2k3-server (1 Viewer)

KoktGrus

Portal Pro
November 8, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hello!

Does the tv-server run on MS windows 2k3-server?

If it does, can i install my tv-cards using the regular xp-drivers? Hope so =/

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Does the tv-server run on MS windows 2k3-server?
    yes it does :)
    If it does, can i install my tv-cards using the regular xp-drivers? Hope so =/
    its not suggested, but it worked here.

my problem was that when i bought a new mainboard, i dindt check if there were Win2k3 drivers for it...... that was quite dumb... now i have to use WinXP..... :mad:

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    problem with a 2k3 server is that ... its a server
    This means that microsoft doesnt supply updates for tv/video/directshow related sections.
    You wont find any DVB hotfixes for 2k3, only for XP/Vista/XPMCE

So.. is it a wise decision to use 2k3 ? depends on your configuration
    but i stick with vista/xp atm

Frodo

KoktGrus

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    i'm running a 180-days trial of the 2k3-server from microsoft... all my old xp-drivers works just fine!

The only problem is that my client of the tv-server stutters really bad... almost unwatchable... the local client has no problems at all, using the same codecs and svn =S

RutgerDB

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I use Windows 2003 server with FireDTV DVB-C. No problem whatsoever!

Only the latest TV server engine has been a pain in the ass, but I now switched back to a working version (of June 2007) and all is fine again.

Installing XP drivers on Windows 2003 have worked for me up until this point. (Both for my videocard and for my FireDTV device).

Good luck!

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    I think the original question was only about using 2k3 server as TV-server.

My question would be, whether anyone uses a 2k3 server as TV-server AND client.
    The reason is that I'm currently using a Belkin DSL-router for my internet acces and as I have a spare license for SBS 2k3 server, I'd love to use a SBS 2k3-Box with MS-ISA server. Furthermore, the included sql-server yould be used for the tv-server.
    The question is now, whether I should buy a separate small box as 2k3-server and use it additionally to my XP MP-box. But on the other hand, I don't want to pay the electricity bill for two computers running 24/7 and my MP box has definitely enough power for all that additional stuff...

Has anyone any experience with such an all-in-one-box?

cheers,
    Michael

RutgerDB

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    MJGraf, if your videocard drivers are suitable for Windows 2003 you should not have any problems. I did install the MediaPortal client on my server as well and this was running very smooth.

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Thanks RutgerDB!

My graphics card is a NVidia 6600 atm and will be something like a 8600 in the future. Although the nvidia site has only drivers for either "Windows XP / 2000" or "Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition", i guess the first one will also work with a 2k3 server.

The problem might be the TV card. Until then, this should be a TT-budget S2-3200. Anyone got this card to work under 2k3 server?

Thanks,
    Michael

Users who are viewing this thread