2003 Server with MCE Infrared remote (1 Viewer)

sysfix

Portal Member
December 8, 2005
Windows 2003 Standard Server
MCE Europe Remote and IRDA receiver
P4 266mhz, 512mb RAM
Intel 915G Graphics

HI, I're read a few posts but there doesnt seem to be a solution. I have the above setup and all works well except my new remote Control. It is recognised by the system after copying drivers off the XP_Pro CD and also MCE_2005 CD. However, the setup is not controlling MediaPortal.

What are peoples thoughts on this. IS THERE? a working solution.
Why am I using server 2003? Because I need terminal services to access a session from work and leave the TV setup working for people back homee. Also runs as a mail server and a web server.

So.... Microsoft remote Control and IRDA receiver, Compatibility with 2003 server. NB: It worked fine on XP SP2

Slider

Portal Member
April 28, 2005
Netherlands
Hi,

I think there is no solution :cry:
About 6 months ago, I tried the exact same thing you are doing. I used my server pc hardware (with Windows 2003 Server) for a Media Portal pc. I wanted to access the pc by Remote Desktop, without disturbing the people who are watching. Only Server versions of Windows can do that, but they can't use the MCE Remote.

Even if you installed the drivers correctly (and I tried many things), Media Portal still won't use it. It seems Windows does see the remote, but Media Portal can't see/access it in those Windows versions.

So I think it's a MP software problem, but none of the programmers gave me an answer if it even could work. So I gave up.

I do have a Media pc now, by giving up my server hardware and just installed Windows XP sp2.

Maybe now there are people who know what to do about this or even an MP programmer who knows an answer.

sysfix

Portal Member
December 8, 2005
gutted!

A full system restall just for a remote control. terrible!
In the meantime, have a look here. It shows how you can get XP to accept terminal sessions without kicking off the user.

Hope it helps. In my case it wont as I use a lot of server features.
http://sig9.com/node/110

Slider

Portal Member
April 28, 2005
Netherlands
fantastic!

This was exactly what I was looking for. And it works too. Now I don't need a server windows anymore.

But what kind of server features do you want to use? Aren't there any 3rd party programs that can do these things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom