB) and SATA (model A25FB) versions of Adtron's SSDs use SLC NAND flash memory and are designed to meet...
Replies
Views
AW: Which Hard Drives help well, timeshift is in default settings just 6 - 10 files of each 250MB. There is only one written at a time. From a hard disc operation point of view, it is a continuous writing of one file without almost any search and head positioning (and only while watching TV or pausing). Should not have a negative...
AW: Which Hard Drives help well, timeshift is in default settings just 6 - 10 files of each 250MB. There is only one written at a...
Hi looking for some help on which hard drives to use in my htpc running Mp At the moment running Raid 0 with 2 x Samsung 250Gb...
Replies
Views
Hi Greta2013 lee - hmm i am not sure if the Hardware -> Storage subforum is the right choice for your request. So i'll have an eye on it. I just deleted/changed the URL in your first post here in the forum - to our adress here - couse the delivery HP/ the vendor is not really important for your request/question about correct...
Hi Greta2013 lee - hmm i am not sure if the Hardware -> Storage subforum is the right choice for your request. So i'll have an...
hello, guys and girls: Because i always use my laptop in my room (which is most of the time anyways) with the ac adapter plugged...
Replies
Views
I have just bought a hp microserver to host a few 3tb drives across my MP clients (I have a client/server with 4 hd sat tuners and 2 other clients) I am considering installing either WHS 2011, or a linux distro with smb sharing to my MediaPortal machines. Anyone got any experience on what works best?
I have just bought a hp microserver to host a few 3tb drives across my MP clients (I have a client/server with 4 hd sat tuners and...
I have just bought a hp microserver to host a few 3tb drives across my MP clients (I have a client/server with 4 hd sat tuners and...
Replies
Views
Thanks everone...I have Directv and a DVR that My wife is happy with so for my purposes it seems like the "green" drive for the same size and price would be the way to go... by the way for what I am attempting you can see at this thread...
Thanks everone...I have Directv and a DVR that My wife is happy with so for my purposes it seems like the "green" drive for the...
I guess my original post was to broad so I decided to take it one step at a time...my first roadblock is the HDD I found one that...
Replies
Views
I have added this to the Useful Posts thread under the newcomers forum. https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/newcomers-forum-240/useful-posts-50062/
I have added this to the Useful Posts thread under the newcomers forum...
Dear Community, I would tell you a short story about my Segate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB HDD. Some days ago, my HTPC...
Replies
Views
Still doing the same thing with the new drivers. Turns out it works in the rear USB3 ports, so presumably it's just the Intel controller that doesn't get on with that drive caddy, whereas the rear ASMedia-driven ports are OK. Another USB3 caddy I borrowed works on those ports, so it seems like it's just bad luck with that particular...
Still doing the same thing with the new drivers. Turns out it works in the rear USB3 ports, so presumably it's just the Intel...
Nothing to do with MediaPortal, but I've had no luck with googling so thought there's no harm in asking the folk here... My new...
Replies
Views
Hi polarie. For years I use for timeshift Compact Flash card with IDE interface. Speed ​​and throughput is lower than USB 3.0. Maximum test load (4x Live TV clients simultaneously) without any problem. Now I have tested new TV server (2x double DVB-T USB stick) mSATA 60GB SSD disk for system, 2,5" SATA III SSD disk for recording...
Hi polarie. For years I use for timeshift Compact Flash card with IDE interface. Speed ​​and throughput is lower than USB 3.0...
I am currently using an internal SATA2 HDD for live-tv timeshifting. This drive is also the primary OS drive with a small partition...
Replies
Views
cool.... great news Thanks heaps
cool.... great news Thanks heaps
I have a small quandary I have my main machine with a sandybridge Z68 MB running win7x64 I have 2x SATA 6Gb/s both with SSD's...
Replies
Views
ok so my 1TB drive was getting full so i decided to get 2 more dives and raid them. FAIL! when i turned on the raid option in my BIOS, it just Blue Screen Of Death and reboots. SO i decided to load the drivers, FAIL! I tried installing it manually using the add new hardware wizard; Putting in the Vista disk going all the way trough to...
ok so my 1TB drive was getting full so i decided to get 2 more dives and raid them. FAIL! when i turned on the raid option in my...
ok so my 1TB drive was getting full so i decided to get 2 more dives and raid them. FAIL! when i turned on the raid option in my...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 To NAS or not? DE
What would the best alternative be if this doesn't work fluidly?
What would the best alternative be if this doesn't work fluidly?
Recently my main SSD on my HTPC died, taking away the main OS and MP along with it. How I was using it was to store the media...
Replies
Views
I am making a 50 GB partition on a 500GB 7200 RPM sata II drive NSTF file system for Time shifting. The drive is only used for storage of backups so is not in use frequently. I was wondering if there is any advantage to having a large cluster size or if the standard cluster size works just as well, the time shifting file size is set...
I am making a 50 GB partition on a 500GB 7200 RPM sata II drive NSTF file system for Time shifting. The drive is only used for...
I am making a 50 GB partition on a 500GB 7200 RPM sata II drive NSTF file system for Time shifting. The drive is only used for...
Replies
Views
AW: Switch to SSD within a raid 1 Just an update: Didnt work as expected since SSD won't get recognized on RAID-Mode. I had to switch to AHCI and am now using the HDD's in Windows Raid Mode.
AW: Switch to SSD within a raid 1 Just an update: Didnt work as expected since SSD won't get recognized on RAID-Mode. I had to...
Hi, I need hints on a (not so) small change on my htpc since I am planning to switch my System-Hdd to a SSD. Here is my...
Replies
Views
I recently bought a MyBook 1 TB external disk to hook up to my HTPC because it was getting full. The first thing I did after I hooked it up was re-format it to NTFS, and then I created two folders "Series 2" and "Movies 2", and shared those. I configured MP to get movies and TV series from those folders as well. Here is the strange...
I recently bought a MyBook 1 TB external disk to hook up to my HTPC because it was getting full. The first thing I did after I...
I recently bought a MyBook 1 TB external disk to hook up to my HTPC because it was getting full. The first thing I did after I...
Replies
Views
Dansta et al, Please take a look at my Media Server solution. It may help you managing your shares!!!! https://www.team-mediaportal.com/files/Download/Plugins/Utilities/MediaServer/ Thx, Yohay
Dansta et al, Please take a look at my Media Server solution. It may help you managing your shares...
Evening all, So I've got my client up and running in the livingroom and all is well :) Currently I have all my HDDs in my...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 Storage suggestions DE
Just to specify - the recommended drive is not just any Barracuda. It is the ES series. The other series are not meant for 24-7 use. You could use a NAS instead of a server. But if you are running a server, you do not need a NAS. Still, I am looking at a couple of NAS boxes. One called Thecus and the other is called Synology. Both...
Just to specify - the recommended drive is not just any Barracuda. It is the ES series. The other series are not meant for 24-7...
I work in the TV and film business (tech stuff and creative stuff) and thought I would share a couple of tips about storage that I...
Replies
Views
Great, looking forward to it...
Great, looking forward to it...
Hey guys, don't ask me why but I thought I would check my ssds performance. just to clarify: theres nothing wrong, everything is...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 SSD vs. HDD DE
Yes, precisely. No benefit putting a recording on SSD. You want your OS and MP app on it. Ideally have a seperate SSD for timeshift, or RAMdrive. I put Timeshift on same SSD but I have the free space using XP.
Yes, precisely. No benefit putting a recording on SSD. You want your OS and MP app on it. Ideally have a seperate SSD for...
I'm playing with the idea to replace my system HDD through a SSD Drive. SSD: Windows, MePo ProgramData, Backdrops, DB...
Replies
Views
Saw this zdnet.com article on facebook study of SSD reliability. This is for server class PCIe SSDs. Article gives info on failure modes seen on facebook server based systems. I've never tried flash/ssd based drives, don't have any hand's on experience/comments. Facebook's SSD findings: Failure, fatigue and the data center: SSDs...
Saw this zdnet.com article on facebook study of SSD reliability. This is for server class PCIe SSDs. Article gives info on failure...
Saw this zdnet.com article on facebook study of SSD reliability. This is for server class PCIe SSDs. Article gives info on failure...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 SSD recommendation DE
Hi there, If want a decent SSD (non PCIe card) then look at STEC or Pliant (massive overkill for a HTPC) I'll have an array of 10 pliant drives soon to play with...IOPs anyone? :D J. ps - Agree with the above, GC is getting better nowadays... so TRIM is less important on certain drives.
Hi there, If want a decent SSD (non PCIe card) then look at STEC or Pliant (massive overkill for a HTPC) I'll have an array...
Hi all, can you recommend any particular SSD 30-60GB? Please don't advise me to google it - I read a lot about those things in...
Replies
Views
For a client I'd recommend one if the Gigabyte AMD boards with built-in CPU and graphics, dead easy to put together a system, just clip in some RAM, plug in a hard disk and screw it into a little case with a brick-type PSU. Lots of choice on the mini-itx.com site, for instance.
For a client I'd recommend one if the Gigabyte AMD boards with built-in CPU and graphics, dead easy to put together a system, just...
Ok, so I know that Hamlet was not concerned with Hard Drives, but I am. I have currently got my operating system running off a...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 SSD for tv DE
Hmm - well now I rebooted my server pc and everythings fine. :) most likely software glitch to do with MP, windows 7 or the cpu/ram not handling it
Hmm - well now I rebooted my server pc and everythings fine. :) most likely software glitch to do with MP, windows 7 or the...
So I've been having some glitches with my tv recordings ever since I started using MP ages ago. The glitches happen when the wind...
Replies
Views
Ok I set VLC to use gpu accelleration and it fixed it. By this I mean, my tvserver pc is not using as much CPU now, so feeding the tv buffer to the client is running fine now.
Ok I set VLC to use gpu accelleration and it fixed it. By this I mean, my tvserver pc is not using as much CPU now, so feeding the...
is it still an issue with SSD an timeshifting with the modern version of MePo 1.2.0 final? or are the write actions killing for...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 SSD Advices for MP DE
I ordered an hour ago my first corsair force 3 120gb ssd. I make a fresh clean for my system and I'm not sure if some settings must be set to ensure the health of the ssd. As I know it's not the best for the ssd if I save the cache/timeshift on it or am I wrong? Some advice for me from a ssd guru which settings must be chosen? :)...
I ordered an hour ago my first corsair force 3 120gb ssd. I make a fresh clean for my system and I'm not sure if some settings...
I ordered an hour ago my first corsair force 3 120gb ssd. I make a fresh clean for my system and I'm not sure if some settings...
Replies
Views
Skips or stutter in recorded TV, slow SATA transfer rate This post is a solution to a difficult to find (for me) issue I had, hopefully someone else with the same problem will stumble on this post. The symptom: Recorded TV shows, US over the air ATSC HDTV, would occasionally skip or stutter. I recently upgraded my HDD to a...
Skips or stutter in recorded TV, slow SATA transfer rate This post is a solution to a difficult to find (for me) issue I had...
Skips or stutter in recorded TV, slow SATA transfer rate This post is a solution to a difficult to find (for me) issue I had...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 Server with w7 DE
Thanks! And from out of my local network, is it possible?
Thanks! And from out of my local network, is it possible?
Hi. Im totally newbie at this, so I need some help. I have a computer with windows7, and I want to use it a server. There´s a...
Replies
Views
Yes, up to the maximum number of bays that the NAS has. To increase space further, you then have to replace smaller disks with bigger disks, or buy another NAS. With a drive pool, you simply need a free USB socket, and no disks have to be replaced. Example: if you purchased a two-bay NAS to contain your two 2TB disks, and you later...
Yes, up to the maximum number of bays that the NAS has. To increase space further, you then have to replace smaller disks with...
Can anyone give me any pointers on a new server i want to build. I recently networked our house with Cat5e cable as i want to build...
Replies
Views
I've never had it crash on me, not once. And I've re-encoded over 100 BD rips with it so far. :) Maybe it's because I'm using XP yet? *knock on wood*. Hey, even if you re-encode 3 files in one weekend, that can free up 15gb of space. It's worth it, if you're not in a hurry.
I've never had it crash on me, not once. And I've re-encoded over 100 BD rips with it so far. :) Maybe it's because I'm using XP...
Hi all, I know this has been covered before but none of the threads have given me the option that I need. I've got a Samsung...
Replies
Views
Didi you get any further with this project? I am looking at using a Fusion 430 case for my brother-in-law's build and want to be able to use one of the (limited) drive bays for storage rather than OS. A Compact Flash card would be a great way to free up the case real-estate....
Didi you get any further with this project? I am looking at using a Fusion 430 case for my brother-in-law's build and want to be...
Hi all, I'm new to MediaPortal, coming from windows media center. During experimenting i found out that's it's possible to run...
Replies
Views
Agree with above, If using XP then you can get away with a lot less than 60GB for the OS. I would recommend 20GB (C) - Operating System + Paging file + Mediaportal + Programs 5GB (D) - Timeshift drive 225GB (E) - Media Drive Set paging file size Min & Max = 2048MB (So it uses a fixes size = less fragmentation)
Agree with above, If using XP then you can get away with a lot less than 60GB for the OS. I would recommend 20GB (C) - Operating...
Looking to optimize my storage setup. I run MP1.0.2 on XP SP3 Mostly ATSC TV output over HDMI I have a single 250GB drive that...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom