100% CPU Usage and still Stutter, need a new Graphic Card? (1 Viewer)

bigboss97

Portal Pro
January 31, 2006
Sydney
Home Country
Area: Media Portal Program
MP Version: 0.2.0.0 RC2
Skin: Project X, also Blue Two
Windows Version: XP Prof 2002 SP2
CPU Type: Celeron D 2.8 GHz
Memory: 512MB
Motherboard Chipset: ASUS P5S800-VM, Northbridge SIS 661FX, Southbridge SIS 964
Video Card: onboard (SIS Ultra-AGPII)
Video Card Driver: SIS 661FX 6.14.10.3611
Video Card Resolution: 800x600
Video Render Type: Video Mixing Renderer 9 -Renderless
Video Codec Type & Version: LeadTek DTV Video Decoder
Audio Codec Type & Version: LeadTek Audio Decoder
TV Card: WinFast DTV 1000T
TV Card Type: hardware
TV Card Driver: LeadTek 4.0.107.3204

The CPU usage indicates 20-30% when I only leave MP open (without any action).
When I turn on TV with small picture (skin around) the usage goes up to ~75-100% and the video and sound stutter extremly.
If I click on the picture and get full picture (with window frame) the video runs a lot smother and only stops from time to time and the CPU usage is almost steady at 100%.
In fullscreen mode, it's doing also well. but as soon as the mouse pointer moves to the bottom and the control panel appears then it's bad again.

It seems that displaying the skin costs a lot of CPU power.
Any setting I can change to improve that? or I need a new graphic card? If yes, what feature do I have to look at?

thanks
Phuoc

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
May 13, 2005
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
The onboard card is only directx 7 hardware compatible.
You need a dx9 hardware card like:

nvidia fx5200 or bether.
ATI 9550 9600 or better.

You will have a big performance improvement when you do so.

bigboss97

Portal Pro
January 31, 2006
Sydney
Home Country
Just upgraded my PC with ASUS N6200/TD/256M. Driver: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 vers 7.6.4.5

Now the skin graphic is very smoth and the small TV picture with skin around is so good as full window mode before.
But it's still losing frames in fullscreen mode and when there's fast movement or flash light you can see a line between two frames, just like the resolution is too high and it's not fast enough to refresh.

bigboss97

Portal Pro
January 31, 2006
Sydney
Home Country
Callifo said:
Its in the general section.
Thanks, I've turned it on now.
But I still see losing frames :-( I noticed that it seems to drop frames in regular interval. Has this something to do with frame rate, e.g. NTSC or PAL? Just guessing hehehe...

bigboss97

Portal Pro
January 31, 2006
Sydney
Home Country
bigboss97 said:
Just upgraded my PC with ASUS N6200/TD/256M. Driver: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 vers 7.6.4.5

Now the skin graphic is very smoth and the small TV picture with skin around is so good as full window mode before.
But it's still losing frames in fullscreen mode and when there's fast movement or flash light you can see a line between two frames, just like the resolution is too high and it's not fast enough to refresh.

I'm still wodering why MP is taking 25% of the CPU even when only the skin is displayed without any action. Is this a nature of MP or I've got something set up wrong?

thanks
Phuoc

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Cant explain that one, while it is a dx application it shouldnt be using that much. Think about it like a game, if you playing an FPS and are doing absoltely nothing, its still going to be rendering the image so it will be using cpu time. But the amount of cpu would be a lot less (much less to render), as mine last time I looked was about 5% idle on my 2600+ Sempron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom