0.2.3.0 or RC1? (1 Viewer)

Zappza

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi!

I have MP 0.2.3.0 installed right now, and have finally got it setup the way I like it. However, Monochrome has uploaded a new version of the skin, which requires 1.0.0.0 RC1. Therefore I am considering to update to RC1, however if there aren't any new features that I might want, I don't think I'll bother.

So, what are the differences between RC1 and 0.2.3.0?

Regards,
    Bjarte

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Since MP has been in a feature freeze for some time, there aren't that may new features (but a few have slipped in :D). I would still recommend that you try out latest version (you can wait until RC2, perhaps).

Not so sure that you will get "official" support if you use 0.2.3.0.

Also: My weather will probably not work with 0.2.3.0 - along with other stuff. (<- lazy)

Zappza

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    My Weather does work with 0.2.3.0.

The only thing I have problems with, is with the Music Player, it stops after the first track, but when I press Next after that the music goes on without any problems.
    Also some stability issues, but not any serious one.

LXTR

Portal Pro
    November 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I can't install the new MP 1 cause i'd loose all my data (TV series, Films etc). There's a lot of data i have so it could be terrible to me.

As MP 1 needs clean install, i feel "tied up". Everybody seems to be working only for new MP1, and 0.2.3.0 seems to be died.

¿what could we do? :confused:

If only anyone could create a new RC for MP1 to install over the old 0.2.3 not loosing all data...!!!

:(

PD: Weather is not working anymore for me in old 0.2.3.0. Everybody seems to be repairing it only for new MP1.

Zappza

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Same problem here to.
    I don't want to loose my Movie database, as I have customized so many movies with it. The TV Series issue is also a problem, but nothing I can't handle.

Can I just take backup of the databases folder and copy it back after installing RC1?

samundsen

Portal Pro
    December 30, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Loosing my setup, everything I have spent countless hours customizing to get MP exactly the way I like it, is the only reason I haven't installed RC1. I can understand the reason behind enforcing a clean install, but I wish there was a documented way of backing up and restoring all settings.

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi all,

I'm not sure you will loose everything... Before I installed 1.0.0.0 with RC1 I did a complete Rar-file with all of MP directory for 0.2.3.0 with latest SVN. I also exported the channel settings from TVServer.

As soon as the install was done I started putting things back in place again. In TVServer I imported the channels, hence no need to rescan and it worked fine. All groups came along. For MP I put the skin back where it was (I use PMIII). I also restored the thumbs directory with all jpgs and TV-icons. Then I restored the db files for Films in the database directory. I also restored the MediaPortal.xml file with all settings for MP itself. The final piece (I believe) was the settings for IR server so I didn't have to remap all keys of my MCE Remote.

You got to remember that some directories have move to the user directory instead of the installation directory.

When all of this was done I used the new feature to import all recordings from the past. When all was done there were some very small fine tuning left but I believe I saved a lot of time restoring most data.

I'm not sure this is the offical way to do it but it worked for me. As soon as I had a new working config I did the same again, i.e. created a Rar-file of the entire MP directory and I can restore my user settings if somethings goes wrong down the line.

Wrt the question of 0.2.3.0 vs 1.0.0.0 there is no question, 1.0.0.0 is so much more stable. Had it running for weeks without any problems. I have applied RC1, don't see any need for RC2 or later yet simply because it works so well. The only fix was the MyWeather since they changed the API and it stopped working. Can not really blame MP for that...

/Peter

LXTR

Portal Pro
    November 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi all,

I'm not sure you will loose everything... Before I installed 1.0.0.0 with RC1 I did a complete Rar-file with all of MP directory for 0.2.3.0 with latest SVN. I also exported the channel settings from TVServer.
    Wrt the question of 0.2.3.0 vs 1.0.0.0 there is no question, 1.0.0.0 is so much more stable. Had it running for weeks without any problems. I have applied RC1, don't see any need for RC2 or later yet simply because it works so well. The only fix was the MyWeather since they changed the API and it stopped working. Can not really blame MP for that...

/Peter

Well, I did it. It doesn't work for me. :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom