44.1kHz playback of audio files (1 Viewer)

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi

Does anyone know if bit perfect audio playback of wav and flac files is possible on a GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard via the SPDIF output.

On previous hardware I have noticed great benefit (for sound quality) of outputing audio files at the native 44.1kHz sampling rate.

Currently my audio files are being resampled to 48kHz.

Kev

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
Hi automated,

Many thanks for the hint.

I have tried ASIO (get horribly distorted sound) and also Kernel streaming in Foobar.

The problem seems to be the Realtek sound driver/sound app..

My MB uses the ALC885 codec chip. It has SPDIF out. The Realtek sound app. has a button to set SPDIF output sampling rate. I have the options 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 96Khz, 192Khz. My Arcam AV8 preamp can handle the first 3 settings.

It is this Realtek app setting which seems to control the sampling rate of the SPDIF output rather than the sampling rate of the media file. When I set 44.1kHz out and play music via kernel streaming through Foobar the sound is very noticably better but when I then play an Mpeg file through MP it outputs this at 44.1Khz also.

So I would like 44.1kHz for wav files and 48kHz for MPEG sound etc.

It is not at all obvious how to make this happen with the Realtek sound driver app.

Which chipset/sound card are you using?

Kev

bolders

Portal Pro
February 1, 2007
Home Country
Hi KevL

I have got the same MB as you and want to get 44.1KHz O/P but the only option I have got is 48KHz. Can you post a link to the drivers etc you are using that enable you to select O/P sampling rate an possibly a pic of where you configure it.

Also what version of MP and foobar are you using. I installed a version of foobar but when i tried to configure in MP config it says that foobar is not installed :confused:

cheers

bolders

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
Hi Bolders

I have cpatured some screen shots of the realtek drivers that Im using. Hope there is enough info there.

I haven't yet setup MP to use the Foobar plugin (as I dont yet have foobar spdif output working well) but Im using RC2 + the first SVN for RC2.

I'm using Foobar 9.5.5.0. My thinking is that there is no point trying to get MP to output to Foobar until I get Foobar working properly.

Re the setting output sample rate, on the 3rd screen shot there is a button with a spanner on it near DIGITAL. Pressing this button loads the sample rate settings for the SPDIF output.

Kev

Attachments

• gigbyte audio app1.jpg
    gigbyte audio app1.jpg
    108.8 KB
  • gigbyte audio app2.jpg
    gigbyte audio app2.jpg
    100 KB
  • gigbyte audio app3.jpg
    gigbyte audio app3.jpg
    142.2 KB

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
I have just upgraded to the newest version of the driver on the gigabyte site. (R1.97).

It has added support for DTS and also now allows audio o/p via the HDMI port (not that HDMI audio helps me as my TV has no speakers associated with it. My audio goes out via SPDIF to an amp with speakers).

Anyway I notice that the option for sample rates other than 48kHz has been removed from the latest drivers.

So much for progress.

Need drivers with the option:-

"dont piss about with sample rates, just squirt it straight out of the SPDIF without messing about with it.".

Kev

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I'll vote for that option! :)
    Anyway, I believe you'll find R200-drivers @ Realtek (as usual, expect to waste 30 min. to DL the damn thing form Realtek's site ;)). Not sure what the "improvements" are, though ...

bolders

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi

Great info thx guys

Thanks for screen shots KevL - they have confirmed that I have been looking in the right place. Im using the latest drivers and so have only the one option as you have pointed out. Im passing audio over HDMI to my Onkyo TS-XR606 amp so I cant use the older driver which sucks as both amp and MB support all formats you have listed. As you say so much for progress.

Ill try the R200 drivers you have suggested spragleknas thx for heads up.

Hopefully ill get to play with foobar again over the next couple of days - ill post my results when i have some.

bolders

automated

Portal Member
    December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    The trick is to use 2 soundcards :)

The way i have it set up is

For music : Mediaportal with foobar plugin > foobar > kernal streaming > chaintech AV-710 soundcard > analogue connection > AMPLIFIER

For video/surround: Mediaportal > FFDSHOW > Onboard soundcard > SPDIF > AMPLIFIER

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom