Completed 4300S Dell HTPC (1 Viewer)

purplejuelz

Portal Member
May 25, 2006
New York
i have been fiending for a media center pc to play files in an easy to view format ... and now i have one
be warned ... shes no powerhouse, but runs smooth
---------------------------------------------------------------
Dell 4300S (oldie) running XP Pro
1.8 GHz P4
512 MB SDRAM
NEC 3520-A 16x DVD-R/RW
320 GB Maxtor
80 GB Western Digital
GeForce MX440 AGP - running @ 4x :lol:
Orinoco Silver 802.11b
Logitech Wireless Keyboard/Mouse <<~~ crapola
connected to:
Polaroid FLM-2632 26" LCD TV w/ ATSC tuner built-in
via:
D-Sub 15
missing: TV tuner card ... i dont watch much tv, and what i do watch usually comes off BT in the form of a HDTV.avi rip

i think thats it .... ill try and get a pic up, only thing worth looking at is the TV though ... i need a shiny silver pc case :cry:

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
For HDTV viewing you'll need a better videcard (won't run smooth) and probebly more RAM. A better videocard is advisable anyway, even without the need for HDTV.

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
as we talked in IRC, you are probably MUCH better off (in fact I think it can even come cheaper) to get a new HTPC...

even the LOWEST END (and cheapest) POSSIBLE you can buy today, is much faster and better than that

turning "a spare old PC" to a linux net/file server (with no GUI) is much simpler than turning it to an HTPC

my opinion of course

purplejuelz

Portal Member
May 25, 2006
New York
ill keep that in mind, ive been working for a month now saving some $, when it comes time i will be consulting you guys .... ive got my eye on those high end receiver look HTPC cases

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
What NLS says is true....
I started about a year ago with a PIII 1Ghz, 64MB video an 512MB RAM. But soon I started upgrading part by part. If I look back at what I spend on parts thure time...I could better have bougt a completely new computer. I would have had more PC for less money.

purplejuelz

Portal Member
May 25, 2006
New York
exactly what i been trying to stay away from "ooo this looks good, ooo that looks good" and stick it out with what i got until i can do the whole thing, like get one of the Dvine cases and go from there

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
ok that is fair enough - but believe me, you don't have to look so high

a simple 500 euro complete PC is MUCH MORE powerful than your current setup

than you can change the case etc. if you want

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom