2 LAN ports networking question (1 Viewer)

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've got an ASUS mobo that has 2 LAN ports. I'm thinking of using this mobo for my TV-Server.

Do you think I would have an issue with using one port for my home network setup which includes connecting to my client(s), a second computer and to my DSL modem through a router, and then connect the other lan port to my 2 HDHomerun dual tuners via a LAN switch. I'm wanting to separate my the up to four simultaneous TV-Server recording streams from interfering with other traffic on my home network, as well as the media streams from my TV-Server (which will also have my movie and TV-Series storage) to my client(s).

I'm not sure how this would all work together.

Thanks for any insight.

Chuck

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    I think that with your configuration will not be problem. I don't know how HDHomerun devices get their IP addresses, but I suppose that they acquire IP address through DHCP. In that case you will need to set another IP network for HDHomerun devices (and of course for one LAN port) and another IP network to second LAN port (ane your internal network).

Edit: I have two LAN ports system (one connected to IPTV provider, one to internal network) and system is working correctly.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    Would a LAN switch be appropriate for the tuner side, or would I need another router.

I know ... a nubie question. You would think that working with PCs for a couple decades I should know.

Chuck

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    You have two possibilities. First is another router (because tuner devices you want to have in another network) or second is that you install another network card in your PC (in that case you will have 3 network cards). It is up to you.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    I see a problem with having 2 networks... the tuners use the modem for debug reporting. Maybe the best route would be adding a LAN card. Since the tuners will only otherwise be accessed by the TV-Server anyway.

Chuck

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Chuck

I should tell you that I am working on support for PID filtering for the HDHomeRun, which should significantly reduce the network bandwidth that they use. This problem may go away...

mm

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    that's good to hear, mm. I think I might still try the LAN card anyway, I've got one laying around somewhere, unused, so there's not any expense. I'm running out of connections on my router and I would rather not buy a switch to expand my network it I don't need to.

I won't have my new client together for at least a couple months (now that school has started up my babysitting income has dwindled) so I've got time to think.

Chuck

ferrocene

Portal Member
    December 29, 2010
    Home Country
    Just ran across this thread. You'd need to specify static IPs for each HDHomerun, and a static IP on the NIC on the mobo, all in the same subnet of course, and in a different subnet than your internal network.

You don't need a router, just a switch. If you want the tuners to have internet access, you'll need to turn on Routing and Remote Access on your windows machine. that option may only be available on server editions, YMMV.

Either way, it's totally doable and pretty easy. Although if you have a gigabit network, it is pretty unnecessary, you'll never max it out with 4 tuners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom