[Installation] 1.1.0 Alpha fails to install at MySQL point (1 Viewer)

meq123

Portal Pro
February 1, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 A
Windows Version: XP Pro-SP3
CPU Type: Intel E2180
Motherboard: ECS G43M
1. TV Card: ATI 650 Pro
2. TV Card: Aver m780

I just cleaned out my previous 1.0.2 installation and MSSQL install in order to do a full 1.1 Alpha install using the default MySQL.

The installer goes fine for a while and performs the MySQL download OK, but then during the MySQL install step it bombs out with a popup saying: "mySQL - set password error: 1" (see attached).

I tried uninstalling everything again, rebooting and re-installing, but same problem. I also tried the latter again without firewall enabled - no joy. I even tried downloading and preinstalling MySQL manually, but then I don't know how to configure it, so that failed for me too. :confused:

Any one got any ideas? Or even point me to how to manually install configure MySQL? (Just a note, my Win user account does not have a password set, if that matters).

Thanks.
-Mark

Attachments

• MySQL.gif
    MySQL.gif
    30.2 KB

meq123

Portal Pro
February 1, 2008
Home Country
I found the install instructions for mySQL in the MP manual pages (I know, RTFM) but my attempts at manual installation still didn't work. (refer: https://www.team-mediaportal.com/manual/TV-Server/install-MySql5)

When it came to the configuration screens, unlike the manual screenshot, it (now) has an "old" root password field (see attachment 1). I tried entering blank, "root" and "sa" there, but in every case when I click next and then execute, the "start service" step fails (see attachment 2).

I'm stumped. Please help?

Attachments

• MySQL2.gif
    MySQL2.gif
    28.5 KB
  • MySQL3.gif
    MySQL3.gif
    24.7 KB

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    uninstall of previous MySQL version may have left databases in place.
    Please be sure to do a in depth cleanup

Simone

meq123

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Home Country
    OK, after a series of missteps, I deleted BOTH the ProgramFiles/MySQL folder tree as well as the Docs&Settings//MySQL folders (after first uninstalling MySQL via the Control Panel). That allowed me to manually install MySQL and did not get the "old" root password field. So all is well (woo hoo!)

I have not tried the full auto install via MP, but I assume that would've worked too.

Still don't know why I had the problem in the first place, given I didn't have a MySQL installation on this machine before :-/

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    If you found a bug or encountered a problem with RC1, then please use the appropriate section of the forum. I doubt testers or devs monitor 1.1 alpha-section :)

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    The same problem with 1.1.0.0 RC1

It's a security measure of MySQL: if you have a old install when you remove it pwd is not remove dso we cannot set a new one during our install.

You have to be sure of removing also c:\Program Files\MySQl directory and reboot before attempting a new install.

Simone

AlexRozen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    The same problem with 1.1.0.0 RC1

It's a security measure of MySQL: if you have a old install when you remove it pwd is not remove dso we cannot set a new one during our install.

You have to be sure of removing also c:\Program Files\MySQl directory and reboot before attempting a new install.

Simone

I have found it myself. But it would be better if installer make more user-friendly message.

By the way. Connection string for MP itself is not set correctly by installer in 1.1 RC1. I had to copy it manually from TvServer config.

mpiwanna

Portal Member
    August 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Thanks for posting your problem and solution. I had the same issue.

I actually came across your post by Googling the error message.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom