4x20 with Joe Daltons HD44780 no backlight (1 Viewer)

Balatron

Portal Member
October 5, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

i managed to get my 4x20 LCD working with Joe Daltons HD44780 Driver. Unfortunately the backlight keeps turning of after i start MP. With LCD smartie everything works fine. Has anybody got an idea?

Regards, B:

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Balatron,

you can ask Cybrmage to check this, he is the only guy working on ExternalDisplay stuff as JoeDalton has left...
    and he did a so good job with other drivers...

Simone

Balatron

Portal Member
    October 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok thanks, i´ll try to reach him. The funny thing is it worked at the beginning. Now the backlight only flickers slightly in the beginning and if i close MP - strange...

Corn

March 10, 2008
    I'm new to Media Portal, have been using GBPVR but prefer Medial Portal.

Back on topic.

I have a H44780 and have tried all the H44780 type none of them display anything except for Joe Daltons driver, but I have the same problem, the back light flickers then turns off, making reading the display impossible.

Hope this can be fixed soon.

Balatron, you mentioned that it did work. Would it be possible to get an older version of the LCD plugin and Joe Daltons H44780 driver and use it with the current release of Media Portal.

Balatron

Portal Member
    October 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

sorry i could´nt solve the problem in MP. I have just put the backlight on "always on". so its permanently on (A swich on the lights PCB).

If you figure out how it goes let me know.

Corn

March 10, 2008
    Have found some old LCD drivers, but did not work.

How do you permanently turn on the back light ????

Corn

March 10, 2008
    Have rolled back to the previous version with the same results.

So with Joe Dalton's retirement from maintain the LCD plugin, my best option is to get a different LCD display or some how turn the back light permamently on, which I don't know how to do.

Corn

March 10, 2008
    Well I got around the problem with the HD44780. I've changed the LCD device to Clipboard. Then I wrote a program that outputs the info to the LCD when the clipboard datachanges. I already had written a program to interface with the HD44780 so was not difficult.

Just need to tweak the application. So if media portal is not running the LCD turns off and when running LCD turns on. Plus some other tweaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom