4:3 programs with letterbox stretched out of screen (1 Viewer)

clone_tk422

Portal Pro
April 14, 2007
TV-Server Version: N/A
MediaPortal Version: 0.2..2..0
MediaPortal Skin: N/A
Windows Version: Vista 32 Public Release
CPU Type: AM2 X2 4600+ 65W Version
HDD: 1 x WD SATA II 250GB 16MB Cache, 1 x WD SATA II 500GB 16MB Cache
Memory: 2 x 1GB DDR2 533 Kingston Value RAM KVRD533D2N4/1G
Motherboard: ASUS M2NE
Motherboard Chipset: Nvidia 570
Motherboard Bios: 0802
Video Card: Gigabyte 7600GT 256MB RAM Silent Pipe II
Video Card Driver: 100.65
Sound Card: Motherboard on board sound, Soundmax AD1998
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: 6.10.01.6110
1. TV Card: Dvico Fusion Dual Digital 4
1. TV Card Type: PCI DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 3.61
2. TV Card: Twinham 1034 Mantis (Driver not yet installed)
2. TV Card Type: PCI DVB-S
2. TV Card Driver: 1.0.5.4
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Nvidia
MPEG2 Audio Codec: NVidia
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Austar
HTPC Case: Zalman HD-160
Cooling: Stock case fans
Power Supply: Thermaltake 430W
Remote: Dvico Fusion, IRTrans
TV: Samsung CRT Rear Pro 52 Inch - 1080i capable
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

Hi All,

I have a 16:9 tv but there is a Wierd issue happening no matter what codec I use but on some of my sat channels, its only broadcast in 4:3 but it sometimes has programs which were only shot in 16:9 so it shows it in 4:3 but letterboxed so basically black bars on sides and on top.

But as I said whatever codec I use, it actually is not displaying the picture properly instead of just showing it as a 4:3 image with bars on top and side it stretches the image and cuts off the top but the bottom still has black bars.. Its still in 4:3 but its stretches the 16:9 frame of the pic and so some of the top is cutoff

Its like its picking up the black bars and thinking it should stretch it because it thinks the source image is 16:9 but its being broadcast as 4:3

I have my aspect ratio set to normal and also the codec is set to automatic depending on the source contect. Any 16:9 or full 4:3 broadcast displays correctly in full 16:9 widescreen or 4:3 its just the programs which are broadcast in 4:3 but as 16:9 inside the 4:3 frame where it stretches it

The broadcast is digital so I thought the codec should be reading the properties of the broadcast signal to work out whether its 16:9 or 4:3 not by scanning the actual image and seeing black bars and deciding its 16:9 or 4:3??

I know it sounds like a wierd issue but it should be keeping it as 4:3 or at least if I zoom it it should go to gull 16:9 and get rid of bars on sides and top but it doesnt if i zoom it just stretches out to full screen but still stretches the top incorrectly

thanks

Elf

Portal Pro
June 8, 2005
UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Could it be your TV that's stretching the image? My TV has an "automatic" function that will stretch anything with black bars to try and fit the screen - it's not always perfect and sometimes gives results similar to what you're describing. Could you be using a similar mode on your TV?

clone_tk422

Portal Pro
April 14, 2007
Could it be your TV that's stretching the image? My TV has an "automatic" function that will stretch anything with black bars to try and fit the screen - it's not always perfect and sometimes gives results similar to what you're describing. Could you be using a similar mode on your TV?

I dont think its the TV as when I used to use the set top box for the same sat channels, I used to be able to view these channels fine

also the image is stretched in the preview window as well so that tells me the codec is doing it..

noxx2

Portal Pro
September 10, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
i ve the same problem with myTV (FFD and MPV).

4:3 are scretched to 16:9, zoom is not useful. Movies in 16:9 are ok, but Movies in myTV in 16:9 (4:3 with black bars up and down) are scretched. My Plasma works with 1268x768, that is the best resolution for my TV (test with Nokia ntest).

perhaps one of you have a solution.

Muschi

Portal Pro
March 10, 2005
Home Country
Germany Germany
special stretch function for DVB-T movies in 4:3 format with 16:9 black bars ?

It is DVB-T dependend.

Some TV stations sends movies in 4:3 format, but the movie content is inside black bars up and down the movie.
It is not really 16:9 format, it will only less compressed since the picture is smaller.

=> We need a special stretch function for DVB-T in MediaPortal.
=> The current stretch function expand only to the 4:3 format, but do not remove the black bars...

have set an improvement post...
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/special_stretch_function_dvb_t_movies_4-t30297.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom