0 answers - per usual (1 Viewer)

p4cm4n

Portal Member
December 31, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Do you not think that you would receive more donations if you tried answering questions in the newbie forums a bit more?

The forum is clogged with unanswered posts, yet your still quick enough to stick your hand out for donations?

I've given up asking anything on here.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi.
    Browsing your posts, I can to some extent understand your frustration. I think the support @ this forum is really good, but sadly you seem to have been a bit unlucky.

That does not in any way mean that I apologise for it!

This is a free product, developed and otherwise worked on by enthusiast in their free time. The goal of the product is to create the best mediacenter - free for everyone to use (some might say we are already there ;)). All donations are really appreciated, as they make it easier to fulfil this goal (getting hardware so that MP can support it etc.) - but the donations themselves are not part of the goal.

You point is off cores still valid, and I for one will try to make an effort in monitoring this part of the forum.

p4cm4n

Portal Member
    December 31, 2009
    Home Country
    I'm not complaining about myself. Just look at all the unanswered questions in the newcomers froum. Why dont these get answered?

quake2rambo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: 0 answers - per usual

Hi,
    before you step others on the feet, fill out and show your complete sys-specs. There is no one out there able to guess what Hard- and Software is in use on your system. This may be the first step to get help by others. And, yes I am a donator for this great work! :D

p4cm4n

Portal Member
    December 31, 2009
    Home Country
    Re: AW: 0 answers - per usual

Hi,
    before you step others on the feet, fill out and show your complete sys-specs. There is no one out there able to guess what Hard- and Software is in use on your system. This may be the first step to get help by others. And, yes I am a donator for this great work! :D

Good for you. No doubt donating gives preferential treatment then?

Perhaps once people get it 'working' then they will dig in their pockets (or not?)

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I was a newb once myself (I still think of myself so), I don't have all the answers and will almost always wait to see if a more knowledgeable person checks in, as I'm sure I can still glean a little. If details are required that exceed my knowledge then I just clam up.

There is a search feature that can be explored, if you know what to ask about. Also, many times when you start a thread, the system tries to find similar posts that may lead in the right direction, or assist on what questions to ask. A full description of your set-up is a definite plus, although if the set-up is foreign to other users, they may not attempt to help so not to mislead. Others will try to help, regardless of how foolish it may make them seem.

Sometimes a question is asked, then they find the answer themselves but never return to the original post to share their discovery, and leave a seemingly open request on record.

As said before, this is free software created in free time and any support given is voluntary and also free. If you find that a question you have has been asked before, and unanswered, then just ask again, no-one will be put off.

Making a donation does not increase your likability or determine response.

Best Regards, and welcome to the forum.

Chuck

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Re: AW: 0 answers - per usual

No, not all - in fact I suspect donators are also more likely to be active on the forum because they are interested in supporting the project generally.

The reality is that there are dozens of new posts every day on the forum, and like most people (I suspect) I scan down the list of new posts and take a look at the questions that look interesting and that I might be able to contribute to. If someone can't be bothered to provide even a basic system spec, what steps they've already tried etc I probably won't reply because experience suggests it usually takes several posts to get that information out of the questioner.....

This is a community forum, if you are user of MP you've got enough knowledge to answer some basic newcomer questions, so get stuck in :) (we were all MP newbies once upon a time....)

Tony

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    I am not a donator but I have found the people on this website very helpful indeed!

Often it is about how the question is asked and if all the right information is given.

It sounds like you have just been unlucky.

Robbo100

quake2rambo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: 0 answers - per usual

Perhaps once people get it 'working' then they will dig in their pockets (or not?)
    A little bit rough, I think ... What is about the typically English politeness?

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    And there are somebody like me who has not donated or received a dime. Instead i have donated my knowledge to community.

Anyway I hope you can find solution that is good for you.

Br,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom