0.2.3.0 RC1 (SVN) DVR-MPEG Video Editor (1 Viewer)

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    The DVR-MPEG Editor has a bug which causes to automatically start playing the video being edited whenever you move the slider bar, so there is no way set set the start or end points because of it.

To reproduce it:

1. Open the DVR-MPEG Editor,
    2. Select any file,
    3. Use the arrow keys to move to the slider,
    4. Press the right once key to jump forward and then see the video starts playing.

If someone can double chek it, then it should be easy to fix by devs.

TV-Server Version:
    MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0 RC1 SVN 27-7-2007
    MediaPortal Skin: BlackMyst
    Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP2
    CPU Type: AMD XP 2500+
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 320 GB 7200 rpm 8 MB cache
    Memory: 512 MB DDR333 (2x256 MB Dual Channel)
    Motherboard: Shuttle SN41G2V3
    Motherboard Chipset: nForce 2 MCP
    Motherboard Bios:
    Video Card: Sapphire Atlantis ATI Radeon 9600 (passively cooled)
    Video Card Driver: Catalyst 7.4
    Sound Card: built-in
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver: Audio driver 4.42 (WHQL)
    1. TV Card: Pinnacle PCTV Dual DVB-T Pro PCI
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    1. TV Card Driver: 3.2.4.0
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdsho beta2a_20070322
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case: Shuttle SN41G2V3
    Cooling:
    Power Supply: Shuttle 250W
    Remote: iMON Knob
    TV: Loewe Cantus
    TV - HTPC Connection: S-Video

RailBaron

Portal Member
    January 11, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Behavior Confirmed

I've been able to confirm the Video Editor behavior described by igalan in the three releases mentioned below. But I don't think this is a bug in the Video Editor plugin per se. Rather I think this is a classic case of being hit by "The Law of Unintended Consequences". I'll freely admit that I'm guessing, but I think I know much of what's going on - especially with 25 years of tech support/systems design under my belt. Also, I have (temporarily) switched back to v2.2.0, and the editor is working properly (with MPA and MPV codecs). If truly needed, I'll gladly provide logs (yes, at the debug level). Just let me know which release to run against.

It appears that the behavior of the video playback widget changed at some point post-v2.2.0, so that if playback were paused, then the position within the file were changed (e.g. with arrow keys to skip forward or backwards), once the change was complete, playback would immediately start. In v2.2.0, it was possible to pause, move somewhere else, and stay paused. It also appears that the Video Editor plugin merely calls the playback widget during its 'Cut' function in order to set endpoint markers, reading the timestamp from the playback widget.

Why is this change in behavior of the playback widget important to the Video Editor? First, it is no longer possible to single-step (in 1 sec increments) through a video (dvr-ms, and in theory now, mpg, but I haven't tried mpg's yet) file to fine tune a cut point. Trying to hit arrow keys and a space bar quickly enough is now a maddening exercise. Second, and more importantly, once playback within the Video Editor reaches the end of a file, it appears that an automatic fclose() (or equivalent) occurs, and it is no longer possible to scroll back to any other point within the file, short of backing up a screen and re-entering the file entirely. Couple this with the automatic playback, and it is also no longer possible to set a cut endpoint at the end of a video file.

I would actually be happy if this were in some way user error on my part. I'd welcome any and all input. Just no flames, please.

As I see it, there are a few potential solutions. First, change the video playback behavior to what it was in v2.2.0 (skipping while paused stays paused). But I figure someone wanted the change in behavior for a reason, so that may not be a good idea. Second, build an option within Configuration to allow for a user to select which behavior to use. Third, modify the API that Video Editor uses to call the video playback widget to allow it to turn off the new behavior during editing. Fourth, do both 2 + 3.

Do let me know if more info (logs, more detail, new SVN's to try) would be useful.

TV-Server Version:
    MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0 RC1 baseline, SVN 15444, SVN 15494
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue 2
    Windows Version: XP Pro SP2
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon 1.3 GHz
    HDD: WD 3000JB
    Memory: 896 MB
    Motherboard: Epox EP-8KTA3
    Motherboard Chipset: VIA
    Motherboard Bios:
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce FX 5200
    Video Card Driver:
    Sound Card: SoundBlaster Live!
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: ATI TVWonder Elite
    1. TV Card Type: HW (550 chip)
    1. TV Card Driver:
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Comcast
    HTPC Case: Ahanix MCE601
    Cooling:
    Power Supply: Ahanix 300W
    Remote: ATI Remote Wonder plus
    TV: JVC AV-27790
    TV - HTPC Connection: SVGA

gabryumts

Portal Member
    February 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    ...RailBaron, did you received any feedback about this issue? ...it's the same one I'm facing and disturbing me a lot !!...

RailBaron

Portal Member
    January 11, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Paul and gabryumts,

I just had a chance to try out the video editor on 0.2.3 Final, with svn 17070. Same problems as before. I'll post details in the other thread.

RailBaron

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom